Recapping LS70, Tweeter resistor value question

Guys, The schematic call for a 1.5 Ohm resistor, I was wondering if a 1.7 Ohm would make any noticeable change?

Planning to use mills and Mundorf supremes... any other thoughts?

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    IIRC, they were 10% units stock, a 1.7 is just out of spec (but very close). At low values like that, even small variations can be very noticeable.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    Prolly make the tweeter noticeably quieter.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    You could measure the original (out of the circuit) to see what it is. With a +/- 10% tolerance it could easily be 1.7 ohm.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Cool! looking forward to finishing this up. The guy ar Sonic craft recommended the supremes, twice as expensive as the sonicaps but it's just one cap per speaker I'll give them a try!
  • F1nut

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    cortico wrote: »
    Cool! looking forward to finishing this up. The guy ar Sonic craft recommended the supremes, twice as expensive as the sonicaps but it's just one cap per speaker I'll give them a try!

You may find the Mundorf a bit tipped up on the top end, I do.

Reading between the lines even says so.
    Its subtle fine gradation of the high tone range invigorates the entire sound production

President of Club Polk

• cortico
    edited March 2019
    F1nut wrote: »
    cortico wrote: »

You may find the Mundorf a bit tipped up on the top end, I do.

Reading between the lines even says so.
    Its subtle fine gradation of the high tone range invigorates the entire sound production

Thanks for advising! Going 1.7 in lieu of 1.5 was intentional, I remember a tiny diference in value mellowed the sound when i replaced the polyswitch with a resistor on a sda crs.

The supremes were recommended as a good option for my goal, but I have no experience. I am looking for a laidback warmer tone that compliments the Parasound sound, treble can be slightly rolled off.

I noticed that the sonicaps have a long burn in time until they’re actually very nice in the beginning they are a bit bright, I think.

The clarity caps are pleasant with vintage Marantz. I am not sure how they will stand with the gear I am listening now...
  • F1nut
    Ok, you seem to be contradicting yourself. On one hand you're saying the top too is rolled off and on the other hand you want laidback and warm, even bumping up the resistor to mellow the top.

FYI, Mundorf caps take at least 300 hours to cook.

President of Club Polk

• cortico
    Sorry, I meant that I like the top end slightly rolled off.
  • F1nut
    Ok, gotcha. I really don't think Mundorf is the cap for you. I look forward to your impressions.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Dayton caps are what you need.
  • F1nut
    Dayton, the same as Bennic are not "warm" sounding caps.

President of Club Polk

• cortico
    Understood, I don’t want to deviate much from the current sound I’m getting. Sonicap or Clarity are smooth and more familiar to me.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    F1nut wrote: »
    Dayton, the same as Bennic are not "warm" sounding caps.

It was just a joke, not meant to be serious advice.
  • F1nut
    Whew, that's good.

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Dayton Caps are used in many projects with great results.

One does not need to spend a lot to get a decent capacitor.
  • cortico
    edited April 2019
    Here we go!

I have received the part for the speakers, 1.5
    ohm mills resistor ( a no brainer), and found 6.8uf Clarity CSA caps on sale a 9 bucks each (another no brainer). Never used this line, but loved the ESA, the CSA are allegedly a notch up...

I also have two .22uf Jantzen Superior Z-caps leftovers from previous projects.... so a no-biased blind-test and the oscilloscope showed me that the dielectric material... ahhhh (no it did not!) :)

I was thinking, it's just .22uf (extra 2.24 %) why don't I piggyback these two to see what happens?!

v1vwcbhcv9cu.jpg

• cortico
    edited April 2019
    Just finish this, went as per original specs. It only toke about 20 minutes.

10 minutes into the burning process, and changes are obvious! The overall sound is smoother, the CSA are great caps...

Regardless, It’s a big deal upgrading electrolytic to films alone, the mills resistors also add sweetness to the sound... love it!

4ji6bx64cvlh.jpeg
    i8rhl73b2pas.jpeg
    r3d0pu82fj0l.jpeg
    6i5adcpauyj3.jpeg
  • cortico
    edited April 2019
    A few hours of tuning have elapsed and Pretty psyched on this rig... not sure if is the Power amp, pre, speakers with new caps... but never had anything that sounded so good!!