ACL Tear - advice on surgery?

2»

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    1. First find out if your surgeon is a butcher, if no go to second question. 2. Will your knee be substantially weaker than the other, you may end up with two screwed up knees just from the added stress on the good one if you do nothing (that is why I need both of mine replaced not just the "bad" one). 3. Can you wait for medical technology to come up with some nano foaming goo that can rebuild your knee from the inside out? If not get the surgery and pray that you don't get a necrotizing bacterial infection while you are at it. BTW my dry cleaner tells me that there are all kinds of miracle medical breakthrough just over the horizon so I would wait before going under the knife for anything that I can live without. I think any surgery that is optional is not worth the risk although, I am going to get that **** enhancement that I have been saving up years for.
  • afterburnt
    I suppose this stupid thing wont let you say **** either?
  • afterburnt
    How bout "taint"?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,966
    Um, wow. I already got the surgery afterburnt. Fully recovered, barely even a scar...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I'm glad you are doing so well Rooftop, keep up the good work!!!! None of us like going under the knife, but sometimes it is just necessary if you want to have any quality of life.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,517
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Um, wow. I already got the surgery afterburnt. Fully recovered, barely even a scar...

Goes to show you. Listen to your doc.

There’s a reason he went through med school and 5 years of orthopedic residency. Rather than asking the internet for their opinions.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • BMF35
    BMF35 Posts: 86
    My son blew out an ACL and a small rip to the MCL. The Ortho doc told us he can live without the ACL. It would just limit what he can do and that knee would hurt for the rest of his life. Being 27, he really didn't like the idea of a lifetime of knee pain. He's spent the last month or so going through pre-op PT to have full movement and get the swelling down (Which has been done.) His surgery is tomorrow morning.

Our next door neighbor has blow out the ACL in both of legs. He decided to live with it both times instead of surgery. Now he's 56 and regrets not getting surgery. He told my son to not to even think about not getting surgery. We'll find out after tomorrow how bad post-op is painful. And how long he'll be in rehab PT. And everything that'll follow the surgery. The last few days he's kinda turned into a 280 pound scared baby but he knows it's needed. From everyone I've talked to, all have said he'll be sorry if skips surgery. Between racing motocross and BMX since 73, I know a lot of guys that have toasted at least one knee. Everyone we talked to in Moto says surgery, surgery, surgery!
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited April 2019
    Blew my ACL along w/2 tears in my meniscus playing basketball in 2003. Active lifestyle to include skiing (snow and water), biking, hiking, etc and was in the military, so had to have the mobility. I opted for reconstruction. They split my patellae, drilled a hole, used a protein screw to secure the graft and applied protein darts to repair the meniscus tears. Doc told me it was the same surgery NBA players were getting in the late 90's and allowed them to be back on the court in a short time.

Sixteen years later and last week I returned from a very strenuous 7 days of on and off-piste skiing in the alps. I typically ski 15-45 days per year. I've lived w/a bit of swelling and some days are worse than others, but nothing I can't tolerate. When it swells I pop a decent dose of Motrin and it's managed.

Had to PT test by running while in the military but other than training a few weeks prior to my test I've stopped all high impact activities. Cycling (road and mt. bike) has been the best conditioning. Bottom line for me is the more I use it, not abusing it, the better my knee is and I can't imagine a life any different.

Wife blew her ACL 2 years ago, opted for a hamstring graft and is still recovering. She doesn't work out as often as she should and it's limited her to 1/2 day's skiing, but her mobility is excellent and getting better the more she works on it.

I'm in my mid 50's and am active. I can't imagine not having the ability to do whatever I want. Yes, my body is aware I've had the surgery but I was told, regardless of having or not having the surgery, the likelihood of developing arthritis as I aged was high after any joint injury. Everyone's different but for our situations we wouldn't change what we did.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • afterburnt
    Joey_V wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Goes to show you. Listen to your doc.

There’s a reason he went through med school and 5 years of orthopedic residency. Rather than asking the internet for their opinions.

Joey, you should know better than to assume a gender!