ATS sound panel chart

ALL212
ALL212 Posts: 1,553
edited May 2019 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Built this after conversation with @msg. From the ATS website but I built a graph showing the different levels of attenuation based on the panel and frequency attenuated.

yh9wtdehaklo.png
Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited May 2019
    Aaron, presuming the attenuation figure are in dBs?
    Are these in general, or with a particular/recommended panel placement location? Wasn't sure how they were tested.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ALL212
    edited May 2019
    msg wrote: »
    Aaron, presuming the attenuation figure are in dBs?
    Are these in general, or with a particular/recommended panel placement location? Wasn't sure how they were tested.

Here's where things get interesting...

No, those attenuation figures are not in db's. They are in sound absorption coefficients. If you bump around on the web of everything the definition of that factor appears to not exceed "1". 1 would be perfect absorption - no reflection.

Then if you visit either the ATS and GIK websites you'll find measurements that certainly exceed "1". And both reference that as the "sound absorption coefficient".

GIK's website details the testing procedure. ATS does not (or I just can't find it).

"The tests were carried out in the large reverberation room at the University of Salford (Manchester England). The room has been designed with hard surfaces and non-parallel walls to give long empty room reverberation times with uniform decays. It has the shape of a truncated wedge. In addition, 11 panels, each 1.22m x 2.44m, were hung in the room to improve the diffusivity of the sound field. The test sample was placed in the centre of the floor. The excitation signal comprised wide band random noise played into the room via a loudspeaker system mounted in a cabinet facing a corner. The sound was monitored at each of 5 microphone positions. The room is 7.4m long x ~6.6m wide x 4.5m high."

Hopefully both sites and any others selling sound absorption panels are using the same reference.

Here's a page detailing the differences is the various materials used:
    https://www.atsacoustics.com/page--Selecting-the-Right-Acoustic-Material--ac.html

The NRC (Noise Reduction Coefficient) value on that page must be some other value as even that one does exceed "1" on some materials but must be an overall value but I don't know how that is calculated either.

Keep in mind you can use this stuff in multiple layers and that also changes the values. See chart above for the 2" and 4" values.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

WIIIIILMAAAAA!!!!!!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    GIK graph - different products and slightly different format on the graph.

cdzwee8qjqa8.png

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    I'm a sending you something that makes kewl graphs!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    jtqnejs7m1w7.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    I forgot how to use it so when you figure it out, bring it back and show me. :)

0olryaw9stnt.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *