Dual Rt55 as center channel

Options
splatee
splatee Posts: 23
edited February 2017 in Vintage Speakers
Hello,

I recently just acquired a pair of rta11tl speakers. Now I have an extra pair of rt55 that I was thinking of maybe using as a center channel. I would wire both in series/parallel to 4ohm load. Has anyone done this? I will be powering them off a Sherwood Newcastle
AM9080 that can go to 200w @ 4ohm per channel.

Thank you

Comments

• Carbo3D
    Carbo3D Posts: 10
    Options
    Splatee,
    I also use my pair of RT55i's as my center channel with no issues. To maintain an 8-ohm load I bought an NXG NX-SS4 4-Zone speaker selector and just activate each mono speaker individually (seen below the TV in the photo). Since my 55i's are lacking in mid-range I adjusted my center channel EQ to bias more toward voices (I'll be re-capping them soon which hopefully will restore the mid's). 1pwo567sg4je.jpg
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited April 2019
    Options
    splatee wrote: »
    Hello,

I recently just acquired a pair of rta11tl speakers. Now I have an extra pair of rt55 that I was thinking of maybe using as a center channel. I would wire both in series/parallel to 4ohm load. Has anyone done this? I will be powering them off a Sherwood Newcastle
    AM9080 that can go to 200w @ 4ohm per channel.

Thank you

A series-parallel configuration is impossible with only 2 speakers, you'd need 4. Pick one only and adjust the pre +/- 3dB to compensate. (Example: nominal load for one speaker is 8 ohm, parallel = 4, series = 16. Nominal load for one speaker is 4 ohm, parallel = 2, series = 8.

Edit for fat fingers
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I would recommend angling your rt55 into a slight v shape. This may help a little bit with comb filtering you are undoubtedly experiencing
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    Options
    Or you could unplug one to the tweeters. That would help with the combing.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    It would be in the mids as well since they are a 2 way. That is why Polk runs 2.5 ways on their center, the "cascade tapered array"
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    Options
    Rodger that.... shows how much I know about that stuff...lol
    That's why I'm have the professionals build my crossovers...