New to Cans

audioluvr
audioluvr Posts: 5,420
So I was given a pair of Monster headphones a couple years ago for Christmas and have used them occasionally for driving because they have a built in mic and they have great noise cancelling. Long story short, the other day I thought I'd use them after the fam went to bed and the first thing I noticed is for music they SUCK. I never would have noticed this before but since I've been on this journey of audio nirvana... Well you know what I mean. Anyways I happened across a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's on ebag for $85. Any thoughts on these? Not wanting to spend a ton of money on cans since I rarely use them.

kye82vcswk0h.jpg
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Thanks Skip.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I had a similar pair and yes, comfy and very easy listening. Warm smooth sound. Bass isn’t over pronounced like so many cans and the treble doesn’t fell like ice-picks. At that price that’s about all you can ask for...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited April 2019
    Senns are comfortable for sure! You might find a pair of Philips L2s for a decent price, I bought mine new and have had them for maybe 2 years now. I absolutely LOVE the sound, haven't found another pair within my budget that compares. Plus easy to drive with a phone or other like devices.

EDIT - A little more scratch but worth it IMO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-L2BO-Fidelio-Headphones-with-mic-40mm-drivers-back-Over-ear/303125512211?hash=item4693b04013:g:uwsAAOSws3dcsg~7
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Senns are comfortable for sure! You might find a pair of Philips L2s for a decent price, I bought mine new and have had them for maybe 2 years now. I absolutely LOVE the sound, haven't found another pair within my budget that compares. Plus easy to drive with a phone or other like devices.

EDIT - A little more scratch but worth it IMO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-L2BO-Fidelio-Headphones-with-mic-40mm-drivers-back-Over-ear/303125512211?hash=item4693b04013:g:uwsAAOSws3dcsg~7

Those are also my current daily drivers and excellent for that price. Pretty big step up from the senns sound wise. Driven by an ifi nano iDSD streaming tidal, I honestly can’t imagine actually appreciating anything more while at work...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    z1r7qln7po3m.jpg
    I'm fond of mine, got a few pair of Sennheisers I listen to the 598's more only because my Wife hijacked the 600's $85 is a very good price you should get them.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I have a pair of HD558s that are my go to for travel. They are light, comfortable, and sound really good for what I paid. And they work fine with my phone or laptop for source.

For critical listening, I have a pair of AKG K240 Studios (The original Austrian built model not the modern Chinese made variant) and a pair of HiFiMan HE-400i that I run from the headphone amp/output on my North Star Designs Incanto.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip