Help with older Lsi speakers please.

Options
rockokma
rockokma Posts: 4
I have two Lsi15's, one LsiC and two LsiFX speakers. A friend was holding on to them for a few years. I just got them back. I used to run the fronts on an Emotiva amp. I now have a receiver only. Onkyo TX-RZ830.

The Lsi15's sound fine.

The center channel LsiC woofers aren't working. When I press the right one in, it works for a bit. The left doesn't seem to work at all.

I figured I may be able to pay someone to fix the woofers on the center for $100-$200. A speaker repair shop said it's most likely the voice coil and could be fixed. Then I thought I could just purchase the Lsi704c for around $250-$300. Not sure if it will sound well with my Lsi15's and FX though. Any thoughts? Should I fix or purchase Lsi704c?

Lastly, the LsiFX's both play the receiver test tone from only on woofer. Is this normal?

I'm not savvy with speakers, so I may be lost if you ask me any very techy questions.

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm currently running Lsi9's with a LsiM706c. It's not a perfect timbre match, but close enough such that it's not distracting.

The Lsi line are 4 ohm speakers and are better suited to being powered by an amp. I'd keep the volume in check with the receiver or it'll be clipping. Although it sounds like your friend has already done the damage.

Do you have the jumpers between the hi & low terminals on the LsiFx?
  • rockokma
    edited May 2019
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I'm currently running Lsi9's with a LsiM706c. It's not a perfect timbre match, but close enough such that it's not distracting.

The Lsi line are 4 ohm speakers and are better suited to being powered by an amp. I'd keep the volume in check with the receiver or it'll be clipping. Although it sounds like your friend has already done the damage.

Do you have the jumpers between the hi & low terminals on the LsiFx?

Thanks. I may just try the Lsi704c and see how it sounds. I'm not an audiophile, so hopefully I don't notice it at all.

The timbers on the LsiFx are on.

For the center channel, I just switched the left and right woofers. The woofer on the right now plays fine, the woofer on the left plays lows, but no dialog and no test tone. I tried another woofer out of a speaker that was working on the test tone. I put that woofer on the left side of the center channel, played the test tone, and it made no sound as well.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,982
    Options
    704 a no-brainer on sale at Adorama
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I can tell you from personal experience, the woofers in the LSiC are crossed over at different points. One woofer covers mid-range frequencies while the other handles low end frequencies. The LSiC is essentially a 3 way speaker. See circled sections of the attached photo.

ynt87iy5hysk.png

So it only stands to reason that one driver would be less visibly active while playing program material than the other. But that doesn't address why the one driver only works part of the time.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options
    @scubalab was selling LSi drivers recently.... maybe he's got 2 spare drivers for your LSiC.... IIRC he even HAD a LSiC he was selling for fairly cheap....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rockokma
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I can tell you from personal experience, the woofers in the LSiC are crossed over at different points. One woofer covers mid-range frequencies while the other handles low end frequencies. The LSiC is essentially a 3 way speaker. See circled sections of the attached photo.

ynt87iy5hysk.png

So it only stands to reason that one driver would be less visibly active while playing program material than the other. But that doesn't address why the one driver only works part of the time.

Wow, very interesting and helpful. I wonder if it's working properly then. The left is now working all the time, but does not make a sound when playing the test tone and does not make a sound for dialogue, only gives the bass.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    rockokma wrote: »
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

ynt87iy5hysk.png

Wow, very interesting and helpful. I wonder if it's working properly then. The left is now working all the time, but does not make a sound when playing the test tone and does not make a sound for dialogue, only gives the bass.

That makes sense since it’s crossed over @ 200 hz. That’s pretty low, definitely below a test tone...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,982
    Options
    Putting dough into LSi-C doesn’t seem cost effective as you won’t get it back. For a bit more you can get LSiM 704 - much better speaker
  • rockokma
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's help. I decided to call Adorama. I said to myself, if they can offer the Lsi706C for the deal price of $499 they had recently I will do it. I figured I'd give it a shot. It worked! They matched it :)