SDA 1B and Marantz MM7025 or Parasound A23

I'm using a Marantz PM8006 Integrated Amp currently to drive the SDA 1Bs and I must say that the sound quality pretty sweet to my ears. I am looking for a bit more power (headroom) since the current setup is running 100W RMS per/channel. I emailed Marantz about the published specs for the MM7025 Amp and although the specs list 8 and 6ohm ratings, the Marantz response to my inquiry stated that the MM7025 will deliver 260W RMS/channel at 4 ohms. My intentions are to continue to use the PM8006 as my Preamp and run a separate power amp.
So, my questions are:
1. has anyone used the MM7025 on the SDA series and if so, opinions about that amp.
2. The Parasound Amps seem get a lot of love here driving SDAs. Thoughts on the A23 Halo vs the MM7025 would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Gilberca
Main System: SDA 1B, Marantz PM8006, Parasound HCA1500, Marantz CD6006, B&O Tx2, Sonos Connect
Office setup: Marantz M-CR611, CNote Speakers
TV Room: Marantz SR5014, Polk TSI200s, TSI100s, Signature S10s, PSW125, TSI CS20, Sonos Connect

Comments

• JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Pick up the Parasound 1500a in the classifieds. Way better bang for the buck.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    @gilberca I'm not sure if there is to much of a difference between the 1B's & 1C's but, i was running my 1C's with a parasound 1500a and that match was definitely pleasing to the ears. Now i am running the 1C's off an A23 and the sound quality/power is great. I have not had the time to really sit down and do concert level listening but to date i have not heard any shortcomings using the a23. YMMV
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • gilberca
    gilberca Posts: 34
    Manticore: I think the 1C's are 6ohm rated whereas the 1B's are 4ohm.
    Thanks for the insight with respect to the 1500 and A23 characteristics.

Main System: SDA 1B, Marantz PM8006, Parasound HCA1500, Marantz CD6006, B&O Tx2, Sonos Connect
    TV Room: Marantz SR5014, Polk TSI200s, TSI100s, Signature S10s, PSW125, TSI CS20, Sonos Connect
  • gilberca
    JPete: Thanks for the suggestion. The price of the HCA1500 is definitely reasonable; considering shipping is included. Need to verify fitment in my cabinet since the amp is a bit deeper and taller.
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    I was tempted to buy it myself, but truly don't need anything else right now.

I hope it works out for you and gets you to the next level. It's always fun trying different gear.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    either of the Parasound amps will be a big improvement over either of those Marantz's you are looking at.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • gilberca
    audioluvr wrote: »
    either of the Parasound amps will be a big improvement over either of those Marantz's you are looking at.

Now I have very high expectations since the Marantz PM8006 I'm using, improved sound quality significantly over my SAE TWO PA10 and P10 combo. ;)
    I'm waiting to hear back from the seller of the HCA1500 before I pull the trigger on the Parasound option.
  • gilberca
    Ok. Ordered the Parasound HCA 1500 that was in the FS forum. Will update when I've had a chance to listen to it. I've got high expectations based on the opinions received....
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    I'm interested in your thoughts on the HCA 1500. I drive my 2Bs with my A23 with ease. I'd try another Pre before I changed my Amp.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    The Marantz MM7025 is no slouch and sounds quite good. However, since you have 1B's I think you made the better choice. Older, yes, more grunt, yes...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • gilberca
    Just to provide an update:
    The HCA1500 is due to be delivered on the 17th. I've already made space for it in the rack and should be able to get it installed and tested expeditiously. I do plan on popping the hood and verifying bias prior to installation.
    I should be able to provide preliminary listening test results by the end of the week.
  • gilberca
    As promised, here is my review/thoughts on the recommended HCA1500 amplifier:
    Thanks to JPete for recommending the amp in the first place.
    I received the amp earlier this week and it arrived in pristine condition thanks to the excellent packing job.
    Kudos to the seller, Audiocr381ve for making this a smooth transaction.

Before connecting it to the rest of my system, I popped the hood and performed a thorough cleaning. Afterwards, I set it up on the bench and powered on, letting it idle for while. I checked and adjusted the Bias per Parasound's specs. Initially the Bias was at 4-5mv. The spec called for 15mV +-2mV.
    Two notes of caution:
    1. Make sure you use mini grabbers on your meter since there is little room for error when measuring across the resistors.
    2. The adjustment pots are very sensitive so be very gentle when adjusting the bias.

Once I had the bias stabilized, I reassembled the unit and installed it into audio cabinet. No small feat here since the unit is almost 17" deep and the cabinet depth is 19". Not much clearance left for the IC cables and speaker wiring. I had to replace the Banana Plugs with Spades in order to fit the unit in the space.

I've now spent several hours listening to CDs, Sonos Streaming Music and Vinyl and can confidently declare that this amp ROCKS!
    I've heard details in several of my goto CDs (Donald Fagan Kamakiriad, Deep Forest, Dead Can Dance Into the Labyrinth, Telarc Sampler Volume 2) that I previously never noticed with either the Marantz or SAE Two P10 amp. There is a much more refined stereo separation and warmer sound from this amp as well as much more musical detail; even at lower volumes. When I listened to the Telarc disc last evening, I about jumped out of my chair when the Cannons were fired during the 1812 Overture. I've listened to this disc many times in the past without experiencing the impact of the Cannons firing. This amp has the umph when needed to easily drive my SDA 1Bs.

Thanks to all who provided valuable feedback and comments. Y'all were spot on with the Parasound HCA1500 recommendation!

Now back to listening...

Gilberca
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Glad you are enjoying that Parasound! Another "1812" fan here as I also use that disc at various times. I've had the 1C's and they do benefit from the added "umph" of a good amp...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Hard to beat the Parasound/vintage Polks combo! Glad you followed the advice offered.

gilberca wrote: »
    Make sure you use mini grabbers on your meter...
    That’s what she said! :/
  • jpdnkstr
    jpdnkstr Posts: 13
    Awesome review on the 1500a, I'm going to be browsing the classifieds for another one. They don't come up very often anymore.
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    Nice review and congrats on the new amp! The 1500A does have great synergy with Polk SDAs. I have one myself, matched with a Parasound P/LD 1500 pre amp, in use in a secondary system.