Bedroom talk - Where the magic happens -

Options
treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,316
Okay, now get your mind out of the gutter.

Now that I have gotten your attention, the wife and I are in the market for a mattress. The last one we had lasted about 12 years, even though we should have replaced it about 6 moths ago due to sagging where we typically sleep. The last one was a Serta, so naturally we got another one.

Went to Sam's Club and got the Serta Glenmoor Luxry Hybrid Super pillow top. The first night's sleep was a breath of fresh air. No back pain for the first time in a year and when I fell asleep at 10:00pm, I woke up at 4:30am in the same exact position I fell asleep in. Even woke my love bug up to tell her this! (Although at 4:30am, she could have cared less).

When we both woke up the next morning and got out of bed? Wow. We both felt relaxed with a new sense of vigor that we hadn't felt in a while. Both of us had zero back pain.

The next night, it was like we were sleeping on the old mattress again. Tossing, turning, waking each other up because we couldn't get comfortable and my back started hurting again (Big surprise there...lol...it ALWAYS hurts).

With each night, it seemed to get progressively worse and last night was the final straw. We tossed and turned so much that neither of us really got any sleep and both of us are complaining about lower back pain, hip pain and even my ribs are hurting, which has never happened. When we both got out of bed this morning like an old crotchety couple who needed canes to get up out of bed, we both said at the same time that we are sleeping on the couch tonight. I immediately went right to the medicine cabinet and downed two Aleve, I was in so much pain.

The mattress is officially 8 days old today and neither of us want to sleep on it. In fact, we dread the thought of even getting into it. Our inflatable camping bed is more comfortable than this thing. Not to mention, you can already tell that it is sagging....at 8 DAYS OLD!!!

Do you have any great (not just good) real life recommendations that will not break the bank? This new mattress was highly rated....about 4-4.8 stars....and I wouldn't even rate it a 1. It's going back to Sam's as soon as my back feels good enough to wrap it back up and get it the hell out of our bedroom.

Even if it's just a recommendation on how to try out a mattress at the store. This one felt great and look what happened after 8 days.

What say you?

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Denver Mattress if you have one of those near you. Try them out they have a pretty darn good warranty on theirs for years....
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Beauti rest black
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Keep Russ out of your bed and a mattress last forever...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Select Comfort... the Sleep Number people. Get their best and never look back.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Beauti rest black

We have that one too!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Select Comfort... the Sleep Number people. Get their best and never look back.

Don't even need their best, we have a king P5 in the master bedroom and recently bought a full P5 for our guest room. We love them.

It did take about 30 days to adjust to it. The first 30 days I hated it, then bliss.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    OK, I'll ask the question....so, did you get any?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Original mattress factory. Flagship mattress is still <$2k and it’s phenomenal
    Not a fan of air or foam myself.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    I’ve said before that the tempurpedic cloud that we bought 7 years ago when our twins were months along with a really nice platform frame was the best purchase we ever made. But I greatly prefer a good foam mattress over literally any boxspring, so keep that in mind...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I have to throw purple out there. I have no direct experience but they have a100 day trial and they cover return shipping.

I use their seat cushion for my car. I have put 65000 miles on that cushion. It is literally the exact shape, size and form as the day I bought it. It doesn't get hot or sticky feeling. It doesn't cut off circulation to my legs. Quite frankly, it's amazing.

I'm not in the mattress market for a few more years, but when I am, I will start with purple and work my way out.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    Stearns and Foster if you want an old school spring mattress that holds up well. Had mine for nearly 6 years now and am still pleased.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Sleep number, we've had two and wouldn't buy anything else.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • treitz3
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Original mattress factory. Flagship mattress is still <$2k and it’s phenomenal
    Not a fan of air or foam myself.

This one's out. No return policy. I refuse to pay for something that you only buy once every 6 to 7 years, can go into the thousands, has the potential to wreck the quality of life for me on a major scale (read: every waking and sleeping moment of my life) and I am stuck with it whether it's heaven or hell after purchase.

I was looking forward to your input, as you and I are about the same size. Thanks.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,001
    Options
    We went through this not too long ago, and eventually went with Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid...you choose the firmness (Keburn, Silver, Gold, Copper, etc.). Being a hybrid, it has both foam and coils, and a cooling gel layer.

First we tried a mattress-in-a-box from Performa. It was okay initially, then felt too firm, so got relegated to the guest room.

My wife picked the Sealy by going to a mattress store and laying on several. Then she brought me in for my take on the firmness. I would really recommend going to a mattress store and trying several yourself...lay in different positions, etc. Think of it like going to Hi-Fi Buys and auditioning audio gear. Bringing a boom box with a Barry White tape is optional B)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    OK, I'll ask the question....so, did you get any?

With the sleep number it is best to air up for that! >:)
  • audioluvr
    Options
    My original top of the line Beauti-Rest (wasn't called black then ) is 18 years old and is still very comfortable.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    My original top of the line Beauti-Rest (wasn't called black then ) is 18 years old and is still very comfortable.

And unless covered in a sealed, waterproof cover, full of dustmites, skin and sweat... :#
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • audioluvr
    Options
    It's called a mattress cover
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• treitz3
    Options
    Yeah, we had a 3" foam cover on our old one. It was as light as the day we bought it and basically brand spankin' new on the top, minus the sagging. It's only when you place 1 thin sheet between you and the mattress that things like that can occur. I have trashed out mattresses that probably weighed in at 80-100 pounds more than they were when new (not at my home....construction/rehabs). Those are nasty.

The next purchase I will ask the salesman/woman if we can return it if we don't take off the original plastic wrap. I will know within a couple of days if the mattress will work for us or not. If they can't do it? Neither can I. I will just find a manufacturer that will accept my terms or they do not get my business.

I refuse to buy an inferior mattress (for my needs) and be stuck with it because of some BS "policy". Our guest room is the Stereo room, so it's not like we will simply "move it on down the line". Guests get the blow up mattress (which is actually quite comfortable)......AND can be removed quickly.

Tom
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    Options
    We bought a king size Tuft and Needle mattress a couple of years ago and are thrilled with it. So much so that we got one for our spare bedroom for guests too, and all of them have liked it a lot. They have a 100 night trial period too. There is no way to know if it will work for you except to try it. I would suggest you skip over any mattress that won't give you a free trial period of at least 100 nights. As you found out, you can't tell how it will work for you until you spend some time on it.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    I hope you get a new bed soon, Tom.
    So I can come over and throw up on it for your thread title.
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    @msg make sure it's not on a Tuesday
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    Mattress Firm -Simmons came out with their answer to one of the most comfortable mattresses on the planet called The Scarlett. We've owned it about a year and talk about a game changer. Unbelievable.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • treitz3
    Options
    THJ, is that the same thing as the Beautyrest Black?

Tom
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    THJ, is that the same thing as the Beautyrest Black?

Tom

Yes and no. While The Scarlett is grouped in The Black... It is their Mac Daddy and it truly is an amazing mattress. Coupled with The Comfort Rest adjustable base it makes our nights very enjoyable.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • audioluvr
    Options
    The Scarlett is a really nice one if you like a memory foam one. My GF and I bought the Platinum. I have a bad neck, back, hip, elbow, knee and attitude and I sleep comfortably on it with little to no tossing and turning all night.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    I need to be given the "Didn't read the whole post" badge but what was the comfort level of your mattress? Soft, medium, firm?
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    Options
    I've had several top-of-the-line traditional mattresses from Simmons and Sealy, but the best sleep I've ever had has been on a BedInABox (PacBamboo King 13" Memory Foam Mattress). It's counter-intuitive, since the BedInABox cost less (being direct). Going on 8 years now and it's still the best sleep I ever had.
  • treitz3
    Options
    I need to be given the "Didn't read the whole post" badge but what was the comfort level of your mattress? Soft, medium, firm?

I can't remember what the last one was (I think it was firm) but the one we currently have is firm.

Tom
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Tom,

The wife & I did that journey a couple of years ago for much the same reason as you are.
    Standard vendor mattresses didn't fit the bill, mostly because of the trial period (or lack of same thereof)

We went with Casper at first, but it was a bit too firm. Reviews we saw siad Tuft&Needle was even firmer.

Wound up with a Ghostbed, which we love.

100 night trial & they handle pickup if you don't like it. Which, to be fair, so do the other "bed in a box" companies.

Tony