Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL Help Needed

Options
bharry71
bharry71 Posts: 3
edited April 2019 in Forum Testing Area
Sorry, can a mod move this to vintage speakers for me?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I just bought pair of Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL. I'm having a problem with them and I could use some help. When I got them the SDA drivers were blown, to the point where they looked like they had almost caught fire. Everything else tested fine. I'm pretty sure the previous owner did this by hooking up there non-common ground amp to the speakers. I also bought their amp and it went straight into protection. I replaced the drivers with some used ones and hooked everything up including a DIY SDA cable.

The problem I'm having is the speakers sound pretty awful and muffled, especially in quiet passages. It's not as bad in loud passages. I've visually inspected the crossovers and I don't see anything that is an obvious.

Could the crossovers have been damaged? If so, can I pull things and check them with a DMM? It's a real bummer because I can hear the potential of these speakers and they are already blowing me away. Just have to get the sound cleaned up.

I'm powering them with a. Marantz 140 (75w/ch) and a Marantz 3300 preamp.

Thanks for your help,
Brian

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    There is a strong probability the crossovers suffered damage. Even if they didn't the caps are way past their prime and the resistors are nothing special, so a complete upgrade is in order.

The tweeters are a progressive point source. The top tweeter plays loudest and covers the largest frequency range of the 3. The second and third play limited frequency ranges with less volume. Have you checked that all are working?

Another issue is your amp is not a good match for the speakers. Not enough current and a low damping factor.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk