RTA 11 TL - Do they have fuses?

Options
I am trying to repair a pair of Polk speakers and I cannot find any info about them. Can anyone help me? One speaker is dead.

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited April 2019
    Options
    What cha need to know? I got a pair that I restored.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited April 2019
    Options
    The schematic is posted at the top of this section.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hdspeakerman
    Options
    Are they fused? If yes, where are the fuses? One speaker does not make any sound. Could be a fuse.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    There's a poly switch that protects the tweet, but that's it. Open up the back plate and check the connections to the binding posts.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
  • hdspeakerman
    Options
    Thank you! I was hoping it was a fuse.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    Thank you! I was hoping it was a fuse.

Nope you're going in arms deep I'm afraid
  • hdspeakerman
    Options
    Any suggestions? I am not getting anything from any of the drivers.
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Read post #5...
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    Are the top drivers froze up ? Also they have passive radiators on bottom that are NOT working drivers
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    Switch speakers around n see if the bad one works ON the wire/cable you know works.. Then check all wires & where they connect to see if properly done. You may need to open up n look inside
    Randy/Maine
  • hdspeakerman
    Options
    I am about 50 miles from St. Louis, Mo.
  • hdspeakerman
    Options
    One speaker seems to be ok but the other won't make a sound. Tweeter is out and wont make a sound. I did not see the poly switch when I took the back plate out.
  • boston1450
    Options
    Even if the drivers are froze/notworking you should still hear some noise from tweeter & slight noise from drivers. Maybe a bad connection or possible receiver/amplifier issue
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    are the driver froze up ? Lightly push them in with 2 fingers. Should be no scratchiness feel
    Randy/Maine
  • hdspeakerman
    Options
    I checked the tweeter and one of the mid woofers with my volt meter and there was no continuity.
  • boston1450
    edited April 2019
    Options
    did you just get these ? Whats the history behind this issue ? Where they working ? Odd to hear 2 drivers & tweeter go at same time. Something went wrong
    Randy/Maine
  • hdspeakerman
    Options
    They belong to a friend. His son had them at college. They were ok when he went to bed and not when he woke up. His room mates were no help. They had some story about You tube video with poor fidelity.
  • hdspeakerman
    Options
    I checked the 2nd woofer and it shows no continuity.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    Seems obvious, they cooked the tweeter and drivers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• boston1450
    Options
    Musta been one heck of a night :) RTA11TL speakers are worth repairing. Polk may have replacements. Call them & tell em your a forum member & get discount. Ebay also. Tell your friends to Back Off the dial. Good luck
    Randy/Maine
  • hdspeakerman
    Options
    Thank you. Just trying to help a friend.
  • boston1450
    Options
    IF you think your gonna keep the speakers it will be a great time to upgrade the tweeters. I do believe the 11TL upgrade tweeter is RD-0198. It is Polks best tweeter for vintage speakers. Well worth the money & well regarded by most members here. ... Welcome to the forum
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Still a great time & idea on the upgraded tweeters. He needs 1. What better time to buy 2 better ones. Just Dooooooo itttttttt :)
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    boston1450 wrote: »
    IF you think your gonna keep the speakers it will be a great time to upgrade the tweeters. I do believe the 11TL upgrade tweeter is RD-0198. It is Polks best tweeter for vintage speakers. Well worth the money & well regarded by most members here. ... Welcome to the forum

I believe that the OP is not the owner of these. He is simply trying to help his friend trouble shoot the problem
    I just now saw that post. I was having racing thought moments Thanks
    Randy/Maine
  • hdspeakerman
    Options
    Any idea what the cost is for the updated tweeters? How is the best way to source 2 midwoofers for this speaker? Thanks again.
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Tweets are ~50 each shipped. eBay for the mids.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    Options
    The RTA-11TL has no fuses and no poly-switches. Mine did have some bad solder connections. In fact, not soldered connections.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/4/6/7/2/8/18708.pdf
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    Options
    Any idea what the cost is for the updated tweeters? How is the best way to source 2 midwoofers for this speaker? Thanks again.

For the tweeters do as @FestYboy suggested and buy them new from Polk.
    For the mid woofers, Ebay will probably be your best bet.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Ouch, I was thankful to restore my 11TLs before the MW6510s started getting scarily scarce. I started with missing tweeters, 3 of 4 drivers frozen, no grills. Ended up resealing the cabs, replaced the mid woofers, got some SL3000s and scored some MINT grills off ebay for $50. At the end I was about $150 into the dealio however that is mostly due to the great people of this forum giving me good deals.

It might take a while to get the parts you need or one day they might all show up on ebay at once. I wish you luck in your search man, it might be a rough one.

As a matter of fact, the bay has enough to cover what you need currently. Have fun!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member