Options
2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Chuck Berry is Rock & Roll.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    So Chuck Berry isn't Rock and Roll? Then neither are The Beatles.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Chuck-Berry

Chuck Berry, in full Charles Edward Anderson Berry, (born October 18, 1926, St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.—died March 18, 2017, St. Charles county, Missouri), American singer, songwriter, and guitarist who was one of the most popular and influential performers in rhythm-and-blues and rock-and-roll music in the 1950s, ’60s, and ’70s.

Kind of selective bolding.....But right after rhythm-and-blues there is that rock-and-roll music part.

From Chuck Berry on Wikepidia. "Berry refined and developed rhythm and blues into the major elements that made rock and roll distinctive. Writing lyrics that focused on teen life and consumerism, and developing a music style that included guitar solos and showmanship, Berry was a major influence on subsequent rock music."

No one disputes rock and roll came from (mostly African American) rhythm and Blues music. Where you want to draw the line is a personal preference but it is earlier than most people think. Black performers like Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Bo Diddley then later white performers like Elvis, Buddy Holly and Gerry Lee Lewis paved the way. Yes I will admit I never considered Elvis rock and roll when I was young (and I don't listen to or have any of his albums). But he was early Rock. We are talking about the 50's. But by the early 60's the Beatles were getting famous doing Chuck Berry covers for main stream white America.

This video is long at one hour but i found it interesting. Talks about the roots of Rock and Roll. And the nerdy looking 50's guys with their buzz cuts, black suits, and narrow ties were calling it Rock and Roll back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD2Om1g3B3o

But having Janet Jackson in the HOF is another story.................

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Keith Richards "People will always cover Chuck Berry songs. When bands go do their homework, they will have to listen to Chuck Berry.

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music. "

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."
    -John Lennon
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Delkal, your point only gives mine more leg strength. Rock N Roll was named from the dancing that kids of that time would do from traditional dance moves, other than what Alan Freed gets credited for coining the phrase, but had it roots from the 20's-40's in black blues music. The term was meant to be demeaning and to keep it separated from acceptable music of the day (Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and others). Once that Rhythm got out, it could not be contained. Just like Rap music of today, once the mainstream crowds beg for it, what once was bad is now cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_rock_and_roll

OVERVIEWTHE TERM "ROCK AND ROLL"DEVELOPMENT OF THE MUSICAL STYLEVIEWS ON THE FIRST ROCK AND ROLL RECORD

Rock and roll emerged as a defined musical style in the United States in the early to mid-1950s. It derived most directly from the rhythm and blues music of the 1940s, which itself developed from earlier blues, boogie woogie, jazz and swing music, and was also influenced by gospel, country and western, and traditional folk music. Rock and roll in turn provided the main basis for the music that, since the mid-1960s, has been generally known simply as rock music. The phrase "rocking and rolling"
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • recoveryone
    Options
    As for Ms.Jackson, no doubt she road the coattails of her bigger brother Micheal, but over time she was able to hold her own. A number of grammy nominations 23 and wins 5. So you may not care for her style of music, but you can't take away her impact and commercial success on the industry.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    "The Academy recognized hard rock music artists for the first time in 1989 with the category Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental, combining two of the most popular music genres of the 1980s.[3] Metallica, who were expected to win the inaugural award for their album ...And Justice for All, lost to Jethro Tull whose album Crest of a Knave won, also beating out Jane's Addiction, Iggy Pop, as well as AC/DC." I give a crap about Grammys about as much as I do about Oscars. If you win a Grammy chances are pretty good it's because you suck.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    The group Kansas belongs in the Hall over Janet Jackson... The problem with the hall is that they are hellbent on political correctness and inclusion rather than focusing on talent and achievement alone. They may as well be the hall of everyone gets a trophy.

Yup! Look how long it took Rush to get in! I could care less about what a buncha pretentious jerks think.
  • recoveryone
    Options
    I guess old Zappa must suck as he has a Grammy.......lol
    even he doesn't know why he got it, but it will be on his list of achievements.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I wish she did more of this kind of stuff. She would have OWNED Benatar and Joan Jett... And then she would have earned that spot in the R&R Hall of Fame.
    https://youtu.be/qH-rPt1ftSo

Funny!

'Black Cat' was number one on the pop charts and was actually nominated for a Grammy , "Best Female Rock Performance."

IMO, Janet is an awesome performer more so than a talented singer. She knows that and gives a total show at her concerts. The '85 Control album in the 80's was HUGE! ...for different reasons. It was a breakout record for her. The women sold some records! 160 Million albums / Ten #1 singles / Twenty-seven Top 10 songs

I think she deserves the recognition she's received in the industry. As far as her belonging in the R&R HOF? That's a tough one. Its really comes down to what one defines as Rock & Roll today and the R&R HOF mission. She for sure should be in the Pop music HOF. However there will be more mixed opinions regarding the R&B music HOF. Any type of music award or HAF will never please everyone because there are many deserving artists.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • afterburnt
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I guess old Zappa must suck as he has a Grammy.......lol
    even he doesn't know why he got it, but it will be on his list of achievements.

so that's what you got from this?
  • recoveryone
    Options
    " I give a crap about Grammys about as much as I do about Oscars. If you win a Grammy chances are pretty good it's because you suck.
    Is this not your words?????????

• afterburnt
    Options
    " I give a crap about Grammys about as much as I do about Oscars. If you win a Grammy chances are pretty good it's because you suck.
    Is this not your words?????????

Yeah, I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.
  • recoveryone
    Options
    I only point out the hypocrisy...LOL
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @recoveryone work on your reading comprehension
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Both of you.... back on your meds. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • recoveryone
    Options
    Reading comprehension is just fine, thanks to my Utah State University pre-law status. Thank you for your concern. Just admit your careless remark in trying to disparage someone else's status of receiving a grammy was ill advised and unwarranted. Now, I watch (not needing to read I.E comprehend) the video of Mr. Zappa was not unusual for several artist that have received recognition for minor work, but actual are recognized for previous or body of work. The same can be said for Spike Lees' Oscar, the "Blackklanmans" was a ok film, but his film of 30 plus years ago (Do the Right Thing) was the one that should have earned him an Oscar. Zappa's attitude was par for the course, as he admitted the work he was honored for was not even close of being his best, nor was it popular.

No need to get **** for being called out, just face the facts of the issue at hand.
    have a good polk day :smile:
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Careless? I meant exactly what I said. Do you practice law?