Happy Birthday to the Compact Disc

Options
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
- Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
Cabling by Groneberg
Visuals
https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2019
    Options
    My first CD was Christine McVie's self-titled album, I bought in 1984. At that time, our audio club (U.S. Army in Germany) had mostly only classical music on CD, so there wasn't much choice yet for pop music. Still have that CD, and surprisingly it was engineered quite well.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    Wow, I share a birthday with the CD and Mickey Dolenz. :'(
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited March 2019
    Options
    One thing I remember about this was the digital formats marked on the CDs, they were either AAD, ADD, or DDD (mostly, the latter was only on classical for some reason).
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    My first CD was The Beatles Abbey Road. Japanese EMI release back in 1983. It was pulled from circulation quickly as it was done without authorization from Apple or the band. Today is is a rarity, and considered the best version available on CD.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    Ironically, I've purchased more CDs in the past four months than I have in the last two decades. I buy used and rip them.

decal wrote: »
    Wow, I share a birthday with the CD and Mickey Dolenz. :'(
    9ien9oty4d05.png

See what I did there? Those are Happy Birthday decals! Get it??? HBD!
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited March 2019
    Options
    My first CD was The Beatles Abbey Road. Japanese EMI release back in 1983. It was pulled from circulation quickly as it was done without authorization from Apple or the band. Today is is a rarity, and considered the best version available on CD.

Begs the questions -
    1. Do you still have it? ;) If YES, go to question #2 please
    2. Do you ever leave the house without setting the alarm? :D
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Talking Heads "Little Creatures" I believe. 1985, paid $289.00 for a Technics portable CD player at the PX...lol. Still have it!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    No, I don’t have it any more. I paid twenty bucks for it and sold it for 250... I wish I had it back, but there are so many fraud copies out there these days.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,755
    edited March 2019
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    My first CD was Christine McVie's self-titled album, I bought in 1984. At that time, our audio club (U.S. Army in Germany) had mostly only classical music on CD, so there wasn't much choice yet for pop music. Still have that CD, and surprisingly it was engineered quite well.

Curious to what audio/photo club that was, we went to Patch but lived off-base. Coincidentally I bought my first CD over there as well...Mr. Mister "Welcome to the real world" and Mike and the Mechanics, and that was to go with the new Sony rack system.... B) I also believe that was in 1985.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Mine was Dokken breaking the chains.... still have it.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2019
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    Curious to what audio/photo club that was, we went to Patch but lived off-base. Coincidentally I bought my first CD over there as well...Mr. Mister "Welcome to the real world" and Mike and the Mechanics, and that was to go with the new Sony rack system.... B) I also believe that was in 1985.

Yep Patch Barracks. From 1983-1989. Loved Stuttgart; tried to stay longer, but the SGM wasn't having it. (bastad) I was with the 578th Signal Co, 52nd Sig Bn.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    steveinaz wrote: »

Patch Barracks in Stuttgart? I was right down the road at Wharton barracks in Heilbron. I bought most of my music off the economy at a place called Musikkuss my first CD was Black Crowes-Shake Your Money Maker. Still have it and played it the other day. I still have the Technics CD player I bought at the PX.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It's a small world! The audio/photo club in the back of post, by the School and the Hook & bullet. (oh, sorry, Rod & Gun club)..LOL
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The actual compact disc was invented by a scientist that worked for Battelle Labs, based right here in Columbus, OH.

Mid 60's I believe it was.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Mine was Dokken breaking the chains.... still have it.

One of the first 3 I ever bought along with Autograph & Twisted Sister.

Still listen to Dokken, George can shred it....
  • gmcman
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Definitely a small world, I was a teenager then, we were there on civilian TDY from 83-87...I would love to take the family back over for a couple weeks, amazing area.
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Patch Barracks in Stuttgart? I was right down the road at Wharton barracks in Heilbron.

Yessir, we lived a short ways south of Patch, near Filderstadt...close to the airport. We went to school on Patch and walked pretty much daily to the Audio/photo club.

The guy with the Victorian baking oven in front of Foodland selling those loaded potatoes was the lure for lunch...lol.

Heilbron wasn't too far, especially ripping up A81.. B)

The good gear was at Robinson barracks, that's where I first saw the Carver and Yamaha amps and preamps.

We were given so many opportunities while we were there, Ski trips to St.Moritz for 4 days and 3 nights for less than $200..incl transportation. Field trip to Rome for a week....many, many others....will cherish those times forever.

• steveinaz
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Yep RB had a nice audio club as well. I think it was Ramstein, but I'm not sure, that had an Infinity Reference Standard setup. Talk about a tear running down your cheek. I believe the system was $47,000 (1980's dollars) IIRC. They were huge and gorgeous.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I don't recall what my first CD was...all I cared about was finally being able to dump all those 8-tracks, and all the room in the car they took up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Bought a lot of gear at Robinson Barracks, the equipment that you would see in the barrack and housing was crazy everyone had nice 2 channel rigs. I still got some of the stuff I bought at Robindon Barracks. I also drank a lot of Stuttgarter hofbraus, and chased a lot of frauleins B) Good times for sure lots of good concerts over there also.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gmcman
    Options
    Sorry stretch...kinda turned this into a CD Bday/EUCOM reunion thread....my apologies.

I did buy my first CD there, also drove a car for the 1st time in that same long oval parking lot...as well as my first beer was Stuttgarter Hofbrau...lol, just not in the car.

Don't remember the name of the beer and wine store, but I do remember the 25 bottle cases, I believe my parents favored the S Hofbrau and ..Binding beer?

Totally different attitude over there, CPS didn't take you away if you took a sip of beer, I never threw back bottles of beer, but was able to share a beer with my folks, even at a restaurant....at 16 you can drink with an adult.

Funny you mention "RB"...Robinson always being referred that way, the PX was huge, I always waited in the audio club for them to shop.

What a throwback, been thinking about this for the most of the day...best 4 years of my life aside of current family time.

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I don't recall what my first CD was...all I cared about was finally being able to dump all those 8-tracks, and all the room in the car they took up.

I don't remember my first CD either. But I do know I would record them all on cassettes to play them in my car. I put off buying a car CD players for years. Didn't want my valuable CDs cooking in the sun.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    Columbia House Music Club was my first place I bought my first CDs from. Wow, 40 years ago. :o:s

Buy 10 for a penny, get the 11th for like 1.00 and the 12th for 2.00.

With 8 more to buy in 2 years. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I went to college in January 84, gave my turntable/records to my girl friend, and kept my receiver, cassette deck, and speakers. In 88/89 I bought a CD player, and have been into digital music since then. However, now if there is a High-Res download I will buy that instead of the CD.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    I didn't buy a CDP until around 1990. I purchased a Denon Carousel player and I was sure proud of that thing.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited March 2019
    Options
    First CD was Heart then Frankie Goes to Hollywood. 2000+ CD's later I tossed all the jewel cases and put the in 200 CD cases. I did keep the collections in the jewel case.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,036
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I was a very late adopter, because I went to Soundscape when the first generation CD players came out and listened to some. They were awful sounding (partly the hardware, partly the early CDs, I think, in retrospect).

I decided to buy a Sony AM/FM/cassette/CD boombox for my lab when we had been temporarily (as it turned out) relocated to Norwood, MA (The Auto Mile!) ca. 1994. I went to Lechmere (pronounced, in the local patois, something along the lines of Leechmeah :) ) and bought the boombox and one CD -- Eagles Greatest Hits, Vol. 2. :p There was a Lechmere store just a few blocks from us on The Auto Mile (route 1) :)

The second CD I bought was the live, acoustic James Taylor two-CD set (not that I remember what it's called... I could go look). The latter was very appropriate, of course, for a Massachusetts analytical biochemistry/biotech lab, as James was, and is, in essence a local boy. :)

I did leave that boombox to the folks remaining in my lab when I left that company in the spring of '95. For all I know, it could still be there (they do still occupy that Norwood site, AFAIK).

I eventually (a year or so later) bought a 5-CD Sony changer for our house (from Lechmere, of course) as a Christmas present. That player is still on line here and gets occasional use.

Mrs. H bought me a nice single-disc Marantz CDP when I got interested in tubes and horns (ca. '98 or '99) as a birthday present. Still have it, but it got persnickety about playing (especially) burned CDs (perhaps the laser, but maybe just the sled needs to be lubricated) so I shelved it a couple-three years ago. I like(d) the Marantz because it had an remote output level control that worked in the digital domain -- and I am nothing if not sofa king lazy. B) Mrs. H got the Marantz CDP at a Cambridge SoundWorks store at one of the local malls (CSW was a pretty big thing in those days).

I should re-hab the Marantz some time, come to think of it.

tj1opfw8ekju.png

• steveinaz
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I bought one of the first Sony CDP's, and that sucker was only a 14bit player. Back in the mid 80's, the Yamaha 18 bit and Technics 1 bit "MASH" players were pretty darn smooth.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    I bought my first cd player in 1990 Rotel RCD-855, my first cd was something by Elton John.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2019
    Options
    My first was a Sony CDP 200.

• honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    My very first CD💿 was a Telarc release called Time Warp. It had a warning on it that said it contained some of the most powerful material ever released commercially. So of course I HAD TO HAVE IT My first CD player was an ADC that was getting rave reviews for an inexpensive player that the masses could afford. This was all circa 1986.