My car has 324K miles on it :)

2»

Comments

• cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    edited April 2019
    I had newer cars, but let them go and kept this station wagon. It’s been in our family for 20 years now, we’re the second owners. Besides the look, obvious built quality and low cost maintenance.

Also, arguably environmental friendly, looking the subject from a different perspective :) considering that my case consistis in the fact that this old wagon may have cause less impact than 4 low emission newer vehicles that would last 10 years ... ah! ;)

Post edited by cortico on
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    cortico wrote: »
    Besides the look, obvious built quality and low cost maintenance....

Pray you never lose the injector pump. They are a nightmare.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    edited April 2019
    Yeah, I’m expecting failures, it’s from 1985. My kids asks before trips “Dad, do you think the car is going to make it?” :)

Never got any engine repairs so far, I remember replacing suspension shock absorbers, brake disks and pads, replaced fuel line and a valve on the vacuum system and that’s it!

Oh, AC failed on me once, one tube burst letting the gas out, that’s it. it’s getting to a point that the rubber weather seals are staring to look dry and loosing it’s properties...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Pray you never lose the injector pump. They are a nightmare.
    Same with myself and many others with the fuel filter....yet, we are like the Energizer Bunny. We just keep ticking along....

....Looking forward to the million mile mark.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    I find it funny that a 4-7K repair on a vehicle that is capable of so many more miles would be shunned upon. To replace said vehicle of applicable quality and worth would cost 10 fold to 20 fold to replace and in many cases, would be worth 25% less or more as soon as one drives off the dealership lot.

The Mercedes mentioned in the OP is a qualifier for "worth". The value is going up....not down.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Imo, the point where a vehicle is no longer worth fixing is when the repair surpasses what I would get paid by insurance in the event it is totaled.

My car is at 214k, hoping for 300 to 350 at my current 50k a year driving!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    edited April 2019
    There is a difference here, Trey. You are perfectly fine with a point A to point B vehicle and the financial end point is where your priorities lay. While there is NOTHING wrong with that? This is not my forte'.

I have driven a truck for over 2 decades. First one was low power. 2nd one hit the mark. Been driving that one since 2004 and could not be happier. Convenience. Room. Hauling. Power. Did I mention power?

That sums it up for me. Our driving habits are on completely different planets. That's not a bad thing, my friend. Different stokes for different folks.

Much like our hobby here...

Tom
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    My 2005 Mazda 3 will be 15 years old this October, since I bought it (cash) in 2004. While having no where near that mileage, as long as it keeps working, I will keep it. Just leaves me with more money for stereo gear, and beer. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    This is true Tom, vehicles are no hobby of mine. 😜
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Our main hobby is where it's at bro'!

Music brings us all together, no matter which way the winds blow.

Have a great evening!

Tom
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    That is awesome. Enjoy.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Nice to see something in today's society that's not "throwaway", wishing you many more years of driving it.

PS. take an odometer pic in 3300 miles, it'll be cool to see all those 3's lined up :)

Yeah, but right now, it’s a palindrome!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Nice job on the high mileage vehicles everyone! Y'all make my 2008 Accord with 194k miles feel like a pup. It runs awesome and hasn't had anything major done to it. Probably the most expensive thing was replacing the brake rotors. They were the originals and were due. I make sure like clock work, that the maintenance is done, including Amsoil oil and filter since the first oil change.

Not having a car payment in over 6 yrs continues to be a great joy (over 5 yrs on the Harley). Doesn't bother me one bit that I don't have the latest and greatest electronics and toys in my Accord. I work with people that always have to be ahead of everyone else (i.e. bragging) and every 3-4 years they trade it in for the latest and greatest. I always ask them..."don't you ever get tired of car payments?" to which they reply..."I like having a new car every so often." To each their own.

As a side note...there's a guy at work who did the typical "save for my kid's college tuition" thing. Kid got out of high school, went to college and returned home after 2 semesters. The father says..."do you plan on going back to college?" to which his son says..."No dad, its just not for me."

Dad took the college tuition and bought himself a fully loaded Model S Tesla. BOOM! He's my hero.
    No excuses!
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Love Benz diesels. Had an '85 300SD for quite a few years with the OM617. Loved the sound of that engine. In fact I still use it as a ringtone. Sold it a few years ago, but still have an '05 320 CDI that i love. 122k and counting. I'll never get rid of this one.
    onem2twcq2wj.jpg
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    As a side note...there's a guy at work who did the typical "save for my kid's college tuition" thing. Kid got out of high school, went to college and returned home after 2 semesters. The father says..."do you plan on going back to college?" to which his son says..."No dad, its just not for me."

Dad took the college tuition and bought himself a fully loaded Model S Tesla. BOOM! He's my hero.

LOL Made me chuckle good
    Classic