David Bowie Says the Lord's Prayer for Freddie Mercury, et al.

This is perhaps the most moving and surprising moment I've ever seen in a concert video. I had no idea he offered this up. Only someone with Bowie's street cred could've ever gotten away with it. Amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcb47l088II&list=PL598E5638FC92B022&index=8
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
- Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
Cabling by Groneberg
Visuals
https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto

Comments

• stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    stretchl wrote: »
    This is perhaps the most moving and surprising moment I've ever seen in a concert video. I had no idea he offered this up. Only someone with Bowie's street cred could've ever gotten away with it. Amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcb47l088II&list=PL598E5638FC92B022&index=8
    Lets have David Bowie walk through Compton, Gary or Chicago's South Side without a phalanx of armed security and see how much "street cred" he has.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2019
    ^^he can't, he is dead.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • nooshinjohn
    Dang… that took less time than I thought. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited March 2019
    @nooshinjohn What kind of comment is that, especially in response to such an act of reverence?

Are you dissing Bowie? Mercury? The HIV/AIDS victims Bowie is lifting up in prayer? People who live in the communities you cite but that you've doubtless never been to? Me? God? All of the above? (Rhetorical question, no need to answer, see below...)

As valuable as your posts are once in a while, you sure have a chip on your shoulder. I'm so very, very thankful not to have to go through life in that way.

And some here wonder why people regularly show up on this forum only to decide very quickly it's not worth the putting up with the crapola. I'm honestly surprised Polk doesn't shut the whole thing down. Maybe the recent mod thing is a sign they're losing patience.

Welcome back to my ignore list. An exclusive club, but well deserved for the few who qualify.

Peace -
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2019
    I am saying that Bowie is not someone that would carry "street cred" as you put it. I do have a ton of respect for his musical legacy, but it is not something I would equate to the "Hip-Hop" term you used. I was making a joke based upon that alone.

How you managed to take it all the way out there to the level you did is beyond me. I have been to all the places I cited, and they are places where one is best advised to keep a clear lane in front of you, the windows up, doors locked and stop for nothing.

I have a deep faith in God, and I trust that He has a sense of humor, which you appear to lack. I will pray for you that you find one soon. So much pent up aggression needs some sort of release, or all sorts of issues can pop up health wise.

I have nothing against you personally, except you can"t take a joke. :p

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    6bl5tb3xtg1x.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Sith_Lord
    Sith_Lord Posts: 17
    @ Stretchl> I think it was quite CLEAR that some of the comments made were intended to be taken in jest, and certainly nothing rising to the level you have made them out to be. NJ can be a weak minded fool at times, but the force is with him on this matter.
    I am saying that Bowie is not someone that would carry "street cred" as you put it. I do have a ton of respect for his musical legacy, but it is not something I would equate to the "Hip-Hop" term you used. I was making a joke based upon that alone.

How you managed to take it all the way out there to the level you did is beyond me. I have been to all the places I cited, and they are places where one is best advised to keep a clear lane in front of you, the windows up, doors locked and stop for nothing.

I have a deep faith in God, and I trust that He has a sense of humor, which you appear to lack. I will pray for you that you find one soon. So much pent up aggression needs some sort of release, or all sorts of issues can pop up health wise.

I have nothing against you personally, except you can"t take a joke. :p

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    stretchl wrote: »
    @nooshinjohn What kind of comment is that, especially in response to such an act of reverence?

Are you dissing Bowie? Mercury? The HIV/AIDS victims Bowie is lifting up in prayer? People who live in the communities you cite but that you've doubtless never been to? Me? God? All of the above? (Rhetorical question, no need to answer, see below...)

As valuable as your posts are once in a while, you sure have a chip on your shoulder. I'm so very, very thankful not to have to go through life in that way.

And some here wonder why people regularly show up on this forum only to decide very quickly it's not worth the putting up with the crapola. I'm honestly surprised Polk doesn't shut the whole thing down. Maybe the recent mod thing is a sign they're losing patience.

Welcome back to my ignore list. An exclusive club, but well deserved for the few who qualify.

Peace -

Better check that attitude at the door.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited March 2019
    I will simply say that I applaud Bowie for doing what he did at the Mercury Tribute Concert. I saw it live when it was on, but it's been so long I didn't remember that part. Thanks for posting it @stretchl.

As for butting heads. After viewing the Bowie portion of the posted video, it seems sort of wasted, doesn't it?
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • imsjry
    imsjry Posts: 120
    This is beautiful. Thank you for posting. His verse in "Under Pressure" (w Freddie) kills me every time!