Audioquest Niagara 5000

2»

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Interesting. I guess that Dave and Troy don’t like it but it seems all other did on there.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    Cool Joe

I had the PS Audio P5 regenerator, did not plug the amp into it.
    Then I obtained the Torus RM15 conditioner, I could not believe how it sounded compared to the P5.

Sold the P5.

The AQ Niagara 5000/7000 I believe function similarly to the Torus RM series.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    That power line meter looks like a very useful tool to have.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I'm replacing my wall receptacle tomorrow because moving the rack in and out has damaged the original one. At one time I was using the Pangea AC-9SE which completely sux for flexibility and it did a number on the outlet. Wish I knew an electrician that would run me a dedicated 20A circuit. I did have an issue with that same cable coming loose from inlet on the Power Plant.

B)
  • motorstereo
    Dammit for $142 shipped I just had to have my own power line meter. Should make for a few days of fun.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Dammit for $142 shipped I just had to have my own power line meter. Should make for a few days of fun.

Sweet! Can we ship it around to different Polkies so we can all test our power?
  • motorstereo
    edited April 2019
    Sorry; that's not going to happen. But it seems like a great way for me to find out if my noise harvesters and MIT Z cables actually do what they say. It'll also be interesting to compare the 3 types of pc's and several types of aftermarket cables I have here. I can post my findings if anyone is interested.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Clipdat wrote: »

Sweet! Can we ship it around to different Polkies so we can all test our power?

I 2nd the motion! :#
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited April 2019
    3rd in line....

Fwiw i have noise harvesters and have found that power amps themselves add to line noise. My Carver TFM45 will make the 3 i have on the line go blink crazy almost a solid light. The Adcom 5802 still makes them blink but nothing like the TFM45. My noise harvesters rarely blink when my gear is not in.
    Guess that is a good thing no?
    Even with the addition of the Hydra 8 nothing changed
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Congrats joe! Didn’t I recommend this to you some time ago? I think I said sell the 1000 and don’t buy the 1200? You said, “no way I could afford it after the master bath remodel” Lol 😆

Keep it in your system and take it out in a couple months, and you’ll be floored by the sound difference. I even plug my amp into this with no ill effects. It actually sounds better plugged into the audioquest.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Congrats joe! Didn’t I recommend this to you some time ago? I think I said sell the 1000 and don’t buy the 1200? You said, “no way I could afford it after the master bath remodel” Lol 😆

Keep it in your system and take it out in a couple months, and you’ll be floored by the sound difference. I even plug my amp into this with no ill effects. It actually sounds better plugged into the audioquest.

Ha!!! You sure did. Funny how that works. Business has been good (thank you God)
    I think I’ll listen to to now...

I have noticed such a jump from the 1000 and that was such a jump for the junk Monster power one I had before. Amazing

And Joey I am glad you hear your experience with regenerators was not as good. I worried that I missed the boat with regards to that tech. But the more I read (and hear from folks like you) is that it’s not the be all end all tech for power.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I demoed the Audioquest 7000, it was a super nice piece. But it was really noisey! The balanced transformers buzzed really loud. The guys at the audio shop think the 5000 sounds better, it’s the sweet spot for sure. I’ve had a few balanced power conditioners, and some equipment just didn’t like it.... So far I haven’t found anything that doesn’t improve being plugged into the niagara.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• motorstereo
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    3rd in line....

Fwiw i have noise harvesters and have found that power amps themselves add to line noise. My Carver TFM45 will make the 3 i have on the line go blink crazy almost a solid light. The Adcom 5802 still makes them blink but nothing like the TFM45. My noise harvesters rarely blink when my gear is not in.
    Guess that is a good thing no?
    Even with the addition of the Hydra 8 nothing changed

Yes there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the way they blink. I've had all 5 of mine completely stop in the middle of the day yet blink like crazy at 2 or 3 am. I would think 2 or 3 am would be the quietest time but maybe it's way the electricity is generated? Perhaps during the day they switch over to solar or some other less noisy way to generate power?
    I can bet your tfm45 would make them blink to. My 45 had an almost scary transformer hum when it got turned on. I never had a problem with it but that hum never seemed right to me.