Texas Polkies

Options
We've planned a vacation later this summer (in August) to San Antonio - you know... when it's nice and cool.

We're starting to fill up the week with some pretty cool activities, but wanted to reach out to members from that area for suggestions on family-friendly (two teenage daughters) things to do.

We're staying right on the Riverwalk for 8 nights. Considering renting a car for a few days to venture further away (Austin, beaches, etc.). Let us know the "must do/must see" things in the area!

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Hey Al if y’all are wine drinkers the wine country is rather lovely and actually has some pretty great wine now. There is a winery near dripping springs (I’ll have to look up the name) with a petting zoo and huge decks and lots of area to explore if your daughters are into any of that. We went with our kids when they were younger and we could sit and have a glass of wine while they explored. We’re are actually vacationing in the hill country this summer and plan to head back there.

Most of the best wineries are at or near Fredericksburg, a small German community with great shopping, restaurants, and lots of activities downtown. You could definitely spend a day there.

The Guadalupe river is awesome. You’re daughters are old enough to tube with you I’d imagine. There are lots of places along the river to just hang out and swim with rope swings etc as well. And if you like exploring, the hill country is pretty beautiful. Our kids love to just go on nature walks.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    What they call "hill country" cracks me up, more like mound country. Fredericksburg is very nice...real good German food. Avoid the fire ants at all cost.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    Options
    Go to VooDoo Doughnuts in Austin. Funky, groovy, hip kinda place, right up a teenagers alley.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    What they call "hill country" cracks me up, more like mound country. Fredericksburg is very nice...real good German food. Avoid the fire ants at all cost.

My daughter got bit up while on Spring Break with my mom out there. She swelled up like a balloon. Not fun getting a video call while at work and your kid is 1000 miles away having an allergic reaction.

Frederickburg is beautiful, been through there a couple times on my way in and out of Texas.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    Options
    Just north of San Antonio on I-35 is New Braunfels, Schlitterbahn Water Park is there. Fun if you have kids. The "Alamo" in SA is kind of underwhelming. Six Flags Fiesta Texas Amusement/Theme Park just outside the outer loop NW SA is also an all day visit, good for kids. Agree with F1nut regarding the hill country. It's different, but has lots of wide open spaces, with some state park areas w/limited facilities. Lots of hidden gems; restaurants, bars... in some of the small towns all around SA. I have close friends that have lived in New Braunfels for 35 years. Austin is fun too.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options

Remember when I first moved here, Texas hill country. I kept hearing them mention the hill country on the news, and asked where it was. After I was informed that I was right in the middle of it, I asked where the hills are at.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    What they call "hill country" cracks me up . . .

just like SE Mich . . . ain't none!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I found a "hill" in Indiana the other day...
    Cute little thing..... The road had a curve in it.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    River walk is fun. Honestly if the girls want to shop you could make a couple days out of it. Also recommend Schlitterbahn and six flags. Floating the river in New Braunfels/San Marcus is a good relaxing time too but the teenagers might not be too into it. I always really enjoyed the Alamo, but if you're not from Texas that might be a little dull. If you're into concerts, see who's in town during your visit. Most bands go through Austin, but San An gets some solid acts as well. Also, I'd say get REAL Mexican food. It's everywhere. If you care about golf and want to brave the heat, they do have a few excellent courses.

Austin is an easy drive, and there is loads to do there as well. Aside from the normal city activities, the State Capital building is really cool. It's just a massive impressive piece of architecture.

The beach is a bit of a hike from San An, and honestly it's very underwhelming as a beach. But if you're into fishing, that might be worth a couple days.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options

I'll second that about Fredericksburg. Been there too! A German town right in the middle of Texas. Took me by surprise.