New Model 10A owner

Options
Hey folks,

Longtime polk owner here but new to the vintage market. Saw a pair of dusty Model 10As listed locally that peaked my interest and thanks to this forum I knew what to look out for. The original owner said he had them since the 70's but these look a bit later since they are coated paper. Pretty sure these are the peerless tweeters as well. They are in decent condition and I was happy with the price.

The drivers seem well sealed and don't exhibit any scraping so the magnets are still aligned. I brought an amp and was able to figure out one of the fuses was blown. It reads 1A 250V 312. Does that sound correct for this speaker? I want to avoid the time delay type right?

Also, what is the best way to clean the drivers?

Thank you

jff5zhsqyzi2.jpg
fd41n12a1rqt.jpg
pxmfyejt9n9u.jpg

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Could still be late 70s models. Clean drivers with Original Windex, spray on a soft lint free cloth then gently wipe down the drivers.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Nice pickup especially with the peerless tweeters.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. They are probable from the late 70's. Yes, use a 1amp fast blow fuse, and those are the Peerless tweeters. Use Windex (real Windex) to clean the 6 1/2" drivers. Spray some on a soft rag and go in a circular motion to remove the dirt. It is normal for them to be tacky when you are finished. I have used a small brush to carefully clean the dust from tweeters. Probably want to refresh the crossovers with new caps and resistors. That will really bring them back to better than new life. Lots of info here if you spend a little time and search.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,173
    Options
    Not sure about the type of fuse to get but in the meantime you can use a piece of wire in place of the fuse to confirm the tweeter is working. Corrosion build up on the fuse holder will keep the tweeter from working as was the case in the pair that I owned. A bit of contact cleaner and they came to life. Nice speakers.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    Fuse for the tweeter should be 1 amp 'fast blow'.