Best phono pre under $400?

ALL212
ALL212 Posts: 1,553
Friend of mine needs some recommendations. Schiit is already in the running.

Any ideas? $400 is max, tube would be cute but not necessary.
Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Used Parasound z-phono (w/o USB) for a hundy is as good as any in that price range in my humble opinion. Save a few hundred.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Used Jolida JD9 also comes to mind.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    I think the Lounge Audio LCR III phono preamp would be in budget.
    There is one visiting here now (shades of poor @mrbiron and the hostage situation with his Reduction!).

I can say that it sounds good.

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/lounge-audio-lcr-iii-phono-preamp-build-and-review-thread-the-doorway-giant-killer.3430/

lne3zra7nl8m.png
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Parks audio always has great price/performance

http://parksaudiollc.com/
    My New Year's resolution is 3840โ€‰ร—โ€‰2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Parks Audio Budgie
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    MoFi StudioPhono is well within budget. Sounds great. MM/MC gains and adjustable impedance. Dead quiet.
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    If used is an option, the Musical Surroundings Phonomena (original version) can be had for around $400. I believe there is currently a used one on Audiogon or U.S. Audio Mart for $375 (I know I saw it somewhere recently for that price). Although it has been updated to the current Phonomena II+ model, the original version is still a great phono pre.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I would not recommend the Schiit Mani. It can have RFI issues depending on environment. Why risk it?

For new, I'm with Skip on the Vista Audio Phono II. I listened to the one we had on tour around here a while ago.

For used, I'll add the Dynavector P75.

Lots of good choices in this thread, but I've had personal experience with the ones I've listed, but can't speak to the others.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Dynavector P75's are hard to find, but a solid recommendation if you can find one in the OP's stated price used. I sold mine back to George Daniels I think who had originally modified it, as it was a spare. Regretted that.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    hmm nobody mention Vincent PHO 8??????
    seriously as many polkies have this one as I did but sold it to get the PHO 700 which has a tube but didn't make much of a difference!
    https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VIPHO8

make sure you scroll down and read all the tons of great reviews from this add...and you will see why this is the only right choice!!! Go Vincent Audio!!!
    seriously I had the Parasound Z-phono and like it a lot and it should be a consideration..as I have love the Graham Slee Grand amp 2 but it is light wieght and the cables want to pull it off the table,, so I went to the Vincent PHO8 untill I chose to replace it with the Vincent pho700... but there was not a lot of difference between the two.

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • voltz
    edited May 2019
    I think the Lounge Audio LCR III phono preamp would be in budget.
    There is one visiting here now (shades of poor @mrbiron and the hostage situation with his Reduction!).

I can say that it sounds good.

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/lounge-audio-lcr-iii-phono-preamp-build-and-review-thread-the-doorway-giant-killer.3430/

lne3zra7nl8m.png

This is worth a consideration also...I have their SUT thanks to Rich @SCompRacer as I knew I needed a SUT for my High MC Cart! I like their SUT but have never heard their Phono amp but a brother of mine @msg has it and i think he has enjoyed it!

So you have many choice but I think the Vincent option is the best why??? because I Bias and love me some Vincent gear!

Post edited by voltz on
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited May 2019
    Yeah, as mentioned a-boove, the Budgie, Lounge LCR, and Vincent PHO-8 as Brotherman Darryl mentions above. These are all enjoyable at $400 or less.

I think my favorite-favorite of these three is the Vincent. Solid. Separates. Smooth.

I'm not sure Shannon's making the Budgie anymore, but has another item on his page that looks interesting - the Puffin. Intrigued...
    It's got buttons AND a knob!
    tq4su3c5evn5.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    wow I like the looks of the Puffin :smiley: And yes Parks Audio is always a contender in the world of Phono amps and SUT's!

• voltz
    you know my Lounge audio SUT is Variable and I love that about it. I can make it volume level that same as my SACD player...so I would fire up my Vinyl to match the SACD as best I could..then I would hit the source button to switch between the 2 to see which I preferred when playing the same album..I like the vinyl better every time .but my sister prefer the SACD :'( go figure the apple doesn't always fall the same way from the tree :p

she felt the SACD was warmer? what???? it was the other way around>>>> ARGH!!!

she hate Steely Dan which I love and I love super tramp, but she feels they are to bright and fatiguing....WE can't be related I swear.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Your sister has good taste where Steely Dan is concerned :D
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I have a Puffin in my stable, and it is a very cool unit...sounds good, too. Keep in mind it is a DSP, but don't let that throw you or make you hesitate. It is incredibly flexible if you like to tweak the sound with frequency 'tilting' and what not.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • ALL212
    any one hear of the Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Communicator? Spelling might not be quite right...

And thanks for all the input!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    edited May 2019
    Yes sir, I had a Parasound Z-phono, but it was big to for my rack so I went with the Graham Slee Grand Amp 2 (but it did not say Communicator on it. but it was several years ago.)
    Both the parasound and Graham slee were very good and the Slee was a tad better.

THe only reason I got rid of it was because it was so light the cables would pull it off my rack :( I had to weight it down.

So I switch to the Vincent Pho-8 and then to the Vincent Pho-700!

I sound the Slee to Greg a polkie in Canada who has the big La'Scala's and he like it enough to upgrade to another higher price GRaham Slee phono amplifier.

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    I'm going to put a vote in for Cambridge.
    I'm quite pleased with the Azur 651P I bought from @scubalab .
    Very neutral. Clean. It allows me to discern source differences, even with my modest kit.

Their new stuff (Alva) even fits the price point.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    "I suggest blah, blah, blax, x, x, x. It's what I use so it has to be the best. Have I compared it to anything else in this price range? Of course not, but it's what I use so it has to be the best."

Typical response to what's best ***** thread in every audio thread in the history of mankind! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    edited May 2019
  • voltz
    "I suggest blah, blah, blax, x, x, x. It's what I use so it has to be the best. Have I compared it to anything else in this price range? Of course not, but it's what I use so it has to be the best."

Typical response to what's best ***** thread in every audio thread in the history of mankind! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

wow dude your like a vinyl guru that most of us have come to look to for advise and enjoy what you have shared with us. So I don't understand you comment?

what did you find so dang offensive that we posted? he looking for a good phono amp all we did was recommend what we have heard and liked for the under $400 price! and you just heard blah blah blah???? I don't understand you feeling here? BAd day?care to share what you would recommend?

• ALL212

Sure do appreciate you crapping on the thread. It's quite manly of you.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Dawgfish
    edited May 2019
    Ok guys. First off I apologize to ALL212 and the other posters of this thread. My intention was not to crap on the thread or the responses here on this thread, but I can see now that it did just that, so again my sincere apologies are extended. Second this was not specifically directed towards any specific comment on this thread or poster here on this board.

My response was intended to be tongue in cheek/humurorus, but I can see now without clarification that it can be taken to be just the opposite. My bad and again my sincere apologies.
  • ALL212
    edited May 2019
    @Dawgfish

I've thought about what you've written and you are absolutely correct. We have many posts here from folks that have little to no experience with devices other than what they currently own. In many cases opinions are placed based on hearsay and a rough fumbling at the interpretation of specifications without actually hearing anything (or having heard something similar years and years ago). And, if nothing else, this particular hobby is all about listening.

I know I've been very disappointed in posts by members here voicing the glory of or disappointment of equipment without actually having heard it.

Everyone's ears are different. Each system is unique to the equipment and environment it is placed in.

Please don't follow that crowd, except in jest and only then after insuring that you've indicated the jest.

No harm now that I understand where you were coming from. B)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Dawgfish
    edited May 2019
    Thanks for your understanding and please know my comments were definitely not meant to be mean spirited. I did indeed derail your thread and I'm really sorry about that.

To be honest I was including myself in the group because let's face it, unless one has unlimited budget and time, can one ever truly hear all the options out there in a giving category? I certainly don't nor do I know anybody that does. I can only caveat answers moving forward by saying "I've had good luck with......."

It's all good! Thanks again and happy listening! Cheers!