Canceling my Amazon Prime

Options

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    @mhardy6647 In the near future Americans will no longer own any type of car. Self driving "Ubers" that you summon when needed via a smart phone app will have taken over. Also, hear me now and believe me later. No one will be able to afford insurance on a car that is piloted by a human once "Johnny Cabs" line the streets.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Well, I have calmed down, and will probably keep it. I still wish they had a less expensive version with just shipping, and no streaming video, music, etc.
    You guys just can't make up your minds! First we have, The Demon is Coming (no, it's not), and now we have Canceling my Amazon Prime (well, probably not). Too bad thread titles can't be updated! :p
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited April 2018
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @mhardy6647 In the near future Americans will no longer own any type of car. Self driving "Ubers" that you summon when needed via a smart phone app will have taken over. Also, hear me now and believe me later. No one will be able to afford insurance on a car that is piloted by a human once "Johnny Cabs" line the streets.

I do believe you're right -- but in the meantime, the last of my (our?) generation will, if left to their own devices, be buying behemoths -- sans trunks.

:#

PS I am looking, with some seriousness, at used F-350s. But only to tow a trailer with our son-in-law's 7000 lb tractor on it.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I do believe you're right -- but in the meantime, the last of my (our?) generation will, if left to their own devices, be buying behemoths -- sans trunks.

:#

PS I am looking, with some seriousness, at used F-350s. But only to tow a trailer with our son-in-law's 7000 lb tractor on it.

make sure you save enough to get the mandatory "T-1000" retrofit. Two of them!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    The part of this that really strikes me as odd; Amazon posted record sales last quarter--so they needed to "raise" prime membership? Huh? Bezo's is the richest person on the planet.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    The part of this that really strikes me as odd; Amazon posted record sales last quarter--so they needed to "raise" prime membership? Huh? Bezo's is the richest person on the planet.

That's the way business works :)

Many, many years ago, I heard of a contest that was held to identify the best inexplicable mystery in the world (or something along those lines). The winning entry was (and I am paraphrasing liberally, mostly because I don't feel like looking up the dates):
    In the 1950s, lead was added to gasoline -- and the price was increased.
    In the 1980s, lead was removed from gasoline -- and the price was increased.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    Options
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Oh, I get the logistics behind it; just seems odd out of a (supposedly) "lookin out for the little guy" billionaire like Bezos.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    So today I realized that I fell victim to one of the oldest marketing schemes out there. I thought my free trial ended May 1st, but in fact it was April 1st! Duh! Idiot! By not cancelling, they automatically converted my trial to a one year subscription. :smile: So now I got prime for a year. Mine was 99 bucks, with renewal in April 2019 for the same price.

I was impressed that the 2-day delivery includes Sunday. Ordered something on Friday, delivered to the door when we got home after errands on Sunday.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • afterburnt
    Options

Many, many years ago, I heard of a contest that was held to identify the best inexplicable mystery in the world (or something along those lines). The winning entry was (and I am paraphrasing liberally, mostly because I don't feel like looking up the dates):

By the 1980s they had to find another way to get rid of the lead in an environmentally safe way? Life was better when you could just dump everything into the ocean.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    Options

By the 1980s they had to find another way to get rid of the lead in an environmentally safe way? Life was better when you could just dump everything into the ocean.

Nope - the lead (in the form of tetraethyllead, an anti-knock agent) was added to gasoline. Nature, or the ferns and the dionsaurs or the Hairy Thunderer or Cosmic Muffin* didn't put it there. :|

06as5hjrvut7.png

Options
    ok cool, the ocean still bites
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    I was impressed that the 2-day delivery includes Sunday. Ordered something on Friday, delivered to the door when we got home after errands on Sunday.

For the record, the "free 2-day shipping" doesn't mean that if you order something, it is guaranteed to arrive in 2 days. It means that once the item is shipped, it will arrive in 2 days.

I had Prime for 2 years and sometimes my items would, in fact, arrive 2 days from the time they were ordered. Other times, it would be a week or more before things were even shipped.

I finally cancelled Prime because there wasn't anything on Prime Video that I wanted to watch that wasn't already on Netflix. And I found that most items I wanted to order from Amazon were considerably more expensive than they were on eBay, even if I had to pay $3, $5 or even $10 for shipping on eBay.

Now, if I want something from Amazon, and the price is right, I just order $25 worth of stuff and get free shipping. I don't give a tinker's cuss if a CD that I may not listen to for months comes in 2 days or 7 days. :p
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    So today I realized that I fell victim to one of the oldest marketing schemes out there. I thought my free trial ended May 1st, but in fact it was April 1st! Duh! Idiot! By not cancelling, they automatically converted my trial to a one year subscription. :smile: So now I got prime for a year. Mine was 99 bucks, with renewal in April 2019 for the same price.

You can cancel and they pro-rate your refund.

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    I use the 'honey' and 'wikibuy' extensions with amazon. If you use chrome, just search and download the extension. It will automatically look for coupons and cheaper prices elsewhere.
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wikibuy/nenlahapcbofgnanklpelkaejcehkggg?hl=en-US
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/honey/bmnlcjabgnpnenekpadlanbbkooimhnj?hl=en-US

I buy a lot on amazon and it is rare for me to find it cheaper on ebay. And if i do, sometimes it's from China and takes 3 weeks to get here. Or I can order it from amazon and it be here in a couple days.

Here's one of the times I've found ebay to be cheaper, but amazon did NOT offer it on prime, which is probably one of the reasons why it was cheaper on ebay:

https://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-Specialty-Tools-OFGMRD08-Engine/dp/B00JLZ9FDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526575023&sr=8-1&keywords=OFGMRD08

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191201783946

I didn't even have to search ebay separately, the wikibuy extension found it for me.

Definitely worth it for me. We use the music on Alexa to keep our 3 year old happy, we also use the video from time to time which is nice. $10/mo isn't a deal breaker for me. I'd probably pay for it at $15/mo., but I order quite a bit from amazon.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • verb
    Options
    Those sneaky Devils! Just got an email reminder that my annual renewal is due in 3 days! After I got snookered via a free trial last year and forgot to cancel.

$119/year. Ugh.

Got some thinking to do over the weekend :smile:

Any updates or horror stories from my esteemed CP friends? Should I renew?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    I love my Amazon Prime, and use it for almost everything. It is only $9.91a month, my Netflix is $10.99 and going up to $12.99 next month. And I use my Amazon a whole lot more than Netflix.

I have never had a problem with Amazon deliveries and the couple of times I did, they mailed out a replacement without any hassles. Amazon saves me time, energy and probably money.

Being able to find ANYTHING I could possibly want and have it delivered to my door is well worth $9.91 a month.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    Options
    @verb. Data point so you can consider.

Household is married couple in their early 60's.
    Kids are grown & gone. We both work.

Off work time is *precious* to us. We have adventures.

We don't want to "waste" time shopping.

Amazon prime is worth every bit of that cost for us.

Any issues we have had were resolved very quickly. Be assured that , whether Amazon says it or not, Prime get's you better support.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I placed 227 individual orders with them in 2018 just for myself, some weighing up to 150 lbs. Most of those orders were for multiple items, and Amazon would sometimes send them in separate boxes. Probably more like around 300 boxes or packaging envelopes actually delivered last year.

Always free delivery except for when I wanted a high end 32 inch monitor and ordered it on a Friday for delivery on Saturday when I was home. That was around $10 extra for next day delivery. Also use Prime video a lot. A lot of the stuff I buy I would not be able to find in stores anymore. I don't waste time and gas and avoid wear and tear on my car by no longer having to drive all over to try and find things like I used to do.

I consider that winning.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I love my Amazon Prime, and use it for almost everything. It is only $9.91a month, my Netflix is $10.99 and going up to $12.99 next month. And I use my Amazon a whole lot more than Netflix.

I have never had a problem with Amazon deliveries and the couple of times I did, they mailed out a replacement without any hassles. Amazon saves me time, energy and probably money.

Being able to find ANYTHING I could possibly want and have it delivered to my door is well worth $9.91 a month.

Me too. We watch Prime Video and do a ton of shopping. I love it.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • verb
    Options
    I can say that I've enjoyed Prime Video. Man in the High Castle among my favorite shows! :smile:
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Maybe I will cancel it after I retire in April. Other than DVDs and CDs, I haven’t bought much the last 6 months or so.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Oh And Yeah.

Prime Video is nice!
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I placed 227 individual orders with them in 2018 just for myself, some weighing up to 150 lbs. Most of those orders were for multiple items, and Amazon would sometimes send them in separate boxes. Probably more like around 300 boxes or packaging envelopes actually delivered last year.

Always free delivery except for when I wanted a high end 32 inch monitor and ordered it on a Friday for delivery on Saturday when I was home. That was around $10 extra for next day delivery. Also use Prime video a lot. A lot of the stuff I buy I would not be able to find in stores anymore. I don't waste time and gas and avoid wear and tear on my car by no longer having to drive all over to try and find things like I used to do.

I consider that winning.

I couldn't agree more. I use Prime for everything.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Yep, we get our use out of prime. Well worth the $10 a month. But with a 6 person household, that shouldn’t be surprising...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Love Prime as we use it a lot.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    I use prime quite a bit as well as the fire tv. Easy to jailbreak and put some decent apps on.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Mr. Bozo and his stockholders (I am one) are making money off me. I frequently buy items on Amazon. I also have a family subscription to Prime Music. My wife, daughter and I use it to stream music. I also have Tidal HiFi and Netflix subscriptions. I consider these as being a high value to cost ratio for me based on convenience.
    Carl

• verb
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    I use prime quite a bit as well as the fire tv. Easy to jailbreak and put some decent apps on.

You coming to Axpona? We'll have to talk about this whole jailbreak thing. :smile:
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »

You coming to Axpona? We'll have to talk about this whole jailbreak thing. :smile:

And then shoot me a pm with details:)

BTW: I use my Prime membership weekly, usually multiple times per week. I listen to a decent amount of Prime Music as background-type music. Don't watch a ton of Prime Video, but it's to have if we're looking for a movie to watch.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden