Looking at doing a second tube amp build...

2»

Comments

• Tony MTony M Posts: 8,358
    Doesn't high-end amp sellers place their tube amps on elevated granite stands?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,503
    DSkip wrote: »
    You have no idea what those amps are capable of. I'm sure they are fine as is, but why settle for 'fine'?

I built them but I have know idea what they are capable of? You have never been in the room with them, never heard them, and are going to tell me that I am wrong or missing something?

Excuse me while I have a good laugh....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,221
    edited April 16
    Your arrogance is absurd John. Forgive me for trying to actually elevate your experience. Keep thinking you know it all. I don’t have to hear your amps to know there is massive potential being left on the table.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,456
    edited April 16
    Granite is very ring-y.
    It's consequently a lousy turntable plinth material.
    How that would translate to an amplifier is unknown to me; certainly could be a problem with any tubes prone to microphonics, though, I would think.
    Heavy absorbers will slow down transitions. It’s less about resonant frequencies but where they have to go. However, that same resonance will bleed back into the system. Absorbent materials also kill musicality. I’ll never use dynamat in a product again knowing what I know now.

John, this was never about what you have. It’s about what you are missing.

“Those that don’t know, don’t know that they don’t know.”

Ring a bell?
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 1,379
    Try mounting them on a 2" thick rug of beaver fur. THAT would be awesome!
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    1000 Va Dreadnought- w/ WireWorld Mini-Eclipse cables
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    WireWorld Silver Eclipse IC's
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Denon DVD 2900

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
    Tony M wrote: »
    Doesn't high-end amp sellers place their tube amps on elevated granite stands?

They are ignorant. I’ve been down the granite path. I’ve been down the wood path. I’ve been down the absorbency path. I’ve been down the grounding path. Nothing has come close to grounding.

Mechanical grounding is an area that is so often overlooked in component and system design that it’s rather frustrating now that I understand it more. It’s such a transformational solution that there is no excuse for it.
    Your arrogance is absurd John. Forgive me for trying to actually elevate your experience. Keep thinking you know it all. I don’t have to hear your amps to know there is massive potential being left on the table.

I like you Skip and have nothing against you, but would it not also be ignorance to assume you know more about what I have built than I do? And then rather than shoot me a pm or something to discuss, you then show your emergent arrogance by basically calling me a fool in my own thread? This was done to me back in the original thread I had when I started the first build back before you had a clue what high end audio was.

I am proud of you and what you have accomplished in such a short span of time... I truly am. What I build, I build for me and nobody else, so if I am getting all of what I want from it, who bloody cares.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    “Those that don’t know, don’t know that they don’t know.”

Ring a bell?
    Certainly does, and in this case it cuts both ways.... blind test between McIntosh MC601’s on B&W 802d’s at Magnolia... my amps destroyed the Mac’s by all accounts. My amps bested Bob’s 305’s at his old dealer here in Beverly Hills....

You simply cannot claim that mine are missing something without hearing them yourself, and next time you get to L.A. you ar welcome to play with them to your hearts content. I will even send them to you to try out yourself if you pay the freight.

You have no idea what those amps are capable of. I'm sure they are fine as is, but why settle for 'fine'?

I built them but I have know idea what they are capable of? You have never been in the room with them, never heard them, and are going to tell me that I am wrong or missing something?

Excuse me while I have a good laugh....

I’m ending my conversation here but want to remind you where it got off track. I never should have responded as we tried this via pm a while ago and you told me then you knew what you were doing. My whole intent was to educate and improve a design for you - things that even manufacturers are blown away by but fail to implement for various reasons. The principles are simple but would take years to learn via experience.

I have it on good authority that one of the founders of this company has purchased Robert’s stuff for their reference rig. I am trying to confirm that 100% but will need a few days.

My invitation still stands. If you want to learn how to make the chassis work for you vs against you I’m here.
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,180
    Never take these discussions to PM. Otherwise nobody learns anything, either about technology, or about personality.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    Your posts came across as calling my babies ugly, so to speak, and after spending so long building them, not something I care to hear. I respect what you are trying to say, and as I get closer to rolling forward, I will reach out to you. Right now they are still on the sketch pad.

What is your opinion of high mass turntables?

Turntables are a bit of a different monster. I’m not an analog guy so I can’t comment on those. However, with other components and speakers, grounding seems to be the best solution and not by a small margin.

The problem with absorption is all that energy has no place to go and even when it is converted to heat it is a slow process and will kill the energy of your music as a whole.
    And I never said they were crap. Again, it wasn’t about what you had, but what you are missing and can gain without much if any headache.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,392
    Its about resonant frequencies and how those frequencies get carried away from, or, transferred back in to the unit. Stone materials are notorious for being particularly bad about carrying those bad frequencies in.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    FWIW... my granite is not directly coupled to the chassis. It sits on double sided foam tape and a silicone based adhesive, so there is some isolation between it and the aluminum chassis underneath.

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,966
    Regardless of anything else they are beautiful amps.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk