Woodstock 50th Anniv. 38 CD box set out in August

pglbook
pglbook Posts: 2,163
edited May 2019 in Music & Movies
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjS6-ev6o7iAhWmneAKHUxAAkcQFjAJegQIABAB&url=https://www.rhino.com/article/woodstock-celebrates-50-years-with-comprehensive-38-cd-deluxe-boxed-set&usg=AOvVaw0pqiuQ8wkvCHU9_v4kXHZw

Rhino announced yesterday (see link above) its release of a massive 38 CD Woodstock 50th Anniversary Edition box set in August. Limited to 1969 copies. $800. It will be the (near) complete concert festival, every song by every artist, with the exception of 2 Jimi Hendrix songs (of course, EH had to be the one dissenting voice to make it complete) and a Sha Na Na track that was missing or had some other problems.

Wow, I'd love to get it, and have spent lots of money on Grateful Dead and other box sets over the years, but $800 is too much for me, considering I'd probably only listen to most of it once. But it is very cool they are doing this (one reason they are doing it now is to keep it out of Public Domain in Europe according to copyright laws there).

They are also issuing smaller 10 CD, 3 CD, and 5 lp versions of the bigger box.

I have the Woodstock 6 CD box set that come out years ago and that should be enough for me.

Comments

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    May get the 10cd set for 150
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    I can’t see spending $800 either. Set would not get enough spins to justify that much money.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • pglbook
    edited May 2019
    This is not sold out (just announced yesterday) and copies are still available for pre-order sale at $800 but, of course, some shyster already has a copy listed on eBay for $1500.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Based on some articles, a lot of work over many years was put into getting the tapes into shape to produce this set. Is it worth $800? About half of the music is not available elsewhere, so I'm guessing Rhino is protecting the copyright on the material that has already been published elsewhere. Apparently some of the artists have said their performances at the concert were nowhere near what they should have been because of various factors. I'd also be in the camp where the whole set is not of much interest to me, but maybe a few of the CDs would be of interest. Personally, I'd wait for the reviews to come out on what discs are worthwhile and which ones are junk. If Rhino has something on disc, they tend to sell it off piecemeal over time too after the novelty of a little plywood box and a fake guitar strap has worn off.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Many if not most - possibly all - of the artists were dosed; not always by their choice.
    The Dead's performance at Woodstock, e.g., was famously bad (presumably they had their own drugs, though).
    Unfortunately, the Woodstock 1969 performance was not as iconic as one would think. The fabled rain had made the stage a potential electrical hazard, which resulted in a final delayed starting time of 10:30pm. Long breaks between songs, inherently dragging tendencies, and substance induced hazes created a notoriously long and sub-par performance for the quintessential hippie jam band.

In the recording of the set, there are about 10 minutes of drug induced banter and confusion which resulted in a 50 minute song; too long even for The Dead. The performance was simply not their best work nor was it conducive for keeping the attention of the crowd. The mere five song set which spanned over 90 minutes was said to have produced a wave of sleepiness over the viewers. Following the set was a hum-drum performance by Creedence Clearwater Revival whose mundane outing is said to be a direct result of the Dead’s prolonged occupation of the stage.
    source: http://www.woodstockstory.com/gratefuldead.html

or, as Jerome John Garcia put it himself:
    Jerry: Well, we played such a bad set at Woodstock. The weekend was great, but our set was terrible. We were all pretty smashed, and it was at night. Like we knew there were a half million people out there, but we couldn't see one of them. There were about a hundred people on stage with us, and everyone was scared that it was gonna collapse. On top of that, it was raining or wet, so that every time we touched our guitars, we'd get these electrical shocks. Blue sparks were flying out of our guitars.
    source: http://deadsources.blogspot.com/2013/11/february-1971-jerry-garcia-interview.html
  • pglbook
    Someone over at the Hoffman site listed the full track list, including track times, for each of the 38 CDs in this box set. And, because each CD is devoted to a single artist, quite a few of the CDs are fairly short; some are in the 32-35 minute range.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I am not sure if I ever want to see or hear it again.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited May 2019
    Wouldn't mind having it on the hard drive just for giggles, but that would be about it.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    Meh....I have passed on anything Woodstock all these years, never liked anything I have heard from it, definitely not worth $800 IMO!!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    Ok I forgot about Ten Years After performance, that was gold, still not worth $800.. LOL!!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Ten Years After is the only thing I remember from the Woodstock film. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.