Polk SDA2B "turbulence"

2»

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    edited March 2019
    RobbyKY wrote: »
    OK, I have the exact same set-up as the OP as one of my systems.

As much shade as Carver gets, I've never experience anything like what is being described here with the M1.0T (non-inverting model).

Granted, the 2B's have been given the full Polk upgrade and the Carver has been recapped, metal-filmed and generally upgraded where possible but not MKII modified.

They can rock some serious bass undistorted and my ears give up long before the amp gets into clipping.

Something else is amiss here. Probably time for a crossover rebuild or cabinet sealing project for starters.
    Your amp has been re-capped, and your speakers have been given the proper service after years of use, which is a quite different scenario than what the OP has at the moment. No shade on Carver amps from me as a general rule, but even you must honestly admit to yourself that there are amplifiers out there that, for a grand or close to it, could help you get even more from your speakers than the 1.0 can provide.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    To expand on my experience in a previous thread I do use a recapped high current amplifier and my SDAs have had upgraded crossovers as well.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    ...but even you must honestly admit to yourself that there are amplifiers out there that, for a grand or close to it, could help you get even more from your speakers than the 1.0 can provide.

By all means! I just like 'em cause I grew up with several and I'm pretty good at working on them which is what I really enjoy. No idea what current prices are but I've liked the Adcom GFA-5802 (maybe >$1K) and Hafler DH-500 (maybe $500) matched with the 2B's in the past. Would kind of like to pull the old 500 down from storage and give it the full rebuild as my next project. Lots of nice accessories for that thing floating around out there.

In the land of new, currently trying to stop myself from ordering a Parasound A21+ from AudioAdvisor. Tempting me at $3,150..........
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,451
    edited March 2019
    jeff_nh wrote: »
    No turntable. I think I know where you're going with this. In another setup a few months back I hit some type of resonance while running a turntable at high output levels. Scared the crap out of me for a second, then figured it out.
    I'm using macbook thru standalone DAC.
    I ended up buying the RD0194-1. Polk had them in stock. Very pleasant to deal with, didn't even have to ask for the club polk discount.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to go thru posts regarding sealing the cabinets. Maybe only about 2 seconds on the leak test.

2 seconds. You have a leak. Tighten all screws up including rear binding plate/cup. Check for loose base or top wood caps. You may need to remove PR & seal everything. Check all gaskets. Including tweeters. Reuse stock gaskets if ok..... Thats a start. You should enjoy the new upgraded tweeters
    Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,021
    I knew the title of this thread was remindin' me of somethin'... finally came up with it.

w19tuejg6tsn.png
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,451
    edited March 2019
    also. Check the tightness of the screw that holds the crossover board on. Its on back by the plate/cup. My 2b speakers my daughter has now came loose. Worth checking. I had same issue as you. I ended up opening them up & doing everything. Fun project. Maybe 5-20.00 bucks in material & really need to be done due to age of speaker
    Randy/Maine
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,550
    Adcom 5802 is not common ground. So one must take that into consideration.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,752
    edited March 2019
    If you are using the newer replacement woofers, make sure the cutout of the rubber-like surround around the screw holes is not pulled away from the frame.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    The end caps should be stapled on from the inside like the 1C's, so rule that out as a possible air leak.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,752
    F1nut wrote: »
    The end caps should be stapled on from the inside like the 1C's,.

Ahh, I wasn't aware those caps were stapled...I stand corrected.
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117

Yep, good point. Mine are later pin/blade versions (now Speak-On) (S/N 15711L/15677R) and have an 800VA dreadnought between them so I forget about that restriction sometimes. Can't use that amp set-up on the earlier blade/blade IC versions.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,550
    RobbyKY wrote: »

Yep, good point. Mine are later pin/blade versions (now Speak-On) (S/N 15711L/15677R) and have an 800VA dreadnought between them so I forget about that restriction sometimes. Can't use that amp set-up on the earlier blade/blade IC versions.

Well you're good then
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    K_M wrote: »
    If I say the sky is blue you will all chime in and say it is green.

Actually the sky IS green. Our eyes just perceive it as blue.

F1nut wrote: »
    Looking at your list of power choices I can see why you have bottomed out the drivers.

I've owned both the 1.0t and the 1.5t (same thing as the PM1.5) driving SDA 2B's, 1C's and 2.3's into extreme volumes just below clipping with no bottoming out. They played beautifully. Something else is going on here. One thing I suspect is people are plugging these amps into the backs of pre/AVR/receivers with often times a 500w limit. Since these amps ARE high current but don't store power in large power caps like others rather they draw needed power from the wall outlet as needed.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    My comment you quoted was not directed at the OP's choice of power.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2019
    Ah. I stand corrected. Actually how can you tell WHAT her choice of power is? There is a huge list of stuff that is gone... We should make it a rule that your sig includes only current stuff not crap you've had like since high school. Just saying. Don't ban me...
    Post edited by audioluvr on
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus