WTB: Yamaha CR 2020 or CA 1010

pglbook
pglbook Posts: 2,167
edited February 2019 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I am looking to buy a Yamaha CR 2020 receiver or a Yamaha CA 1010 integrated for a second system. Should be in very nice cosmetic condition and perfect working condition. I have had a CR 2020 in the past matched with Polk speakers (Monitor 10s and 7s and SDA 2B TLs) and the CR 2020 was a great match. Unfortunately my CR 2020 died about a month ago. I have not had a CA 1010 but I have heard that they are also great. Please send me a pm if anyone has either of these for sale. Thanks.

Comments

• Coupe1985
    Coupe1985 Posts: 34
    A friend of mine has a minty CR1020, Located near Lebanon PA,
    Also saw this on Craigslist https://lancaster.craigslist.org/ele/d/immaculata-yamaha-2020-receiver/6830166900.html
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Why don't you repair the CR2020? Are parts hard to find/expensive?
  • pglbook
    Coupe1985 wrote: »
    A friend of mine has a minty CR1020, Located near Lebanon PA,
    Also saw this on Craigslist https://lancaster.craigslist.org/ele/d/immaculata-yamaha-2020-receiver/6830166900.html

Thanks. PM sent.

• pglbook
    edited March 2019
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Why don't you repair the CR2020? Are parts hard to find/expensive?

Thanks. The problem is, more than the cost, finding a repair tech who knows who to fix this vintage receiver. Unfortunately, competent vintage stereo repair techs are a dying breed. There is nobody close to me. I took another CR 2020 that I had and that also needed repair to a local repair tech about 5 years ago. He had it for a month, thought he had fixed the problem, and returned it to me. But the problem was not fixed. So I took it back. He had it for another month and finally called me and said that " these CR 2020 receivers are a real pain to fix...I replaced some resistors but it has hundreds of resistors and I don't know which are the bad ones...I give up...I don't know how to fx it." And he refunded my money. Unfortunately, he is the only repair tech within hours and hours of me and I am not taking this one to him. I already learned my lesson.

Post edited by pglbook on
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    edited March 2019
    By the way -- speaking of CR-2020. The preamp/power amp connect/disconnect switch *(labeled "COUPLER") on the back panel of these receivers is a notorious trouble spot. @pglbook did you try popping the top & cleaning the switch connections?

My CR-2020 periodically (every few years) exhibits some really distressing symptoms that has turned out to be caused by crud/oxidation in that switch's contacts. A quick drizzle of DeOxit and Bob's your uncle! Back in business for a few years.

n8msmcc2jrmu.png

Figured that was worthy of mention. :|

I will also add that all of the switches, knobs and pots of these ol' Yamahas seem to be a little more susceptible than average to oxidation/crudding up over time. I love the danged things, but I do find about every five years I have to clean the controls. :|

Finally, let me just go on record as saying (agreeing): Yes, these old receivers are too danged complicated for their own good. :(

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    Oh, I will also say the nice thing about the CA-1010 and the CA-2010 is the ability to switch to Class A operating bias on the outputs. The output power, of course, drops appreciably, and the heat dissipation increases substantially -- but if one has suitably sensitive loudspeakers, those bad boys do sound good in Class A. :)

As long as I am not helping @pglbook find a replacement for his CR-2020 :/ I
    will also mention that the current line of Yamaha integrated amplifiers both look nice and seem to garner high praise from folks who've invested in one.

Just throwin' that out there FWIW, you know?

• Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    Are you still looking for A 1010? Got one in my shop with matching tuner the integrated has been completely recapped and the tuner is realigned.
  • pglbook
    edited March 2019
    Thanks but I decided to have my CR 2020 fixed. But I am curious: What price do you have on the CA 1010? Are you selling it separately from the tuner? Thanks gain.
  • pglbook
    Montoya wrote: »
    Are you still looking for A 1010? Got one in my shop with matching tuner the integrated has been completely recapped and the tuner is realigned.

send me a pm with price and info on the CA 1010. Thanks
  • Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    It sold this weekend I have another on the work bench now though. The other sold for 850.00 Tuner and Integrated.
  • pglbook
    edited April 2019
    ok thanks, no problem. I decided to get my CR 2020 fixed as I located a great tech to work on it so funds are really tied up in that repair for now. Thanks again.