HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface)

SPEAKER7
SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
edited January 2005 in Electronics
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone owns a HDMI DVD player or planning to purchase one in the near future? I was wondering if the technology is worth paying for and is the picture quality much better than a regular progressive scan DVD player(hi definition quality)?.

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

thanks!

dc.:confused:

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=2&group=4&product=3730
Post edited by SPEAKER7 on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited December 2004
    HDMI is only the transport mechanism, and was created solely for the purpose of convenience (having audio and video through 1 output)...it's not going to give you better quality video or anything...

HDMI is on par with DVI and component out as far as quality goes...

Highest quality - HDMI, DVI, and component out
    Medium quality - S Video out
    Low quality - composite (yellow video cable) out
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited December 2004
    ACTUALLY, DVI and HDMI have better picture than Component video. CV is a compressed signal where it's uncompressed on HDMI/DVI. Other than that, it's still the same resolution. Difference? Yes but not enough to blow your mind (like jumping from Composite to Compenent).

Plus, very VERY little HDMI is actually sending the audio right now and the only one's sending the audio are sending it analog stereo. Still gotta get the players up to speed. Stay with Component video. It's tried and true.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited December 2004
    Speaker7,

I recommend the Denon 3910 on a daily basis. My customers always want to see what they are paying for and are they worth the extra price? I sit them down in front of a 50" plasma playing Diana Kralls "Live in Paris" music video. I show them what it looks like with CV and then I switch it to HDMI quickly. The usual response is "WOW" that is impressive. Then they either say "gimme that" or "It's nice, but I just don't want to spend the money right now."

I'm not trying to talk you in to spending the extra cash, but if you are wondering if it makes a noticeable difference then "yes" is your answer. If I get some extra time I may take one of our Hi-res digital cameras and see if I can capture it. Sony’s HDMI unit also does an admirable job. Panasonic’s unit makes the picture brighter and sharper, but I see too many jagged lines. The picture should look smooth and 3 dimensional. As for Toshiba’s unit you will have to your own research.

A true HD signal looks just as good using either CV or HDMI. When you up convert a DVD signal from 480p to 720p or 1080i then DVI and HDMI makes a more noticeable difference. It's not a true HD quality, but I think by keeping the up converted signal in the uncompressed digital domain, it just does wonders for standard DVD’s. Those dam Superbit movies are simply stunning using an up converted player.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2004
    I've got a Denon DVD-1910 with DVI output and a Panasonic 53" RPT with HMDI input and a DVI to HMDI cable on order. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks what my impressions are.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2004
    Sorry. I have too much invested to worry about it. Sounds nice, but the workhorse doesn't support it, so it'll have to left.
  • John B
    John B Posts: 9
    edited January 2005
    Glad to hear you like these units. I just ordered one from ListenUp.com . Now I need to run down a DVI cable. It seems there are mildly mixed reviews about HDMI to DVI cabling for the 3910 and I'm locked in with DVI on my Sony. Do you have any experience with HDMI to DVI?

Originally posted by jrausch
    Speaker7,

I recommend the Denon 3910 on a daily basis. My customers always want to see what they are paying for and are they worth the extra price? I sit them down in front of a 50" plasma playing Diana Kralls "Live in Paris" music video. I show them what it looks like with CV and then I switch it to HDMI quickly. The usual response is "WOW" that is impressive. Then they either say "gimme that" or "It's nice, but I just don't want to spend the money right now."

Sony 42XBR95 TV
    Yamaha RXV 1500
    Adcom 5802
    Polk RTi12 Fronts
    Polk CSi3 Center
    Polk TC80i (Ceiling) Surrounds
    Velodyne 3750 Sub
    Denon 3910 DVD -- Pride Joy!
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited January 2005
    I just ordered a Denon 1910 (upconverts to 1080i, digital with no conversions) which has a DVI-D out, which I'll connect to my HDTV with a DVI-D to HDMI cable. I'm going to guess that, yes, it is worth it, but I won't know for sure until it arrives.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited January 2005
    Thanks everyone for sharing your insights!

I'll be following closely for further updates...on this board and see some more personal experiences with this technology before I put some money down.

thanks!

dc.:D
  • John B
    John B Posts: 9
    edited January 2005
    I just got my Denon 3910 yesterday. I have to say I'm impressed! I have it rigged to my receiver via digital coax (with component for backup) and to my Sony TV via the DVI-D interface.

Very nice picture! I've played with the 720 and 1020 upscaling. You need either DVI or HDMI to upscale. And with Saving Private Ryan and Lord of the Rings it is stunning.

Way too many options yet to be explored, and the manual is lame. But this one has a home.
    Sony 42XBR95 TV
    Yamaha RXV 1500
    Adcom 5802
    Polk RTi12 Fronts
    Polk CSi3 Center
    Polk TC80i (Ceiling) Surrounds
    Velodyne 3750 Sub
    Denon 3910 DVD -- Pride Joy!