Sigh...then there was only the FX Audio

Options
Been having some balance and imaging issues for a while and recently I feel it has gotten worse. I am positive that it is from my Denon PRA-1200 pre, if I rotate the balance knob 10-20 times the image corrects itself dead center....then it slowly drifts back off center.

I did clean this sucker with Deoxit a couple months ago, at this point I am apprehensive to do it again and thinking of just replacing the pot. That however will take some time, research and practice (I am NOT a DIY guy). For the time being I am going to get my FX Audio plugged in directly to the Adcom and roll with it.

The FX is nice enough but I don't like how it interacts with the Adcom. For instance with my Denon connected I hit the power off on the Adcom, wait 20 seconds, get my two pops and I am good to disconnect, fiddle and all that good stuff. With the FX connected I hit the power off on the Adcom, wait 45 seconds, get a squeal and then have to wait 10-15 minutes before I can disconnect anything or fiddle. It's odd, I have no idea why one preamp would allow the Adcom to completely discharge and cut off within 20 seconds but the other takes 15 minutes.

Oh well, the things we do to keep the music alive yeah?

I'll poor one out for the Denon tonight. :'(
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    edited May 2019
    Options
    That sucks Cody. In the mean time, I bet @mhardy6647 might have something to loan you to get you through...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Oh no need. He has already given me some on my first foray into tubes. Just airing frustrations.

The FX Audio is not bad sounding at all so there is still good sound coming out of this house.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    I'll poor one out for the Denon tonight. :'(

^Made me lol. All jokes aside I know the feeling. I was bummed when my Pioneer dvd player that I used as a cdp pooped the bed.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    You rang?

One thing we're a little short on around here is preamps.
    More to the point -- good preamps.
    There're a few bad preamps here, though ;)

Case in point -- anyone "need" the services of a PAT-4? ;)

14979446696_d3ca400452_b.jpgDSC_9819 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    You rang?

One thing we're a little short on around here is preamps.
    More to the point -- good preamps.
    There're a few bad preamps here, though ;)

Case in point -- anyone "need" the services of a PAT-4? ;)

14979446696_d3ca400452_b.jpgDSC_9819 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Interesting that the Pre and the Amp both have tone controls?
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited May 2019
    Options
    They're just stacked for storage/display -- the integrated is a Dynaco SCA-35 (push-pull EL84 stereo integrated with a rudimentary preamp) and the preamp is a Dynaco PAT-4 (their first transistor preamp; and a pretty poor one at that). The PAT-4 would typically have been paired with a Dynaco ST-80 or ST-120 (early Dynaco transistor power amps). There is an ST-120 here, too, actually, but I've never had the inclination nor the nerve to smoke-test it, much less rehab it. It's just kind of... here.

I have used the PAT-4; it's not quite as dreadful as these preamps' reputation would suggest -- but it's no great shakes sonically. The soiled solid state Dynacos were freebies, so I am not actually complaining, though :)

The SCA-35 is a decent sounding component. I had it hooked up at this house while we still had the house in MA "on line". The Dynaco ST-35 PP EL84 stereo power amp was/is a far nicer component, though. Wish I had one of those.

Now... what was this thread about, again?

:#
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    Ones an Integrated... Makes since. Sorry for derailing the thread.