PSW110 Issues: Static , Heart Beat woes

My PSW 110 (Out of Warranty) recently started to make a pulsating noise. I have swapped the power cable and tried it on a isolated circuit in the house. Also input cables have been swapped and tested. The sub will do this without any input from the receiver. The only way to silence the sub is to remove the power cable. Any thoughts? Is the internal amp faulty? Seems I'm not the only one :-(

Comments

• Since my home theater room had a area built around the spec's of this speaker I'd like to have the same sized unit. Is there a current model Polk powered sub that does Not suffer from what looks like a faulty amp issue?
  • The PSW110 is 14 5/16" W, 14 11/16" H and 17 1/2" D the PSW108 is 14" W, 14 7/16" H and 16 1/8" D and seems to have a good service record.
  • The PSW110 is 14 5/16" W, 14 11/16" H and 17 1/2" D the PSW108 is 14" W, 14 7/16" H and 16 1/8" D and seems to have a good service record.

Do you have any info to back up the "good service record" claim? I'm hesitant to invest another dime in Polk audio.
    Upon further research I can find at least 40+ instances on the web of my exact issue. Amazon, Crutchfield, AVS Forum, Tomsguide, Polk forums ect. The Amp unit in these sub's (and other models with this Amp assembly) should have been recalled.
  • Give Polk's CS manager a call at: 1-800-377-7655 extension 5208 and explain all the circumstances concerning your subwoofer. He'll work with you to try and restore your confidence in Polk's products.
  • I have been in touch with Gil in their service dept. I will ship them the amp and see what they say. In the construction of my home theater the built in's were customized for my all my Polk speaker components. I can't wait to have it up and running again!
  • Gil's a good guy, he'll help you out.
  • rgoodpa1
    rgoodpa1 Posts: 2
    I'm also having the same problem. I Googled "PSW110 heartbeat" and it seems LOTS of others have the same problem. I've been using Polk speakers for years and this is the first problem for me.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum, sorry you're having a problem. The best approach is to contact Polk's CS department at: 1-800-377-7655 select option 1. Have the sub's serial number and date and place of purchase handy when you call. They'll take care of you.
    Regards, Ken
  • rgoodpa1
    rgoodpa1 Posts: 2
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum, sorry you're having a problem. The best approach is to contact Polk's CS department at: 1-800-377-7655 select option 1. Have the sub's serial number and date and place of purchase handy when you call. They'll take care of you.
    Regards, Ken

Thanks a bunch Ken.
    I called the # and talked to a cs tech named Mike. I would advise everyone to avoid this guy. He was the rudest cs guy I have ever dealt with. He started shouting at me so loud that my wife came into my office to see what the heck was going on.
    He said EVERY subwoofer brand makes that heartbeat sound.

I finally asked to speak to his supervisor and he asks "WHY".
    I talked to his supervisor named Kim. What a complete turn around!
    Kim was a VERY pleasant gentleman to talk to. He knew the heartbeat was an issue, asked where and when it was purchased and asked for serial #.
    He then said he would ship a new amp to my house, gave me a confirmation # and said he would email me when shipped.

My faith is restored in Polk Audio . :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    I'm certainly sorry there was that kind of situation, but glad Kim was able to help. I'll forward this to the appropriate person, Chet. Again, sorry it had to happen that way.
    Best regards, Ken
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    When is that sub going to go away?
  • I have had my Polk subwoofer for about 4 years now. It is the PSW110. Just recently, I noticed a humming sound coming from it even when it is not being powered by receiver. I also noticed the power light on the rear seems to turn bright orange instead of green. I moved it to a different outlet and and just plugged it in and I am still getting a humming or heart beat type noise. What could it be? Can someone contact me to discuss?

• Nandikol
    Nandikol Posts: 109
    Hi,
    Iam not sure if I have posted in wrong section.

Shailesh
  • Is there a recall on these, same problem I have. A bit annoying. Or do we need to file a complaint with consumer protection agency
  • Hello,
    The bass amplifier needs to be repaired or replaced. Assuming you live in the U.S. you would contact Polk at: 1-800-377-7655 select option 1. It would be helpful to have the unit's serial number and date and place of purchase handy when you call. If you live outside of the U.S.send an email to: Ken.Carter@soundunited.com
  • Hi, does that number work for canada?
  • Hello,
    Send an email to their Canadian manager, Walter Moser, at: Walter.Moser@soundunited.com he will be able to help.
  • Keith2
    Keith2 Posts: 1
    After reading the feedback here I was hoping to get some help from customer service but was sadly disappointed. I have a PSW110, and already replaced the amp board once due to the dreaded "heartbeat" at my cost in 2015, and now 3 years later have the same issue again. I was told by customer service that the lifespan of the amp is 3 to 8 years which is why warranty covers 3. Been a Polk customer for many years since I bought my first RT-16s, and matching surround speakers. They still sound awesome. Response was not what I expected from Polk.
  • Hello,
    I'll ask a friend at Polk to contact you via email.
  • BassFreak101
    BassFreak101 Posts: 67
    edited August 2018
    It could be a faulty RCA input, at least that's what I think that sub has instead of LFE.
    If that's the case I would just save up for a new subwoofer(Svs).
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Audioquest evergreen 3.5mm to rca cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Numark DM1175 Preamp mixer
    Random cables
    Bic f12
    Svs soundpath subwoofer cable
    Lafayette Lr-200a amplifier
  • EthanC
    EthanC Posts: 4
    Problem with 60 Hz hum can be caused by failure of the 'high voltage' power supply capacitor. It was the case on my Polk Audio PSW111 sub. Also the bias adjustment potentiometers (x2) for the power MOSFET transistors in the amplifier section had drifted out of adjustment causing the amplifier to distort badly. Correcting both problems repaired the speaker! Cost me 0$ and a little time, as I had a good capacitor in the scrap bin.
  • qlizard
    qlizard Posts: 2
    EthanC wrote: »
    Problem with 60 Hz hum can be caused by failure of the 'high voltage' power supply capacitor. It was the case on my Polk Audio PSW111 sub. Also the bias adjustment potentiometers (x2) for the power MOSFET transistors in the amplifier section had drifted out of adjustment causing the amplifier to distort badly. Correcting both problems repaired the speaker! Cost me 0$ and a little time, as I had a good capacitor in the scrap bin.

Could you possibly expand on the steps you used to do this? I am also having this problem with my psw111.
  • TMW
    TMW Posts: 1

I too would like to know more about your fix.
  • qlizard
    qlizard Posts: 2
    Also the bias adjustment potentiometers (x2) for the power MOSFET transistors in the amplifier section had drifted out of adjustment causing the amplifier to distort badly.

I am especially interested in this bit, since I was able to find how to replace the capacitors elsewhere.
  • EthanC
    Anybody out there still having problems with the PSW111 or similar sub let me know.
  • donkmoore
    donkmoore Posts: 1
    Anybody out there still having problems with the PSW111 or similar sub let me know.

EthanC: Hello. I also have the PSW111 and it started humming a few months ago. This happens with no inputs and in all power outlets. Are you able to assist?
    Thank you,
    Don
  • EthanC
    Donkmoore you can contact me directly at ethanclement at ccimail dot com if you want. I found a very well documented set of instructions dealing with the same problem I solved, back in 2017...had I only found it, on this forum!
  • jeff70
    jeff70 Posts: 1
    PSW110 - I have same issue
    EthanC or Donkmoore or anyone - do you have the detailed instructions on how to fix?
    Thanks for any help
  • nitrous2020
    nitrous2020 Posts: 1
    edited November 2020
    hey guys, as much as I enjoy a challenge.... when I can buy it, at a good price I would tend to buy. I contacted Morgan Tech (Polk Audio in Canada) and I was advised that for $100CAD plus shipping / tax I can get a PWS111 replacement board. Anyone interested, message me and I'll give you the contact information. I hope to just drive up the road and pick it up myself, rather than having it shipped. They're in the GTA Doug