It’s Pinewood Derby Day!

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    ^ Bending the axles is against the rules. But nobody says you have to put them in straight. :)
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    agfrost wrote: »
    The first year we built whatever they wanted and ended up with pretty bricks, aerodynamically speaking.

Yeah... I didn't hold much hope for that arrow of hers. I ended up putting on the construction paper sidewalls just to help w airflow. But now that she knows the feeling of a trophy in her hand she's willing to work with me on a LOT of mods. :)

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • stretchl
    DaveHo wrote: »
    ^ Bending the axles is against the rules. But nobody says you have to put them in straight. :)

Are you sure, Dave? I don't think it's against our council rules.

http://prairielandsbsa.org/assets/files/2019 Council Pinewood Derby Rules.pdf
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Yep, looks like your rules are different than our pack's. Carry on!
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    DaveHo wrote: »

Was thinking how something that was supposed to be a fun project for father and child has morphed in to how we can teach our kids the best way to bend, or break, the rules.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited April 2019
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Was thinking how something that was supposed to be a fun project for father and child has morphed in to how we can teach our kids the best way to bend, or break, the rules.

A valuable life lesson, being taught at an early age. ;)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    This thread reminds me of the Derby Days back when my kids were in it. The insatiable urge to offer advice, guidance, and help!

And to overcome the overwhelming desire to keep my "hands off" :smile:

All you Dads - well done! Brings a smile to my face thinking about those days gone by.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    stretchl wrote: »
    @Milito @Dennis Gardner @Dennis Gardner We got back to 2ugb5wf6daiz.jpeg
    work today! Sanded the axles down w a rough paper and then hit it w 3000. Don’t know if we got everything, but they feel smooth and look shiny. Somehow I think we didn’t sand enough. We got done with all four axles in about an hour.

That there is a honkin drill press! And looks like the little cutie has mastered it! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • stretchl
    verb wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of the Derby Days back when my kids were in it. The insatiable urge to offer advice, guidance, and help!

And to overcome the overwhelming desire to keep my "hands off" :smile:

That's the hardest part isn't it?? Giving them room to fail. And allowing them to do so, pick up the pieces and learn that Failure is the Secret to Success.

One of my favorite life lessons that I share with my Journalism students on the first day of each semester:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fg060uki22yfgy4/Failure the Secret to Success.mov?dl=0

- Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • verb
    Press belongs to a family friend. She was off playing with his daughter while he and I did the first, but once we saw it was going to work we called her over and she was captivated. For whatever reason she's really into tools, "fixing" things, etc. Maybe a mechanical engineer in the works? :)

Yeah! :smile:
  • stretchl
    This is getting deep into the weeds, but the possibility that engineering might interest her makes me realize that I REALLY need to work on her math with her. She's pretty good, but needs to learn what I, as an old fogie, call the "times tables." (I suspect soe of you guys have heard of those? Don't think they still call 'em that...)
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • verb
    This is getting deep into the weeds, but the possibility that engineering might interest her makes me realize that I REALLY need to work on her math with her. She's pretty good, but needs to learn what I, as an old fogie, call the "times tables." (I suspect soe of you guys have heard of those? Don't think they still call 'em that...)

Nope you're actually right on target. Good math skills is the key. God I still remember taking all those classes. :smile:
  • stretchl
    What’s your profession and where, @verb
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • verb
    edited April 2019
    What’s your profession and where, @verb

Mechanical Engineer currently working for an automotive company in the Detroit area. Was in the Aerospace industry prior.
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    Love the safety first googles! Looks like you had a great time building.

Our council has evolved to 4 wheels must touch and be square to the surface. Not converting potential energy to kinetic energy on that 4th wheel is a huge advantage.

My 9 year old won his den with a rule abiding scout built car. I personally think the rules are an exercise in critical thinking...if you can work smarter and harder you should have an advantage lesson. Either way, my number one rule for my kids was have fun.

We did district racing just for the experience last weekend. His car was faster than most, but most were set up to be high on the starting pin. He was 1/2 a car to a car length behind at the bottom of the ramp just due to the manual start. He did pass some cars and had fun. Just no way to overcome the disadvantage in a cumulative time. nujl5xxvgxbf.jpg
    3h1cwg204rkb.jpg
    0qdnsw37t1z9.jpg
    33h84bfnhaz2.png
  • stretchl
    Great post, @cincycat13
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • stretchl
    edited April 2019
    Prairieland Council races today!

We’ve been tweaking the car, using BBs to zero in on the 5oz max weight and, of course, adding some bling. Grace likes glitter. :)

9i5swnhk5tda.jpeg

dtuoxn3mag1x.jpeg

5ui23jonzyk7.jpeg

- Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Good luck to you two. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • stretchl
    And math. Spelling not so much.

bf4jz6qd0p09.jpeg
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Good luck!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • kharp1
    Looks like she's having fun with it.
  • stretchl
    Well, we finished 55th out of 87 cars. :( I really screwed up the wheel alignment the morning of the race when I tried to get the angle thing going. The car bounced back and forth against the middle rail like mad, eventually jumping off the track entirely after crossing the finish line in one race. But... we had a blast, the initial award at the pack level was a huge confidence booster for her, we learned a lot and she's now very committed to Scouting. All in all, a great project. One to next year... :). Thanks for your support, guys.
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    edited April 2019
    She had fun and that is all that matters. You both have some experience now and I'm sure she will do better next year if she races.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Sorry to here the wheel alignment did her in. :'(

She knows what wheel alignment is now for sure. I'll bet she won't let that happen again. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    Tony M wrote: »
    Sorry to here the wheel alignment did her in. :'(

She knows what wheel alignment is now for sure. I'll bet she won't let that happen again. :)

Exactly! Lot's of fun, and learning going on! :smile:
  • kharp1
    I'm going to get sappy here for a minute, or two, but, I've had a really rough year and this thread really did something good for my heart. I'm feel great pride for you. Treasured moments for you two. Thanks for sharing.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Keep on racing. Fun thread and thanks for sharing
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • stretchl
    edited April 2019
    (my mistake)
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • stretchl
    @kharp1 Aw, man! Thanks so much for sharing that. Hope things improve for you. I always enjoy seeing Deputy Fife on the forum. :)
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I'm going to get sappy here for a minute, or two, but, I've had a really rough year and this thread really did something good for my heart. I'm feel great pride for you. Treasured moments for you two. Thanks for sharing.

- Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals