Top 2 Test Tracks

Options
2»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    @daddyjt - Concerning Mick Fleetwood's Rumors album - No doubt, even over the 45RPM 180g Mo-Fi edition. The DVD-A smokes it....not sure if I have the 5.1 or high-rez though.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    @daddyjt - Concerning Mick Fleetwood's Rumors album - No doubt, even over the 45RPM 180g Mo-Fi edition. The DVD-A smokes it....not sure if I have the 5.1 or high-rez though.

Tom

In the main menu, go to “sound options” (or something like that), and you can choose either 5.1 or high res 96/24. It defaults to 5.1 for some ungodly reason, so make sure you switch it to 96/24 2ch.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• treitz3
    Options
    Good deal man, I didn't even know that was an option! Thanks. This album is the ONLY reason I haven't gotten rid of the Denon whatever the hell it is....2910, I think. I keep it only for this album when I want to hear it sound its best. My current Marantz SACD player will not do DVD-A like the Denon does.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2019
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Good deal man, I didn't even know that was an option! Thanks. This album is the ONLY reason I haven't gotten rid of the Denon whatever the hell it is....2910, I think. I keep it only for this album when I want to hear it sound its best. My current Marantz SACD player will not do DVD-A like the Denon does.
    Tom

This is why I will always only get a universal player. While my SACD pile is growing, I started out with getting The Rumours, Night At The Opera, 1812, Hell Freezes Over, Hotel California, Machine Head, One Woman's Live Journey albums all on DVD-A. They are what I play when I want to give my system a work out!

My first player was Pioneers first universal player DV-47A. I switched it out for the Oppo 103 to get blu-rays.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Fleetwood Mac - The Chain, off the Rumors DVD Audio - it HAS to be the DVD-Audio high res version. The improvement in sound quality over the CD and/or LP is significant. The separation, clarity and staging are sublime.

Dishwalla - Candleburn, off the Opaline DVD Audio (High res version, not 5.1). The detail and presence, especially in the opening, is outstanding.

Good info here! I recently bought a replacement CD of Rumours and was not happy with the recording. Looks like I need to cough up the cash for the DVD-A version. They are not cheap...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Fleetwood Mac - The Chain, off the Rumors DVD Audio - it HAS to be the DVD-Audio high res version. The improvement in sound quality over the CD and/or LP is significant. The separation, clarity and staging are sublime.

Dishwalla - Candleburn, off the Opaline DVD Audio (High res version, not 5.1). The detail and presence, especially in the opening, is outstanding.

Good info here! I recently bought a replacement CD of Rumours and was not happy with the recording. Looks like I need to cough up the cash for the DVD-A version. They are not cheap...

I think Rumors DVD-A has gotten up around $50-75. It's a bargain even at that price. It's easily one of the top 5 best engineered and recorded pieces of media I have ever come across. Add to that the quality of the actual music, and it's a slam-dunk. As an added bonus, the photos and liner notes in the video portion are a lot of fun.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I really like this one! It has a broad variety of imaging and frequency testing sounds. Definitely a great SDA track.

... working down the list from there...
    mrloren wrote: »
    Gee,

I have a few to many.

1. Dire Straits, Money for Nothing SACD
    2. Pink Floyd Wish you Were Here SACD
    3. Rush 2112
    4. Tychaikovsky 1812 overture by Cincinnati Pops SACD.

All great tracks! I have a Rush Exit Stage Left SACD that I really like to use also for showing off my SDA's to friends. The first few tracks sound kind of like the crappy non SACD recordings but "Trees" and "Xanadu" are really cool!

I was not aware there was a Exit stage left SACD ? Care to point a fella to where this could be acquired?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options

I think Rumors DVD-A has gotten up around $50-75. It's a bargain even at that price. It's easily one of the top 5 best engineered and recorded pieces of media I have ever come across. Add to that the quality of the actual music, and it's a slam-dunk. As an added bonus, the photos and liner notes in the video portion are a lot of fun.

I have both DVD-A and SACD. Plenty of good buys to be had.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xfleetwood+mac+SACD.TRS0&_nkw=fleetwood+mac+SACD&_sacat=0
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Talk Talk, The Colour of Spring, Happiness Is Easy, on vinyl.

You get piano, electric guitar, electric bass, organ, a closely mic’d acoustic bass and four real, live, percussionists. They all seem to throw things out there which can be startling or surprising, and then it all makes sense. I listen for the differences in percussion, their placement in width and depth of sound stage. That closely mic’d bass can give one chills.

Then you have Hollis’s nasally vocals, Steve Winwood on the organ, and a children’s choir.

A video with previous speakers..

https://youtu.be/WLaGoC2A2tE

# 2, mhardy’s snagged it, The Hunter.

Depending on crowd, maybe some Skrillex, Bangarang, also on vinyl, to demonstrate the sustained low bass. The kewl thing about Sonny is he just doesn’t hang in the low frequencies.

h9hn3bf8j0g2.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • treitz3
    Options
    aiconn wrote: »
    I use a couple of tracks that I know well, and have used since the late 80s/ early 90s. From The Music of Espionage by Spies I like track 3 - Interlude for it's bass notes. I use Bonnie Raitt's I Can't Make You Love Me from Luck of the Draw to judge overall tone and smoothness.
    Hmmm, speaking of this. I feel as if I am that Burmester (or other very high end company) dude on the commercial that hears this "snap" at the end of the orchestral concert and always cringes when he hears it on his system.

Only to have the BIGGEST smile on his face when he goes to the actual concert and witnesses the director snap his wand in half. The sound was supposed to be there.

With that said, there is one of "those" sounds on that recording that simply drives me knuckin' futz. It comes right at about 5 minutes into the song, right when you are melted into your chair and mesmerized at the tune with the chimes coming around you from all directions.....and then "that noise"!!!

Completely ruins the mood for me. Drove me so nuts that I went out and got the DCC 24K gold CD remastered from the master tape by Steve Hoffman. Yup, it's on that one too. Grrr.

1480116796_folder.jpg

Tom

• stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Options
    What’s it sound like?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • treitz3
    Options
    It's been a while since I plopped in in. It's sounds like something that should clearly not be there. It is out of rhythm and sounds like a recording error or something that is very out of place. It's on every recording I have of that album.

Tom