Questions on water softeners

Options
We have a softener loop in our garage, and recent calcium problems with our pool has me thinking about getting a softener.

Has newer technology made softeners better? Easier to use? Any suggestions for a whole home softener?
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Well, they still use mixed bed ion exchange resins (i.e., anion exchanger and cation exchanger, mixed together in the tank), and still get regenerated with NaCl brine) :)

They are smarter in the sense that they actually keep track of how much water's gone through them (i.e., how much of their ion exchange capacity has actually been used up) before regenerating themselves.

The one we have in this house is pretty plain vanilla; seems to work OK, though.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Salt water pool? Pretty common problem, I know my uncle had an issue with that in his pool in Chandler some years ago. I wasn't around when he corrected it. He's dead now. Call your pool guy, I'm sure there's a fix, it's pretty common. You have a beautiful pool!!!!

EDIT: I re-read, you want to soften your house water. Plenty of methods, you got the loop ready, go for it! Mark has a good solution!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I think you will give out feeding the thing enough salt to fill a pool
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    ohiopurewater.com I bought the traditional old school timer model from them bout 5 yrs. back. It does an excellent job and I've had zero issues with mine. It does regenerate on demand as needed. Had an older Culligan that could've been repaired but wasn't worth it due to the digital circuit board. Ohio has over the phone tech support and was very helpful on installation.

They also carry all replacement parts needed. I think mine is a 48k grain model, $560 delivered. Great company to work with!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I think you will give out feeding the thing enough salt to fill a pool

No intention of using it to refill the pool, but the absent calcium on the auto-fill will slowly decrease my pools CH levels.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »
    ohiopurewater.com I bought the traditional old school timer model from them bout 5 yrs. back. It does an excellent job and I've had zero issues with mine. It does regenerate on demand as needed. Had an older Culligan that could've been repaired but wasn't worth it due to the digital circuit board. Ohio has over the phone tech support and was very helpful on installation.

They also carry all replacement parts needed. I think mine is a 48k grain model, $560 delivered. Great company to work with!

Is it a Fleck softener system by chance?
  • steveinaz
    Options
    I'm looking for something dependable and repairable. I'm a DIY guy and want to maintain it myself. I like SIMPLE and functional.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Are you on well water or city water Steve ?

Calcium problems are usually just a trait of salt water pools. Happens slowly over time. If your getting those white deposits on the pool tile, sometimes just a stiff brush can remove them.

Not sure there's a better system than a reverse osmosis system for the whole house. Filters would need to be changed regularly and may be somewhat costly though. Most have a service to do it for you though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • charley95
    Options
    Yes it is a Fleck. I wanted simple and repairable too. Ya get into the fancy digital stuff it gets too complicated and expensive. Tech told me the timer design has been around since 79. Great dealing with Ohio. Nice to just pick up phone and talk with a live person in case of an issue.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Steve let me talk to my pops. He's maintained his pool quite well for the last 8 years in Mesa and we have HARD water.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2019
    Options
    City water Tony. Our fill water is about 160ppm calcium hardness which is moderate to hard water. In pools, calcium is accumulative and with our extremely dry conditions, water evaporation has the auto-fill on the pool constantly refreshing with more calcium. Minerals don't evaporate and become concentrated over time. A water softener would allow me to "top-off" the pool with 0ppm Calcium water, to stretch out the regularity of doing partial drains on the pool to reduce TDS.
  • steveinaz
    Options
    Ok, I'm hearing both sides of the fence on this "you shouldn't drink softened water" issue and suspect it's mostly myth...as it seems the sodium levels would be extremely low in the water. What do you guys think? I'd rather not stack on a Reverse Osmosis unit, if all this 'don't drink it" hysteria is just the "hell no I'm not drinking out of a garden hose" crowd.
  • steveinaz
    Options
    Steve let me talk to my pops. He's maintained his pool quite well for the last 8 years in Mesa and we have HARD water.

A lot of Arizonans just live with high calcium content by running higher pH, or some other balancing act of chemistry. This can work, but isn't ideal. Now, if you have a fiberglass or vinyl liner pool, calcium plays no role. But gunnite/plaster pools can degrade seriously under constantly high calcium concentrations.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Ok, I'm hearing both sides of the fence on this "you shouldn't drink softened water" issue and suspect it's mostly myth...as it seems the sodium levels would be extremely low in the water. What do you guys think? I'd rather not stack on a Reverse Osmosis unit, if all this 'don't drink it" hysteria is just the "hell no I'm not drinking out of a garden hose" crowd.

Plenty of folks have them for home drinking use for decades. If it was hazardous they'd been taken off the market years ago.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Isn't city water pretty expensive in AZ Steve?
    :D
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to use bottled water?

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    problem with RO is the GPH produced is low until you go to a BIG RO system. A local water guy can give you the best advice on how to lower your Ca/ TDS. Even houshold RO's can leave you with 50ppm tds.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Here in Indiana we have horrible rural water full of metals.

Our pool is not salt water and does not have the top off feature.

I top mine off from an outside hose that is not in the loop of our softener.

I installed a whole house filter system from HD, mounted it outside. Every year at opening I have to top it off and the filters seem to catch most particles. It's not the best but I have seen reductions in particle contaminates.

Cost was about 60 bucks and I go thru 2 filters a season.

This may not even be an option due to your water evap rate in that climate.

FWIW, softener works fine for us on everything else. I chose not to have the softener deliver water outside as I water my garden.

Hope you get a solution as you have an awesome looking back yard!!!
  • steveinaz
    Options

Our water bill is pretty cheap actually, usually about $28 month.
  • Mikey081057
    Options

Our water bill is pretty cheap actually, usually about $28 month.

OK you can shower now.... :D

• mhardy6647
    Options

Drinking softened water is fine -- the actual concentration of sodium being exchanged for calcium is low, even though two Na+ ions are exchanged for every Ca++ ion.

The solubility of calcium (in the form of Ca++ salts) in water near neutral pH is very low -- which is why it's a problem in the first place! Calcium (i.e., calcium salt) is much more water soluble at acid pH, which is why, at one point when saccharin was still a commonly used artificial sweetener in diet sodas, the calcium salt of saccharin was used instead of the sodium salt -- to make a 'low sodium' diet soda!. Calcium phosphate, in Diet Coke, is fairly soluble! :p

sfa3rc6n149o.png
  • afterburnt
    Options

It is high in sodium not low the softeners I know exchange sodium for scale formers in the water.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Plenty of folks have them for home drinking use for decades. If it was hazardous they'd been taken off the market years ago.

Hell they put flouride in yhe eater and thats poison
  • tonyb
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Yeah, riiight….they also told those people in Detroit the water was safe. Didn't work out too well for them did it.

Most cities have to do a yearly analysis of the drinking water of which you can obtain those results from them. Most city treated water has loads of fluoride, chlorine, estrogen, and certain pharmaceuticals, along with trace amounts of arsenic that's naturally occurring but still not great for you. Not to mention god knows what chemicals they add to it.

If you guys could see the inside of a water main pipe, you might think twice. Calcified minerals line those pipes over time. If the crap in the water will calcify in an iron pipe, it might also do some damage to your innards too...over time.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Steve,

If your on city water and it's hard, you need a softner, period. Hard water isn't good for copper piping inside your house either. Plenty of options, from cheap to expensive, but they all basically do the same thing.

As others suggested, stay away from the digital kind, as when they break it isn't worth fixing. A whole house filtration system is probably the best, but also the most costly because there are filters to change.

As a side note, personally I don't care to drink water from the faucet, treated or softened. I just drink Fiji water in the bottle.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    Options
    Well, I've hit a different barrier. I have a complex watering situation for the yard plants and Bev's garden. I realize there is a by-pass on the softener, but with the numerous programmed times/etc...well....I don't think it'll work. Bev's NOT going to agree to hand watering everything again, and I agree.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    FWIW: Our hose bibbs are, umm, upstream of the softener at our house. That's pretty standard practice when softener systems are installed.
  • charley95
    Options
    That's too bad it won't work for ya unless you find another way somehow. I love having soft water. Ya really notice the difference when your away from home without it.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2019
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    FWIW: Our hose bibbs are, umm, upstream of the softener at our house. That's pretty standard practice when softener systems are installed.

That would be awesome, but I don't know how I would figure that out?

I just emailed the builder's customer service contact; the house was built in 2009, but we're not the original owners. We'll see what the response is concerning outdoor hose bibs. The house did come with the softener loop/drain pre-plumbed in the garage.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    We had a Hague watermax whole house system and RO for the drinking water in our last house. Seemed fine, but did notice faucets there leaked and had deteriorated seals often.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant