Centre speaker help

jd79
jd79 Posts: 1
hi all, I'm running a pair of Tsx550t and an old Yamaha centre speaker and want to upgrade. Just wondering if I should stick to the tax series or could I go for the csi a6 or ...?? any thoughts would be appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    jd79 wrote: »
    Just wondering if I should stick to the tax series or could I go for the csi a6 or ...?? any thoughts would be appreciated, cheers.

It's usually best to stay timbre matched within a series...…...but right now I'm running an LSiM center with RTiA speakers and everyone is playing together just fine.

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I run a CSi-A6 with Signatures plays fine. I am also using a modern AVR with Audyssey calibration which EQ it in well.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Pinktulip7
    Pinktulip7 Posts: 249
    I just upgrade from Csi A6 to LsiM 706c,huge upgrade, noticeable difference in Sound quality!!Timbre match is not necessary...
    TV :>Panasonic TC-P55VT50
    RECEIVER :> HARMAN KARDON AVR 7300
    FRONT :> L & R :> POLK RTI A9 500 W
    AMP :1> PARASOUND HALO A21 250 W
    AMP :2> EMOTIVA UPA-1 200 W
    CENTER :> POLK LSiM 706c 250 W
    SURROUND SIDE :> POLK RTi A3 150 W
    SURROUND REAR :>POLK FXI A6 150 W
    DVD PLAYER(HD) :>TOSHIBA HD X-A2
    DVD PLAYER(BLU-RAY) :>Panasonic DMP-UB900
    POWER CONDITIONER :> PANAMAX M5400-EX
    SUBWOOFER :A> SVS SB16-Ultra 1500 W Front
    SUBWOOFER :B> SVS SB16-Ultra 1500 W Rear
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I am a little surprised to see that folks are happily mixing the LSiM and RTiA series, but I am not surprised to see the rest of Polk mix and match, like the RTiA and signature. I am even using a Polk center with non Polk speakers, and it doesn’t bother me at all. I would say get the CSiA for sure, much better center.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Geoff4rfc
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I am a little surprised to see that folks are happily mixing the LSiM and RTiA series

Be surprised not my off balanced polkness, but embrace the madness that is aloof and be glad for the happiness!!! :smiley:

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I had a CSiA6 with various main speakers none of them in that series and I thought it sounded great for movies. In my limited personal experience, I don't think that timber matching is that important for movies. And believe me, I am quite limited. Multi-channel music may be a different story but I am not so much into fiction.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    The Polks all have the same basic sonic signature, so mixing and matching between series usually isn’t a problem. I have a pair of SDA SRS 3.1TL’s with a CS1000p Center. A pair of Monitor 5jr’s for surround duty and an RT-35i for back surround. I’m also using a pair of mini monitors for height duty. All from different series and generations, but working towards the same seemless surround sound goal (especially when the THX processing is engaged)
  • Derm
    Derm Posts: 95
    A little late to this discussion but I will add another plug for the CsiA6 for centre use.
    I am using mine now with a pair of Lsim707's as front mains & 703's for front presence and the A6 is doing just fine.
    I do want to eventually get the LsiM706c when I can get my hands on one but I am in no rush due to the performance of the A6 so far.
    Speakers
    Front - LsiM707, Front presence - LsiM703, Future ATMOS - VS 700LS
    Center - LsiM706c, Rear surrounds - 80 F/X LS, VS 900LS. Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE
    Main HT - LG 4K 75”, Sony UBXP800M2
    Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector, Spare room HT LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-671
    Office - Pioneer X-CM56, Bose iPod dock
    In Storage - 4 - RTiA9, RtiA3, CSiA6, FXiA4, Blackstone TL1

The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2019
    Derm wrote: »
    I am using mine now with a pair of Lsim707's as front mains & 703's for front presence .

Wow, if you've got A9's and 707's up front together, that's got to sound pretty bad A$$!!!

That's what I see in your signature anyway, has it changed??

• Derm
    Derm Posts: 95
    edited March 2019
    I don’t have the A9’s hooked up at the moment. Just the 707’s, 703’s and A6 plus the 2 subs. No rear channels either.
    I have everything in a temporary location to the side of a sitting room. The basement is unfinished in my new home so once done I plan to get more amp’s to power them up and use the 707’s and the NAD for a 2 channel.

Those 703’s sitting on the A9’s will get dedicated stands once in a permanent location.

8erbwd7mdy1o.jpeg
    Speakers
    Front - LsiM707, Front presence - LsiM703, Future ATMOS - VS 700LS
    Center - LsiM706c, Rear surrounds - 80 F/X LS, VS 900LS. Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE
    Main HT - LG 4K 75”, Sony UBXP800M2
    Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector, Spare room HT LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-671
    Office - Pioneer X-CM56, Bose iPod dock
    In Storage - 4 - RTiA9, RtiA3, CSiA6, FXiA4, Blackstone TL1

The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
  • Geoff4rfc
    Derm wrote: »

Those 703’s sitting on the A9’s will get dedicated stands once in a permanent location.

8erbwd7mdy1o.jpeg

Have you ever employed the "wide" channel? I have used two different bookshelves but when I went with a tower, my world changed.

On set up, I had the mains toed in and the wides pointing straight...….what an incredible sound.

Anxious to see your arrangement once it's completed.