"It's official: Open-Plan Offices Are Now the Dumbest Management Fad of All Time"

Options
2»

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @mhardy6647 I don't know bullethead but I think I like him.

most of his interesting content at AA gets deleted after a day or so...

Must be a good dude
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Funny part is, being down in the warehouse my office is bigger than the Commanding Generals office. hehe. Take that, elites!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I drive my office around....

I actually do a lot of work in the car. I have to travel a lot, mostly around town to visit suppliers, etc., even on campus. With wifi in the car, I can do a lot of work (not driving of course) like video conferencing, VPN into the work network, etc.

And working from home is becoming more and more common. On Friday's the Mrs and I try to work from home.

The world's a changing, for sure. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    verb wrote: »

I actually do a lot of work in the car. I have to travel a lot, mostly around town to visit suppliers, etc., even on campus. With wifi in the car, I can do a lot of work (not driving of course) like video conferencing, VPN into the work network, etc.

And working from home is becoming more and more common. On Friday's the Mrs and I try to work from home.

Our son-in-law, a public defender, does a fair amount of work out of his vehicle, too (e.g., he spends a fair amount of time en route to and at the county jail :) )... I got him one of these in an attempt to improve his mobile office.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/cab-commander-2.0-36204.html?dwvar_36204_color=DEV#q=cab+commander&lang=default&start=2

gs2j0bgzmlfp.png
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    So I have a cubicle, next to a guy in another cube who is never there. There is a third cube empty from when a peer was never replaced. I think the other remaining guy may retire. If that happens, I am bringing in my tools to work and creating the company's largest cubicle. The cube walls will also be expanded up to the ceiling and Im taking over the entire wall of windows. This way....I will never have to interact or acknowledge anyone in the facility!
    With this much space...I think a proper 2 channel system will be in order!
  • afterburnt
    Options
    verb wrote: »

Our son-in-law, a public defender, does a fair amount of work out of his vehicle, too (e.g., he spends a fair amount of time en route to and at the county jail :) )... I got him one of these in an attempt to improve his mobile office.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/cab-commander-2.0-36204.html?dwvar_36204_color=DEV#q=cab+commander&lang=default&start=2

gs2j0bgzmlfp.png

What's the "Crud Buster" stuff, I think I need it?
  • verb
    Options
    One of the interesting things about an open floor plan is the general awareness of being disruptive to others around you.

The dorito crunching, soup slurping, loud talking on the phone, other obnoxious behavior, is exposed for all to see. No longer can you hide behind the cubicle walls, and think that nobody notices.

I had a guy on the other side of my cube who would always have phone conversations on speakerphone. Even it was just him! I actually talked to him several times, got an apology, things would settle down for a bit, but then start up again.

In an open floor plan, that type of behavior is exposed, and literally not acceptable.

I've seen newbies to an open floor plan get tapped on the shoulder, and pointed toward the conference room or phone zone, if they were thought to be too loud.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I bet an MBA came up with the open floor plan layout. How would you like to have dbryant next to you? LOL
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • verb
    Options
    Everyone wants to be like Google.
    8k5hnt9e2rcw.png
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    The only irony is that it took someone's hard-won grant money to determine this.

The once wide spread common sense is nowadays rare as a unicorn

Indeed....almost at tragic levels too.

I think this open floor plan idea was so that the supervisors could keep an eye on everyone. Now, they want to eliminate desks as we know them for those stand up models. Can't have you getting fat sitting down all day ya know, healthcare costs money, loss of productivity, time off.

In this respect, I think the Europeans kick our rear ends. They offer up shorter work weeks and give out vacation time like candy. Keeps them from going postal I guess. What do we offer ? Long hours, Bud light and bad weed, fast food and terrible coffee ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I think that implementation cost (which is next to nothing -- an empty space and some tables and chairs; heck nowadays "they" don't even need ethernet drops!) is the primary driver, with visibility to management being secondary.

• steveinaz
    Options
    Believe it or not, when I was in 4th grade (1971'ish?) I went to a brand new "Open concept" school--public school system mind you. It was called Granemann elementary. It was kind of stupid. All carpet, no chairs, no desks, it was suppose to make you feel more like you were at home. We had 2 large "pods." The first pod was 1st thru 3rd graders. Think LARGE circle type affair, no walls between classes. Pod 2 was 4th thru 6th graders. Since you didn't have a desk, there was this large roll-around, and each student had a drawer with their name on it.

I found it uncomfortable. I didn't like trying to write in my lap. After 1 year of that place, I was ready for a conventional school.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @steveinaz they did that in my school they knocked down the walls between the classrooms. Evidently, they thought that the kids weren't getting dumb enough in the conventional classrooms.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Believe it or not, when I was in 4th grade (1971'ish?) I went to a brand new "Open concept" school--public school system mind you. It was called Granemann elementary. It was kind of stupid. All carpet, no chairs, no desks, it was suppose to make you feel more like you were at home. We had 2 large "pods." The first pod was 1st thru 3rd graders. Think LARGE circle type affair, no walls between classes. Pod 2 was 4th thru 6th graders. Since you didn't have a desk, there was this large roll-around, and each student had a drawer with their name on it.

I found it uncomfortable. I didn't like trying to write in my lap. After 1 year of that place, I was ready for a conventional school.

I remember thjose -- they were all the rage in MD in the very late 1960s in the public schools.
    I, fortunately (from my perspective, and given my personality), managed to avoid them, having gone to private school (not snooty private schools, but private nonetheless). B)
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    In the early 60's I lived in a very small town where the entire 5th and 6th grades were in one room and both taught by the same teacher. One particularly gifted young girl in the 5th grade like me was able to listen, learn and even take the 6th grade tests so she was able to skip the 6th grade the next year. So there are some advantages to the open plan to.
  • steveinaz
    Options
    I was fortunate that we moved after my 4th grade, and my next school was a traditional set-up.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    In my case it was opposite. I came from a traditional 4th grade class where there were many classes and many teachers. Strangely enough I did much better in the open 5th and 6th grade classroom when we moved.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    I saw one of my customers in Austin went to the extreme. Long work surfaces
    (double sided) with a 8" frosted glass between you and the guy across.
    You had just enough room for your laptop and elbows. Short frosted glass 6"
    dividers to your left and right. No assigned seating- just plop down and log
    into your phone. Not even a drawer.
    Right now I'm in short wall cubes, two to an office. I'm normally out and
    about half of each day to different sites across the city.
    I couldn't take being there all day every day. Packing people in there is
    now the norm. I miss my home office. That and that very short 20 step commute.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    One of the good things about technology, is that it allows many different professions to work from home now. Cuts down on expensive office space, employees save money and are happier too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    My job had the open space plan. I don't mind it much, I just put on headphones and get to work. I tried the work from home dealio but I can't stay on task and am less efficient.

It can be distracting when people are loud while trying to do some database management but I just turn up the tunes.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Next step after this open floor plan with no desks assigned. That can make the floor space even tighter. Seen this in Japan. Come in and choose a desk for the day. Neighbors are almost in arms reach and you need to be super quiet for it to work. Then there's huddle rooms for meetings and phone calls. Yuk.

I have seen an open floor plan that wasn't so bad...in Germany. Long corridor about 40 feet wide. Desks were on each side with a big walkway in the middle. People could then introduce cabinets, plants, other furniture to make makeshift walls. Since people were spaces far apart the noise was minimal. And draconian managers could still see most people at a glance.
  • steveinaz
    Options
    My job had the open space plan. I don't mind it much, I just put on headphones and get to work.

Headphones mess up my awesome hair.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    If I can work on a plane, in a coffee shop, or at a bar, I could work in an open office. The rest of you are just lazy old farts 🤣
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    If I can work on a plane, in a coffee shop, or at a bar, I could work in an open office. The rest of you are just lazy old farts 🤣

You must not work in IT where everyone walks up to your desk and pesters you to try and circumvent the helpdesk system.

You're probably one of those people who does that.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »

You must not work in IT where everyone walks up to your desk and pesters you to try and circumvent the helpdesk system.

You're probably one of those people who does that.

I’m not an idiot. I solve my own IT problems.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • verb
    Options
    Next step after this open floor plan with no desks assigned.

In fact, that is our new footprint. No assigned desks, meaning no personal items to remain after the day is over.

Wait there's more. They only allocated 80% of desk space, with the assumption that on any given day the remainder of folks will be travelling, out of the office, etc.

Hold's true for me, with my job, cause I travel alot, but it'll be interesting to see how it works out. :smile:
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Sounds like the first hour will be spent personalizing the unassaigned space, and the last hour packing up personal items. Efficiency is becoming a foreign concept.