HDTV Question

Options
wodom1
wodom1 Posts: 1,054
edited January 2005 in Electronics
I'm starting this thread to try and help out my Dad. He just bought a 50" Samsung DLP HD Monitor. He currently has service through DirecTV and would like to keep them as his provider. His satellite receiver is a Samsung as well with built in Tivo. What does he need to get HD service? He lives about 45 miles from New Orleans, which is too far to receiver over-the-air signals, I believe. He wants to keep using Tivo, but doesn't want to spend $1k on a new receiver with Tivo. Is it possible to purchase just the HD cabable receiver then connect that to his current receiver for the sole purpose of recording and watching regularly broadcasted programs, whilst using the the HD receiver for HD programming? What have any of you guys done? Any/all help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Josh

Here is the TV that he purchased.
"I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
Polk Audio LSiC
Polk Audio FXi30
Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
Sony Playstation 3
Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
Rotel 985 MK II
Rotel 1072 CDP
Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
Post edited by wodom1 on

Comments

• racer4551
    racer4551 Posts: 373
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Greeting's,thats kinda what i did,i used a standard tivo for all the non-hd programing and used a hughes hd-htl receiver for the hd stuff.Couldnt record hd matierial though,but could tivo all the other channels.You also have to have the hd dish and the 3 lnb setup and the hd package from direct tv.They will also charge you 4.99 for the second box.P.S if interested i have a hd dish with a three unit lnb and also the hd receiver mentioned above for sale.Please email or pm if interested.
    *HT PRE-PRO*:Rotel rsp-1068, *AMP*:Rotel RMB 1095 *DVD PLAYER*:Denon 2200,*CD PLAYERS*,Arcam Alpha Mcd 6 disk carasel,Hughes Hdtv receiver, Hughes hdvr2,*MAINS*:Polk LSI 15'S, *CENTER*:Polk LSIC, *SIDE SURROUNDS*:Polk LSIFX,*REAR SURROUND*:Polk LSI 7'S,*SUB*:SVS PB2+*.MONITOR*:Mitsubishi ws48413 hdtv,Monsterpower hts2500X2,,Sony playstation2,Harmony sst-659 remote
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited January 2005
    Options
    He will have to purchase a standard HD box for $299 or below and keep his current box for an extra $5 a month. He cannot use his current TIVO box to record in HD. Your dad better make sure he really wants the few HD channels that are currently available. In the mean time make sure he's using an S-video cable from his current box to the DLP for the best picture. Composite or Component video cables do not work well on Samsung's digital picture with non HD signals. Also make sure his direcTv box is setup in 16:9 mode, this will help with picture stretch. Since Dish lowered their price on their HD recorder box's Direct may soon follow.

Good luck,
    Jer
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2005
    Options
    The DirectTV HD option is a complete ripoff. Look at other providers like Voom, etc.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Voom is a complete joke. 1 satellite in the air vs. 13 for DishNet and 8-9 with DirectTV. Plus, all they did was upconvert all their channels while having the same true HD channels as the other providers. Saying Voom is a viable solution for HD is like saying Bose is a solution for a high end audio system.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Personally, I like good old fashioned land-based cable, like Time Warner, they pipe the local HD stuff, HBO's, etc.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2005
    Options
    If you're too far away now to receive your local HD channels over the air, then DirectTV isn't going to solve that, all you're going to get from them is like ESPN and Discovery. To get your your local channels, all they can do is put an OTA antenna up on your roof, which you can do yourself (but you'll still need an HD tuner if you don't have on built in your TV...

I have Dish Network now for TV service and am about to switch to cable becuase it's just too much of a pain and expense to get HD service through Dish...

I'd check your local cable guys and see if they offer HD service and see how much it costs...remember with cable you get all your locals and the stuff like ESPN and Dixcovery...
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I'm no expert here, but if your dad is 45 miles from New Orleans, he is well within range to pick up local, over the air HD signals. Have him throw an antena up on the roof, or even in the attic, and he'll get the local ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, WB and/or whatever is available in the area.
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by gmorris
    I'm no expert here, but if your dad is 45 miles from New Orleans, he is well within range to pick up local, over the air HD signals. Have him throw an antena up on the roof, or even in the attic, and he'll get the local ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, WB and/or whatever is available in the area.
    but remember you'll still need an HD tuner (either built in your TV or a separate box...
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2005
    Options
    http://www.cmnc.com/home.htm

here is a very good link that shows different antennas and also a predictor tool of what you need for OTA. I own a Channel master and am very satisfied.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Thanks for all the help, guys. There is already a big-**** antenna in the attic that my folks put up when they first built the house 20 years ago. I'll have to get my brother-in-law to check it out and see if it will work. I suggested getting rid of the dish and going to cable, but he wants to stay with DirecTV. He already has the correct dish to receive HD. I think if he can pick up the local New Orleans (45 miles) and possibly Baton Rouge (70 miles) stations, then he may be pretty happy and not even worry about the DirecTV HD.

So to receive the OTA HD signals, all he needs to pick up is an HD tuner? What video connection would he use? Would it be the DVI or HDMI connections or would S-Video be preferable?
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • sowen010599
    sowen010599 Posts: 343
    edited January 2005
    Options
    If the antenna in the attic has a UHF antenna, that should be good enough. And FWIW, the most all stations following FCC distance limits should be receivable for up to 65 miles.

Most any HD receiver will cost about $299. If you go the Directv route, it will cost about the same but you will get a receiver with both OTA and sat. capability. They will also give you HD service free for 6 months.

Most all provide DVI and component connections. HDMI is still pretty scarce expect for the HD Tivo's.
    Go BIG or go home!
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Regarding the video connections, I know that Component, DVI & HDMI are all HD compatable, but what about S-video? From what I understand, S-video is not HD compatable. Does anyone know this for sure?
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited January 2005
    Options
    S-video is not HD compatible. I don't have exact reasons why, but I assume it has something to do with not being able to carry the correct amount of information(i.e. bandwith).
    Tschüss
    Zach