Center Channel Help

jmt_76
jmt_76 Posts: 11
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
Hello,
I am just wondering what you all recomend for a center channel to go with my RT8 front speakers? I want something like the CS400i cause I plan on upgrading my RT8s in the future. Suggestions? Thanks.

Jason
Post edited by jmt_76 on

Comments

• rodneyat
    rodneyat Posts: 67
    edited April 2002
    Jason,
    Since you do not have new fronts yet, I would recommend the CSi40 being that the CS400i has been discontinued and already hard to find. The same goes with the RT800i's which are the good match for the CS400i. Going with the CSi40 would give you a good start on the way to upgrading to the RTi70 or RTi38's up front.

Rodney
    Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
  • jmt_76
    edited April 2002
    Thanks for the reply. I have found a few places that have the CS400i for $299.99. Is the CS245i any good? Thanks.

Jason
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited April 2002
    Some people on the board seem to think that the CS400i is head and shoulders better than the CS245i. My experience has been that it isn't true. I think that they both sound quite good. At the end of the day, I think it depends on what type of main-speaker upgrade you're talking about. How big are you going to go?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Match the driver size to your mains, for closest timbre.

I had a CS300, very similar to the 245 and thought it was leaps and bounds above the 400 in clarity, especially on vocals. I prefer smaller-driver centers, they don't go quite as low, or as loud (for the most part), but I think they retain a better vocal quality, at least in the center channel position.

My mains right now have 6.5 inch drivers, and my center has dual 4.5's, and I couldn't be happier.

I'd like to see polk re-visit the CS350, or something like it.

Cheers,
    Russ

Most importantly, demo demo demo, trust your ears.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jmt_76
    edited April 2002
    I will probably be keeping my RT8s until they die cause I need to get better rears, sub, and a new amp before I upgrade the fronts. The CS400i should sound fine with my RT8s right?

Thanks.

Jason
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2002
    I had the exact opposite of Rusty up there. I started with the 245 and had problems hearing it. Vocals were muffled/quiet and sound effects/music were too loud. I was having to adjust the volume constantly.

I upgraded to the 400 and found it to be far superior. Very clear with vocals and solid for sound effects/music.

A lot will depend on room acoustics, speaker location, your seating location. Buy it somewhere you can return it and try them both. Listening in the store is one thing, bringing it home and listening to it is another.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2002
    The CS400i should sound fine with my RT8s right?
    As to your question. The drivers will be the same size 6.5" but the tweeters will be different. If I remember correctly, the RT8's have the black dome tweeter, not the tri-lam like in the 400. But, your only talking about 2kHz difference or so. The 400 should match just fine.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Yeah, most probably wouldnt even notice the difference. I can say one thing, it certainly won't sound BAD.

R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jmt_76
    edited April 2002
    Thanks for all your replies. I am going to keep my eye open for a CS400i or a CSi40. Thanks.

Jason
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    I had to match a center to my Monitor 10Bs. I've found that it depends more on the tweeter than the mids. I think that either of your choices will be fine. If you can find an older ??350?? (something or other), this might be a better choice. It may have been the Ls line.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • jmt_76
    edited April 2002
    My wife just bought me the CS245i for $179.99 from CC. Seems like a pretty good price to me. I will be hooking it up tonight. I am excited to finally have a good center channel. The lame Sony that I am using now really sucks.

Now on to finding some rears and a new receiver.

Thanks.
  • gmg
    gmg Posts: 22
    edited April 2002
    I have the CS 1000i for my main center. I've always thought there was a hole right above the tv where there was no sound. I have the 1000 on a stand down in front of the tv. I tried putting a 175 on top of the tv and jumped it off the 1000. Voila! no more hole. I know the tweets don"t match but I think the 175 helps tone down the tri-lam. Just my 2 cents worth. Gordo
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    I like Ron upgraded my center due to voice muddyness.I has the cs300 first and thought it was nice when I first bought it, then after time and time again turning up and down, I got it out and bought the cs400.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.