Driving Mon 7s

Options
KCF
KCF Posts: 58
edited January 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Hello All, I've been living with Monitor 7s Series II for about a month, and finding they're growing on me... listening to and liking them as much or more than my RTi70s.. They're just more balanced sounding, with great warmth. Question is, do these speaks benefit from hier output amps, and if so, how much. I gather they're rated at 8 ohms, (tho some say they perform more like 6 ohms). It seems fairly easy to overpower them. I had a mid cave in, possibly due to pushing too hard. Conservative rating seems to be about 100 wpc, but mine start complaining well short of that.
Any input / experience appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin
Post edited by KCF on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    edited January 2005
    Options
    What are you driving them with?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• KCF
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Good question..., Old Onkyo Integra, rated about 85 wpc...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Generally speaking, it's not the wpc that matters as much as the amount of current and damping. I think you're simply overdriving (clipping) the receiver, so yes they will benefit from better power. Keep in mind that with most gear when you get the volume up around the halfway mark, that's about the limit.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• KCF
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Yes, it seems that's about right...

Thanks for the info.

Kevin
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by KCF
    Old Onkyo Integra, rated about 85 wpc...

What model Onk?... if you don't mind me asking. I have a Model TX-820 that is driving my mon5's and it sounds good.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***