My brother is screwed now because he smokes the weed?

Dabutcher
Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
So my brother has had a bad back for about ten years now. Has not worked in that time. Has had two surgeries and a lot of other treatments. He takes about two or three different painkillers to help him through the day and to sleep. Also on anti-anxiety drugs. Doctor had him take a drug test a few months back. He did not read the fine print. He thought it was their way of monitoring that he was taking the drugs they prescribed. Dr. sees him about a month ago. Tells him that because he is using THC , he can no longer prescribe him any drugs . So he goes to a different Dr. and he tells my bro that nobody can prescribe home any painkillers because his record is world wide now . So now my brother hardly gets any sleep and is in pain all the time. He lives in Wisconsin. I am worried that he will kill himself . They are talking about giving him some meds {painkillers},June 31st. He has already been depressed because he feels worthless because he cannot work and feels probably less of a man. I don’t even know about his love life with his wife of thirty years?
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Love yours. D
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    D, sorry to hear about this, and I agree that the laws are ridiculous, but that doesn't help your brother now.

If you want to help him now, find out what he needs and see how you can source them. Lots of docs prescribe under the table, you order on the dark web, local dealers, etc. While I think that is a major problem in general, if it was my brother I would take advantage to keep him alive. imho and all...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    As long as insurance is involved, and laws the way they are becoming with painkillers, it will not lighten up. Insurance is continually looking for ways to minimize their exposure. It's hard enough to get good, proper care if you're straight as an arrow...if they know you're self medicating or abusing meds it only gets harder.

Hopefully he can find someone to talk to (counselor, therapist, etc) while he's hoping going through this and they can come up with a plan.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited May 2019
    I agree, this country's drug laws are soooo f'd up that people who need pain help, can't hardly get it.

But people who want to abuse pain meds...can get more than they need? it's frikn backwards!

I guess your brother messed up smoking some god awful mind destroying natural plant ( just kidding! I feel herb is like alcohol, there's 5% or 151% levels. People should be able to decide how much of either is what they need) along with his pain meds and that's a no-no. OK warn him and let him decide if he needs more pain meds or if he likes to smoke along with the meds. Work with him medical society!!!!

Now if he drinks and takes pain meds...they feel that's ok, don't they!!!

That combo is 1000 times worse than smoking herb and pain meds. I know a guy whos son was on pain meds for most of his 26 year life. It was when he DRANK too much alcohol and took his pain pills that he went to sleep and didn't wake up.

I've said a lot about this pain killer abuse and how it's affected people who need serious help with their pain and how hydrocodone or OxyContin helps more than anything else on this planet. Addictive..?...hell yea, if you call wanting to be pain free all the time addictive, who wouldn't want that?!!

I was lucky to have gone through pain and taking pills for relief. I took what they gave me but they gave me what I felt like I needed. They NEVER gave me more! Am I an exception to millions who get pills thrown at them and then have their kids or others close to them steal their many extras for a buzz? I'm almost pain free now but I'm LUCKY! My pinched nerves relieved themselves due to a miracle or two.

I stayed away from alcohol the whole time I was taking pain meds BECAUSE I KNEW of the danger of drinking and pain meds! I smoked a little herb once in a while and it didn't do much except make me paranoid as hell so I rarely joined friends when they partook in their relaxation methods being it smoke or beers.

Sorry for this rant but it's toward our governmental blanket about pain meds and this addiction theory. I didn't get addicted to pain pills, I got addicted to feeling good without tension from hell under my skull 24 hrs. a day. I'm not the addiction type personality either. I have hobbies and desires that keep me from diving into head rushes every chance I can get. I'm a LEO and we like nice things. Addicts don't usually hold onto nice things. My older brother is a fine example of a partier every chance he can get. He doesn't own hardly anything but he lives his life like he wants too. He made it to 65 I believe and he smoked herb all his adult life. That's HIS relaxation chemical.

I did see on TV the other night a Lady who's fighting to wake up this Government to the fact that people NEED this Hydrocodone and OxyContin pain killing abilities and it's getting DAMN HARD for them to get them anymore. She also said she was glad some states are legalizing herb so people can get their relaxation from it instead of alcohol.

I hope your brother can get relief anyway he can.

I thought I was going to have to go to alcohol since this city and the government made my pain med needs a way for my doctor to scam me and our insurance Co. out of 20,000.00 a month ILLEGAL SUBSTANCE URINE TESTS.

SERIOUSLY...A doctors office gets 20K to see if I smoked HERB or shot HEROIN or Dilaudid or Fentanyl? Why not test us for ALCOHOL when we walk in for a visit?!!!!! What would it cost? 1.00?...Give me a break! This is a National money making scam derived from drug addicts who have personal problems of some kind that are serious enough and their drug or alcohol usage is a way to escape or forget their life's dilemma.

Alcohol and pain meds or Heroin and whatever... That's the combo or opioid( Heroin or Dilaudid or Fentanyl) that KILLS!

Alcohol is easily tested for too.....But NO....our government wants to make a National scene over younger people mostly but sure there's older ones too, addiction to HEROIN mostly.

Sorry for this rant but this hits home hard for me. I know herb and I know alcohol are pretty much the same for relaxation but to stop a person's pain help because of herb is the wrong punishment in the worst way. Give a person a warning for god's sake.

God, I know what your brother must be feeling like right now! :s:'(

Maybe a trip to the ABC store and also get some herb to go with it huh?

That's what our medical society and government wants him to do now isn't it!

Then if he messes up by driving or any number of things drunk people do, the local government can make $$$$ off his penalty and fines! :s

SAD.

I wish you and him a MIRACLE. That's what he's going to need now...and fast!

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Marijuana prohibition is asinine.
  • Tony M
    edited May 2019
    I agree. I've known managers of BIG Co.s that wood smoke before meetings. If somebody above them found out, their jobs would've surely been in jeopardy probably. But that was 40 years ago too.

I think this herbal assault started in the 20's I think.

Prohibition!

People loved alcohol. That's been known for thousands of years.

Government wanted to control who made alcohol for TAXATION and also to stop the Cocaine epidemic at the same time that was taking over the Country.

No Cocaine meant more alcohol sales would follow and that = Tax income.

Government won didn't they!

You can see the childish IDIOTS we have in our House of Representatives and Senate governing our Country every day now. It's ( idiots in charge) been going on for way too long! Things are finally changing for herbal acceptance a little though! :) And at the same time, stricter laws towards pain meds prescriptions have sprung up. :#

But the law makers still want votes and campaign $$$$. That, I think, will sadly never change. Therein lies the BIG corruption opportunity widows / doors. :'(
  • Tony M
    BIOFREEZE roll-on has helped me during some tense events with my neck since I don't get Hydro anymore. The stuff REALLY helps me.

Maybe it will ease the muscle tension in his back until June 31st.

I've recommended it to a couple of people and it helps them somewhat too.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    This nanny-State bullchit needs to end. Legalize it ALL - marijuana, cocaine, heroin, meth, etc... the government should have ZERO say in what someone puts in their own body. As long as you pay for it yourself, and do not infringe on anyone else’s rights when you partake, knock yourself out.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Tell him to stop smoking weed...wait a month, then get drug tested for specifically marijuana. Ask for a printed copy of the test results. If he is no longer a user, the prescription meds should be able to resume.

This can't be a lifetime ban of meds if you smoke once when you are 15, why would it be any different for him?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Can he move to a state where is legal? crap he could move up here where it's legal all across the country. I know that a far step. Heck ask Joey if this is true that it gets put on your record especially world wide. Think about that for a sec. Do you really think a Mexican Dr or Canadian Dr or some European Dr has access to his file? smells a little fishy to me.
  • Tony M
    edited May 2019
    I want to know about this "thing that docs know or see something according to our SS#" because I had this one SNITTY weird Doc. ask me why I was wanting to be a "patient" at his facility. I told him for my health care.

He asked "No, really, why are you here?"

I said again, "for my heath care".

He looked at me and said they don't prescribe pain pills there. WTH was he infering? That I was only there for pain pills because I had received them at the other scamming doctor's facility?

He was 2nd THE RUDIST doc. I have ever encountered. There was another ruder one. The FIRST doctor I ever went too. I had this neck injury for a couple or more months from the lake diving and hitting something underwater... and a hernia starting in my groin. The diving into the lake should've made me a quadriplegic but I had a big chest and my head could only bend so far down thank God. I did have a near death experience with that incident so it WAS a serious impact for sure.

Well the first doc examined me and said my neck WAS limited in motion but he couldn't feel my hernia. I wear my life on my sleeve for all to read and I offered up ( I've known for 40 years now it was a mistake but...) that when a friend gave me a "white cross pill" and that helped my neck tremendously. I knew it was speed...everybody in the country knew that. :/ I took 5 white crosses in my life...whoa, big drug addict I am. I took one before the doctor visit and then 4 at one time to start work hanging drywall for that day. I was what...18 or 19 at the most and didn't know any better. I was JUST offering what helped my serious neck problem for that first time taking one. I thought the doc could use the info as to what my neck injury could be if all info is laid out on the table.

He said there was nothing he could do.

I go home and my Mom asks WTH did I say to that doctor. I asked what's the matter. She said the doc said I went to get drugs to get high on and that I had a serious drug problem.

I most certainly have NEVER had a drug problem of any kind except when the pain clinic here took away the Hydro and prescribed Morphine for my neck pain at that time. Right to the couch I went. I hated!! Morphine. It numbs your whole body and I was a workaholic all my life. So I had a problem with this drug addicted PA switching me to something I shouldn't have been put on at all!

So has my first ever doctor visit been following me for 40 years?

Probably... :s:D

I know a girl who would fake back injuries to get her and her baby daddy pain pills to get high on. She went to many places around this town years ago and GOT THOSE pills. Here I was trying to get something for my serious neck pain and was having a hard time AT 51 years old too. :s

I think I'll search the web and see IF IT'S ON THERE about a red flag for pain pill users that also happen to partake in herb or other non-prescribed pills too that follows us around country connected to our SS# or name and addresses.
    Post edited by Tony M on
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited May 2019
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I hate living in this pot loving state of Colorado, yes the economy is great here, and the value of my home has skyrocketed but all n all it has ruined this state IMO, we have more people living on the streets begging for money, it’s not even safe to walk downtown even in the day time, traffic sucks, you can’t even go to some of your favorite places in the mountains without seeing where someone vandalized something, I’m not saying all people who smoke are douch bags but plenty of them have moved here just to live around getting high, funny thing is I was okay with it becoming legal, I didn’t see the wall of worthless fk’s moving here because of it..

Larry many moved there thinking they were going to get "rich" working in the weed business. A few years ago I heard so many people here in Illinois trying to recruit folks to move out there promising 65-70k a year working for grow businesses. My kids even asked me about it after my trip out there. I told them it was all BS. Now they are going to legalize it here and they keep projecting such and such billions of tax dollars and wages for the workers. Their projection for tax dollars coming in is almost twice what California has collected since it's inception and they're projecting that for the first year.
    It's all BS with the "billions" they have projected and they only want to use 10% of the money to pay down our bills and severely behind retirement programs the state has promised. I knew from the get go this was just another money grab by the libtards since they have raped and pillaged all the other funds from retirement, education, roads etc.
    The national government needs to just legalize it period and things should straighten out one would hope.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2019
    Willow wrote: »
    Can he move to a state where is legal? crap he could move up here where it's legal all across the country. I know that a far step. Heck ask Joey if this is true that it gets put on your record especially world wide. Think about that for a sec. Do you really think a Mexican Dr or Canadian Dr or some European Dr has access to his file? smells a little fishy to me.

JF, it doesn't matter if the every state legalizes marijuana, it is still illegal at the federal level! So long as that remains the case every hospital and MD in this country has to be careful. Every hospital, receives federal funding via Medicare, they need that money to survive, if they lose it they close.

If you apply to any hospital or other companies that receive federal funding for a job, a lab test is mandatory, if you come up positive for a whole list of things you better have a script for it or the job offer is rescinded, but this doesn't include marijuana because it is still illegal at the federal level.

If you apply for life insurance, unless it is a small amount or you are a child, blood/urine screens are mandatory. You test positive for illegal drugs/HIV, you are denied coverage. That information goes into a natl. system that EVERY insurance company uses. So if you think you can just go to another company and get a policy... it's not going to happen!

Drug stores chains are now all linked and they can tell which ones you have been to in order to fill prescriptions, if it is less than a certain time, they won't fill the script.

Fewer and fewer MDs are going to risk their license writing you endless scripts, and hospitals certainly won't.

Unfortunately, this country has a huge drug addiction problem, and lots of people are dying. Some of the fault lies with people, and some lies with the medical community over prescribing.

If you think these corporations are going to put themselves in jeopardy of losing everything for you, think again.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited May 2019
    This has nothing to do with your brother using marijuana. It was just a convenient excuse for the doctor to drop him. With the misguided legal opioid crackdown doctors can lose their licenses if they prescribe needed pain medication too long. So the people really in need are screwed.

THC /cannabidiol are supposed to be the new non opioid wonder drugs for pain and mostly legal now. Having some in your system means nothing. The reason doctors give you drug tests are to see if you are using other illegal opioids. Then you are flagged as an abuser.

• cfrizz
    Well if you have either legal prescription drugs that none of your MDs have prescribed or illegal drugs in your system, then it is a pretty good conclusion that you ARE an abuser. Especially if you come in asking for more drugs. This isn't rocket science.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Well, marijuana is NOTHING like Cocaine, acid, LSD (if you can even find that anymore) Ti-sticks, Juji flies, meth and the like. Taking a puff of marijuana for most people is just a different type of high from alcohol.....yet, people don't die from marijuana.

Case in point, one who smokes the most potent Mary Jane out of the best pressure bong will not see two telephone poles walking across the street.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    If it becomes Federally legal big Corp will take over and all the little guys are skeerewed anyway
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Cathy, I definitely know about the black mark for insurance companies as I used to work in the underwriting dept. I just find it odd that the Dr would say worldwide. Seems far fetched. I don't smoke pot but I sure am glad it's legal up here so much less b.s.
  • Clipdat
    John, I think you're actually referring to "K2" and other forms of "synthetic cannabinoids": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_cannabinoids
  • pitdogg2
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    If it becomes Federally legal big Corp will take over and all the little guys are skeerewed anyway

Already has Ron. One of the tobacco companies just bought into BIG grow companies for 1.7 billion dollars. They are salivating at the prospect of this becoming legal nation wide.
    He in Illinois i think the application fee for a dispensary license is $25,000 and sky rockets to $500,000.00 IF you get approved for one. The little doesn't have a chance.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Well, marijuana is NOTHING like Cocaine, acid, LSD (if you can even find that anymore) Ti-sticks, Juji flies, meth and the like. Taking a puff of marijuana for most people is just a different type of high from alcohol.....yet, people don't die from marijuana.

Case in point, one who smokes the most potent Mary Jane out of the best pressure bong will not see two telephone poles walking across the street.

Tom

You're forgetting about lung cancer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    edited May 2019

The modern weed is not at all what it used to be. It has been made FAR more potent, and yes, it can kill, or get others killed. There have been cases already of people smoking these new blends and dying from that one use... There are news articles from all over the country a google search away that blow that premise out of the water.
    BS John i googled it found this

https://www.quora.com/How-many-people-have-died-from-smoking-weed

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/can-marijuana-kill-you#1

Google seach sure didn't reveal anything like that John.

As for lung cancer yes it is possible a raised risk vut many studies have yet to show what increase risk it is as many also smoke cigarettes. I will say this much I smoked for much of my youth and never smoked cigarettes at all. My lung function is in very good shape and has been tested. Most all the lung doctors I went to were not too concerned.
  • cfrizz
    daddyjt wrote: »
    This nanny-State bullchit needs to end. Legalize it ALL - marijuana, cocaine, heroin, meth, etc... the government should have ZERO say in what someone puts in their own body. As long as you pay for it yourself, and do not infringe on anyone else’s rights when you partake, knock yourself out.

Are you that much in denial about the dangers of operating under the influence?

It's not you that I care about, it's the innocent person that you kill while you are high as a kite. And nine times out of ten, the killer walks away with barely a scratch, but someone else who was just going along ends up in a casket. You infringed on an innocent persons right to life with your abuse to your body and they paid the price for it.

It's about the innocent person who gets killed for their money so you can buy your next fix.

If you want to kill yourself go right ahead, but you DON'T have the right to take anyone else with you!

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Texas is booming in all aspects of industrial, technical, and construction, but you have to be able to test negative. There’s not a conclusive test for MJ on job site occurrences so those that say they can’t find a job is BS because they can’t pass the test
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    Quick @Hermitism, post a photo of cowboy boots to defuse the tension in this thread!

• charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    I'm 55 and I've never known anyone who smokes it recreationally who borders on poverty. I cannot think of one I know who takes care of anything or ever has enough money. Have one in the family who smokes it constantly and logical conversation doesn't exist. He's 32 and a welder and he's just white trash who doesn't think he has a problem.

Can someone who has medical issue use it without the THC? I still thank my deceased mother who kicked my butt to the curb when I smoked it in my early teens. To the moral authority out there, your not being fair to the meth heads,coke heads...