Very Early Set of Monitor 10 or 10A

Options
Hey guys. So I picked up what I think is a very early set of Monitor 10 or 10A's tonight. Serial numbers 50005 and 50008. I've never seen a pair or seen a reference to a pair with this low of a serial number. Peerless tweeters and double fuses on the back. Vinyl veneer.

Any thought on the production dates for these? I've only seen an occasional reference to the double fuses, sometimes for 10s and sometimes for 10As. I never understood the difference between the two.

0tmwl2ydedqq.jpg
nlncaadedjb6.jpg

v5np612olmpu.jpg
xjg04e49wqjm.jpg

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    First gen model 10 with likely the mw6500 mids. Need a recap and binding posts. Round here if you got them for 150 or less, you did well.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    I thought first gen was the non doped cones? Are these and those considered gen 1 with just earlier and later designations?
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    The twin fuses make me think of (very) early 10As -- I say that by comparison to
    my early 7As, which have two fuses each... but the label on the back is rather different.

FWIW: this is what the original Monitor Series Model 10 looked like -- uncoated paper PR.

9606201717_d3fb6c6688_z.jpgearlypolkfamilyportrait by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

11208619575_674f036d9b_b.jpg
    P1020559 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    I will call them 10s but I don't think even Polk knows if these are 10's or 10As. Apparently the guy who built them didn't know either. At that time it just depended what marketing wanted to call them.

It doesn't really matter. With the Peerless tweeter after a recap they will sound great. I have a a pair of the later10As with only one fuse and they blow the 10Bs away.