Suggestions for Parasound hca1500a repair

I got this microrendu from @bikerboy and was thinking something was amiss. The left speaker was down 4db and while checking it out, things started to get weird. Nothing made sense after swapping cables around to narrow it down. Turns out by a fluke that I bumped the input gain knob on the back of the amp and the right channel cut out. Turned the knobs for both channels and they are junk. I was thinking of bypassing them at the max. Any thoughts? I can’t think of a replacement being problem free.
Main System
Marantz AV8802A PrePro
Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
Oppo 203 Bluray
Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
Rythmik F15HP sub
Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
Mac Mini Server

Office System
Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
Oppo 103D Bluray
Polk SDA-SRS 2
Parasound HCA-1500A
Polk PSW 650 sub
Microrendu
Roku Ultra
Mac Mini Server

Comments

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    You could bypass them, however, they may just need cleaning with DeOxit Fader cleaner or similar.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    Parasound was very helpful and reasonable when I sent one for a service not to long ago.

Imo, this model Amp appears to be reaching a service date in its life, imo.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    FWIW, I would NOT bypass them. The circuit is designed to work with them in-place. Even at max, there is going to be a slight resistance, and I assure you that the fine folks at Parasound accounted for this in the circuit design. Also, why give up the adjustment? You’re going to have to go inside anyway - might as well Fix it, and fix it right -
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    skrol wrote: »
    You could bypass them, however, they may just need cleaning with DeOxit Fader cleaner or similar.

This! Get some DeOxit & give that a shot first.
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    Thanks to everyone for the help. I asked parasound also. Here’s the reply

Hi Steve,

Have you tried cleaning the controls?

We use Deoxit D5 contact cleaner by Caig.

We also still stock the potentiometers - they are $15.99 each + shipping.

If you would like to order them, please fill out the attached CC form and email to tony@parasound.com or fax to 415 520 6020

Best regards,

Tony

So, both cleaning or buying new are a fix. Spot on everybody.
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    Checked the price on the Deoxit and it is $25. I will just get 2 new pots and call it a day. I know the amp is old but it sounds good so for now I'll keep it in the system. I think its newer than my Mc preamp though.
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I buy 100% deoxit on eBay in the non spray form. It I believe is 25 ml and has a needle applicator. About the same price but you're not paying for the carrier that evaporates. Last a long time and has many uses.
    I tend to agree that new pot is the better option.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I buy 100% deoxit on eBay in the non spray form. It I believe is 25 ml and has a needle applicator. About the same price but you're not paying for the carrier that evaporates. Last a long time and has many uses.
    I tend to agree that new pot is the better option.

I use deoxit on all my cable terminations (banana, RCA etc) as well. Great to have on hand. As for the pots. Try spinning from min to max back and forth about 20 or so times. This often solves problems temporarily but deoxit is by far the best option.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    I had a good expert dealing with Parasound service department, really quick turnaround.