Those weird, cheap little Asian-made, odd- brand-name, single-ended vacuum tube amplifiers

Options
mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
edited April 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
Perhaps the best and most comprehensive (not to mention objective) assessments of one of the multitude of odd little Asian (Chinese, in this case) vacuum tube amplifiers I have yet
seen
has just been posted at hifihaven.

If any of you are thinking about/curious about what you get for 300 or so US smackers*, I reckon this would be an interesting read.

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/this-isnt-about-cheap-asian-sourced-amps-preamps-but-it-is-about-economics-and-value.4569/page-2

The in-depth stuff starts here:
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/this-isnt-about-cheap-asian-sourced-amps-preamps-but-it-is-about-economics-and-value.4569/page-2#post-94667

qsovc09is9ne.png
Borrowed image taken and posted at the link above by "paulbottlehead"

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Interesting read thus far Mark! Had to smile as the Monoprice amp is becoming renowned! :smile:

But, not surprising, with regard to the quality, and authenticity, of the components used for those cheap amps.

Thanks for sharing! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    I stopped reading. caveat emperor :p
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    Options
    There's a couple of things to look at.
    Full disclosure. I own one of the older APPJ 2013 & a Massdrop EL34 one.
    They sound surprisingly better than I think they have any right to.
    IMHO:

You know, going in, that these are *not* serious audio pieces. For whatever value of serious you want.

You know that the vendors & manufacturers over there respond to trends by being fast, cheap & crufty.

You're seeing the results of the successes of things that were introduced, with decent quality in manufacture, 5 or so years ago.