Chernobyl

Just watched this first episode on HBO. Was very well done and I will watch the rest. Horrible disaster that USSR covered up.

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited May 2019
    yes, I heard some true horror stories about what really happen..like firefights got instantly sick started throwing up.. and was dying trying to stop the fire's :'(

kind of like The Widow maker story of the Russian sub..so many gave their all to save others. some real heroes stuff here .
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I’ve been wanting to see this. Will watch tonight!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Just watched this first episode on HBO. Was very well done and I will watch the rest. Horrible disaster that USSR covered up.

Ha I lived it remember it vividly. All those who went in to fight it knowing they weren't going home.

Edit I wasn't there but was as well informed as could be at the time.

We had ours it was called 3 mile island years later we found out that it was a melt down that they swore never happened. Ours fortunately was better contained but was very close to much bigger catastrophe than it was.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Ha I lived it remember it vividly. All those who went in to fight it knowing they weren't going home.

Edit I wasn't there but was as well informed as could be at the time.

We had ours it was called 3 mile island years later we found out that it was a melt down that they swore never happened. Ours fortunately was better contained but was very close to much bigger catastrophe than it was.

Moral of the story ALL governments lie.
  • Nesmith98
    Nesmith98 Posts: 213
    I think I read somewhere that the "Elephants Foot" is still the most dangerous object on the planet.....Even more dangerous than 5 Guys french fries.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Good first episode.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    https://youtu.be/sX-DCIyDeLo

I have no idea why I never heard about this on the news. Incredible!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2019
    I'll have to check this out. Its crazy that I remember the day this happened and it was eleven days after my 20th birthday yet I've forgotten about the Pripyat community and how nice and modern it was. Maybe the aftermath overshadowed it? or maybe I forgot, but I read about it maybe 5-7 years ago and I was stunned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi5ObZMYrBM
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    I remember when this happened, and as a lifetime Long Islander, I am grateful that Shoreham never went online; I heard many bad stories from people who worked there during construction.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I met a Finnish chick in '86 and went to Finland to visit her in '87, which was not long after Chernobyl. The Finns were really ticked off and told me the Russians had gone around to all their satellite countries like Latvia, Estonia, etc. gathering up young men to clean up Chernobyl because they didn't want to use Russian men. (This was before the Wall came down and the breakup of the Soviet Union.) The Finns also said radioactive clouds had gone over Scandinavia and the farmers had to dump their milk as the grass and all kinds of other things on the land had been contaminated. I don't know the extent to which this was all true, but they were really piffed.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited May 2019
    There's truth to that Don, the majority of the cloud went north. It took about 10 days before the rooskis fessed up after multiple countries radiation alarms went beserk and they could no longer deny what was going on. Millions of people were exposed IIRC
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited May 2019
    Man made Medusa for sure as someone says in the third photo below. :s
    emp6awznhdlj.png

When this tech works...it's amazing. :)
    When it fails...it's hard to use words to describe the devastation to our environments. :/
    iol35r2ytdai.png
    8txeuonmldb3.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.