Anyone going to Jazz Fest?

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. First time for me. Any tips or advise?
HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I go about every year, but not this year. There are a whole bunch of stages set up around the fairgrounds. The Acura stage is the big one, Katy Perry headlines Sat and Van Morrison headlines Sunday, but it'll be a zoo at that stage with huge standing crowds. When the big crowd goes to see Katy Perry I use it as an opportunity to get up to the rail at some other stage, Boz Scaggs will be headlining at the Blues tent at the same time. The Blue Tent is under a real tent with folding chairs but on the weekends its crowded. Best to go to the act prior to the one you want to see and then between acts try to move way up. I like the Fais Do-Do stage, small Cajun/Zydeco usually but Steve Earle is headlining I think on Saturday, that will also be crowded but if you go to the act before Steve you may be able to move up close to the rail between shows when people are leaving. The Pine Leaf Boys are at the Fais Do-Do stage on Saturday right before Steve Earle and that's where I would be to end the day Saturday. Sunday morning I'd get there as soon as they open and go to the Blues Tent for Cedric Burnside. You'll likely get pretty close. Sunday's headliners are Van Morrison at the big stage (I saw him a few years ago there and he just went through the paces) Al Green and Johnny Rivers are also headlining at other stages Sunday. I don't know where you're staying while in New Orleans but lots to do otherwise. Sometimes the bands who are at Jazzfest will play in small clubs later that night or another day. I saw Lucinda Williams at the House of Blues one time that way. Lots of good grub, both at the fairgrounds but also around town. Avoid Bourbon Street, just smells like p#ss and p@ke, but there are some good bars in the French Quarter. Some bad parts of town, getting a cab to jazzfest is easy but getting one back afterwards can be a hassle they don't have a good setup. We usually walk Esplanade but its a long ways from the Quarter.
  • dromunds
    Oh, and get yourself a wide-brimmed hat to avoid sunburn and check the weather report, you can get downpours at this time of the year so don't be wearing any good shoes as you may be walking through little lakes here and there. Go to You Tube and check out some videos of past Fests and you'll see what people are wearing for hats. Some guys will bring a poncho if it looks like rain. Must've been two years ago Tom Petty was playing on Sunday and the whole day was rained out by a giant storm but they opened it back up just before Petty was scheduled. Lucky for me as that was his last tour. I even found a guitar pick engraved "40th Anniversary Tour"
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    Thanks, that is some good info. I’ll be in town for 4 days. I’m not familiar with a lot of the earlier acts but I’m sure there are a few gems in the bunch. Staying in Metairie with my brother in law and his wife. They’ll know how to get around. Definitely looking forward to the food as well. Dragro’s oysters will be had. Also hope to get to the WWII museum. That place is really cool.
  • dromunds
    WWII museum is great, but go when the crowds are lowest. I stayed in Metairie one year and drove in. Usually stay at a Residence Inn in the Warehouse District. If you have relatives you’re golden. There’s a good record shop right on Esplanade I think not too far from the fest.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Will they have any Jazz there?
  • dromunds
    Oh yeah, its called Jazz and Heritage Festival but its morphed into some of everything. They must have a dozen or more stages, blues, gospel, zydeco, rock, folk, jazz, world, you name it.
  • afterburnt
    @dromunds is it arrange so the acts on the various stages are staggered or do you have to choose carefully on what you will miss?
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    dromunds wrote: »
    WWII museum is great, but go when the crowds are lowest. I stayed in Metairie one year and drove in. Usually stay at a Residence Inn in the Warehouse District. If you have relatives you’re golden. There’s a good record shop right on Esplanade I think not too far from the fest.

Are we talking Louisiana? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • dromunds
    New Orleans WWII museum. It’s great. I went there when they first opened it and since then they’ve really grown and improved. Well worth it!
  • verb
    Nice! I'm a bit of a military history buff too. Every chance I get when I travel, I try to visit em.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Easy Runnin
    It’s awesome. Plan a multi-day visit. It’s that good.
  • afterburnt
    Souns like a blast, too bad there's gonna be peole there.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Souns like a blast, too bad there's gonna be peole there.

I knew there was something about you that I liked! ;)
    Danged people...
  • dromunds
    Well, how was Saturday at Jazzfest?
  • Easy Runnin
    Saturday was ok, Sunday was better. I got to see the Midnite Disturbers. They were good. I caught a portion of the piano professors at the blues tent. Got to see Jon Clearly and Davell Crawford. That was pretty interesting. Also saw part of Better than Ezra, and Hurray for the Riff Raff and all of Katy Perry. Sorry I missed Maggie Koerner and Boz Scaggs. Katy Perry was better that expected. I’m not a big fan but it was pretty good. She mixed it up a bit bringing out the Soul Rebels for a couple songs and a gospel choir for her last song.

Sunday was great. Got real good seats for Cedric Burnside. It was terrific. If you like southern blues he belongs on you playlist.
    Also saw Mdou Moctar. Another amazing musician. He played Hendrix type riffs with a South African vibe. Quite impressive. Caught him in the cultural exchange pavilion. The place was packed and Rockin. Saw some of the Dave Bartholomew/Fats Dominos tribute. That was pretty good. Quite a cast of musicians there. I didn’t know who Irma Thomas and Al Jackson were but I do now. After that I spent most of the day at the Acura stage for the end of Irma Thomas, followed by Bonnie Raitt and then Van Morrison. Good stuff.
  • verb
    Share some pics! :smile:
  • Easy Runnin
    I didn’t take too many pictures but here are a few
    4edwo6tbe2cs.jpeg
    c17iw2korhsp.jpeg
    0uu8kt1dqafp.jpeg
    qw1znzlu4cvf.jpeg
    3piag9ct102o.jpeg
  • dromunds
    Looks like you had good weather. I’ve seen lakes you had to wade thru after torrential rain. Lots nicer when sunny and 80.
  • verb
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing em! :smile:
  • dromunds
    My buddies sent from pics of second weekend and it looked like they had some pretty good rain at some point as there was one of little kids standing in a muddy little lake with their garden boots. Lol