Peeling on RT2000p and RT1000p

Hi everyone
Hope this is the right section, not sure if these are 'vintage' enough.
I've got a pair or RT1000p and RT2000p and the laminate on the front baffle / fascia has started peeling off. I am assuming this is quite normal for these speakers.
I have seen other similar speakers with like a felt on the baffle rather than the plastic veneer.
Was this original, or have people like me fixed the peeling by replacing it with felt?
What I'm thinking is the easiest way to fix this is to remove all the peeling plastic laminate and glue the flet onto it. I believe you can buy the felt in a powder like form and you can glue that on.
Is this the best way to do this? Or have other people come up with better way?

Thanks

Answers

• honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Pics or it never happened
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    Mine wasn't real bad. I glued it back down with Aleene's glue, then used a sharpie to cover the little bit of the baffle that remained exposed.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    usually this plastic delaminates due to heat/moisture. Is the problem area exposed to a near by window?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • puunda
    puunda Posts: 116
    One of them has almost no damage. The other one has badly peeled and most of the plastic on the top is gone.
    wjuu92ulfe75.jpg

So I'll need to fix it. I have seen people painting it with a piano gloss black paint which looks very good, but maybe too much effort for me. I have also seen a felt like one as well. Not sure if that is original or not.
    159w0mmbiebi.jpg

At the moment I'm still thinking gluing the velvet/felt dust on there is the easiest way, but hoping others who have done this can give me some advice.
    Thanks
  • VR3
    I would use roll on durtex texture paint. Remove the front baffle the drivers are in and tape the wood sides
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    But you will need to remove the plastic first