Linear Powersupply for Chromecast Audio - thoughts?

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
edited March 2019 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I found a thread where a guy messed with the wiring for his chromecast audio and got a decent result in improved quality.

In his case, he switched the plug and usb cord to a different one and used a ferrite choke to improve how it sounded....

That got me thinking.... would a linear power supply be even better? And if so, what kind should I get?

Original post copied below:
Okay, I have been using the Google Chromecast Audio (heretofore CCA) for quite a while now. Mostly with the Tidal app via iOS, but also with the Neutron app streaming lossless FLAC files from my NAS (44.1/16 to 96/24). Streaming the exact same FLAC files from my old Panasonic DMP500 BD player yields fantastic results. However, grit/grain, reduced depth and width of sound stage, and a reduced sense of air was always present when switching to the Google CCA. Even when both were using optical toslink (the Panny is typically used with a coaxial S/PDIF connection) into my Arcam AVR300 (which I use as a pre/pro). The std Google CCA power supply adapter was plugged into my Belkin PF30 Power conditioner (as was the improved adapter below).

Same basic lack of enjoyment via Tidal. This is as compared to using the Tidal desktop app into my FPGA based RME Babyface Pro USB DAC into my Blue Sky Designs Sat6D studio monitors in my lab/studio at work. Same negative traits on a totally different setup listening to the same titles.

So, I experimented with a better quality AC->USB power adapter, USB micro cable, etc.

I switched to a spare current-gen Apple iPhone std wall cube charger, Anker Powercore/Powerline micro USB cable, and a ferrite choke located approximately 2.5" from the Google CCA on the cable (a 3mm choke IIRC).

Now, I haven't placed this setup or the first one on an oscilloscope, so if you're looking for lab analysis, you can shop elsewhere. I'm going to relay my educated, expert listening opinions as a Forensic audio engineer and that's all you're going to get. I'm not interested in objectivist absoluteism. I am friends with far too many professional musicians (defined as people who receive money to perform and this is their primary source of income) to have some person I've never met tell me what I am or am not hearing. I get paid to help judges and juries do that. So spare me, please, if that's your bent.

Onto listening impressions:

I noticed an immediate improvement in the form of a reduction of grit/grain, less of that high frequency glare, and a slightly widened and deepened sound stage. And when I say immediately, I mean that in the most literal sense of the word. The difference was striking. So I put all the the usual albums on to test (Holst The Planets via Dutoit in Montreal, Trio Pim Jacobs, etc), and the improvements held. Then onto some high bitrate lossless from my NAS and, again, the same improvements were experienced.

So, between an Apple iPhone std charger cube, Anker Powercore/Powerline micro USB cable, and a strategically placed ferrite choke, I basically fixed the huge issue that sapped my pleasure from the CCA.

You're not going to get a better front end for TIDAL for $35. And with some cheap "mods", it actually sounds decent.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    So he just used an apple cube (my name for those suckers), ferrite and a new power cable?

Hell I got tons of that kinda crap laying around my place...minus the ferrite, I don't tend to keep that on me.

Might mess around with it.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • EndersShadow
    So he just used an apple cube (my name for those suckers), ferrite and a new power cable?

Hell I got tons of that kinda crap laying around my place...minus the ferrite, I don't tend to keep that on me.

Might mess around with it.

Yup, which got me thinking, wonder what a linear PSU would cost for one of these. Surely can't be STUPID expensive (like less than 150 bucks), but I'm a bit of a novice on what is the better buy for those.

Since I'm going to use one for the tube console I'm restoring, and possibly one in the garage, I was a bit curious.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I believe you can get some decent linear power supplies on eBay from about 835290348523 Chinese sellers and they will customize them however you want (5v USB-Micro or whatevs).
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • codycatalist
    edited April 2019

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • EndersShadow
    edited April 2019
    Only issue is that the Chromecast Audio is no longer supported by google....

But that means little to me since I still have Logitech Squeezeboxes that work fine years after support ended.

@codycatalist that's the exact kind of thing I’m looking for.

I’m on vacation so haven’t had time to do a lot of research but I think I will see if I can find something like that but with a single USB (and maybe cheaper)...
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I ran across this article recently: https://www.t3.com/features/best-streaming-dac The Yamaha WXAD-10 looks promising, but not sure about availability in the US???
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • codycatalist
    jdjohn wrote: »
    I ran across this article recently: https://www.t3.com/features/best-streaming-dac The Yamaha WXAD-10 looks promising, but not sure about availability in the US???

Yup, not in US and $119 bucks. Granted that is a good price but if it is a glorified CCA I can probably best it with a upgraded PS. The CCA isn't all that bad in terms of sound but could be a bit more laid back for the rest of my gear.

• codycatalist
    edited April 2019
    DSkip wrote: »
    I’m enjoying this thread and look forward to results. If a power supply upgrade could transform a CCA into a respectable streamer for high quality but modest systems, I would be all over recommending it to clients. I value streaming devices and hate that there aren’t any killer entry level options that scale well.

LOL I will let others chime in on that. I can't compare to a respectable streamer as I haven't had one per say. I have either done 3.5mm to RCA or my CCA into a tube buffer then into my Pre.

I mean I like it but my initial thoughts were better bass and impact but more in your face which personally isn't what I was going for. The tube buffer helped pull back the soundstage a bit and give it more depth which I like.

Granted this is a $30 tube buffer with a $40 linear PS attached to it. How good that is, I don't know but I dig it.

I am going to mess around with a couple of bricks I got laying around from various phones or other devices and see if any difference is heard on that alone. Just for poops and giggles ya know?

• EndersShadow
    edited April 2019
    I found a few more options for PSUs.... all under 60 bucks....

According to its specs the Chromecast use 5v 1A power

https://www.google.com/chromecast/audio/tech-specs

A TeraDak like DK:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283432575742

And another that offers a coupe connections to power more than one device....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/143186335522