8' Bi-Wire speaker cables w/ bananas

Options
2»

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    Anyone have any thoughts on Tributaries cables?

https://www.tributariescable.com/products/8BW-B

8BW-B_01.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    edited February 2019
    Options
    ^those bananas SUCK! I’ve got some here I will never use again. They are a PITA to use and are just plain UGLY.

I prefer monster quick disconnects over those
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Kimber Kable 8VS or 8TC....

It go big w the 12VS/12TC.

Can be biwired

Why the heck does the cable look so nice, but those bananas that they use look so cheap and dinky?

kk12vs_ban-LARGE.jpg

The bananas are actually quite nice. I own them and love them. @steveinaz also runs them.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Clipdat
    Options
    ^those bananas SUCK! I’ve got some here I will never use again. They are a PITA to use and are just plain UGLY.

What specifically don't you like about them?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    I concur with @EndersShadow. I've had sets of those type and they suck. Problem is you almost need two hands to work them and in most cases you have a very hard time getting two hands behind your speakers. My problem was the barrel was smooth as silk outside of the binding post, but once you insert them the barrel never turned as smoothly and it was very hard to get a good connection without using another hand to hold the back part so you can turn the barrel to tighten. THEN once you got a good lockup one day you'll want to remove them and that is where the fun begins ALL OVER.
    Give me a good spring banana any day

The one thing i never liked about the Kimber cable is those type of folded metal bananas i was never too crazy about. Then there's the whole nickel plated thing. Kimber makes good cable I'd just buy in bulk and put my own termination on them problem solved.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I see what you mean now. So it's the locking mechanism that sounds like it's the issue.
  • EndersShadow
    edited February 2019
    Options

What specifically don't you like about them?

Sometimes the locking part gets jammed, they look ugly as sin and you HAVE to use the locking part or they fall out. They are also super heavy because of all the metal.

The Kimbers & Monster Quick Disconnects all slide in easy and provide more than enough tension to ensure they never fall out. Obviously the Kimbers are a step above the Monsters, but honestly I'd take the Monsters over those Locking banana's (and I did).
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Sometimes the locking part gets jammed, they look ugly as sin and you HAVE to use the locking part or they fall out. They are also super heavy because of all the metal.

The Kimbers & Monster Quick Disconnects all slide in easy and provide more than enough tension to ensure they never fall out. Obviously the Kimbers are a step above the Monsters, but honestly I'd take the Monsters over those Locking banana's (and I did).

Thanks. Appreciate the insight, as all that was not obvious just from looking at a photo of them.

Any thoughts on this style banana? https://silversonic.com/products/connectors/z-plugs/
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    Any thoughts on this style banana? https://silversonic.com/products/connectors/z-plugs/
    That style looks very similar to what came with Belkin PureAV cables. Not too loose, not too tight.

fie2qk33jowf.jpg
    aoo64az586bo.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options

Thanks. Appreciate the insight, as all that was not obvious just from looking at a photo of them.

Just another BFA style of banana. They can grip very well but they are also very easy to fold in half. If i was to use the BFA style again I'd go to the furez that Doug sells. The polymer insert doesn't help much in the fact that they can bend very easy but it does help keep the thin metal from keeping its compressed form of the binding post.

There's a plethora of bananas out there. They all have their own pluses and minuses. You can over analyze all of them in the end what I prefer you may dislike and vice versa. I find myself coming back to the spring type like these over and over again. hd1pa85b31mb.jpg
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Zu uses the spring type, I like them.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Can you terminate Kimber yourself? Yes.

Should you? Not without a bottle good scotch!
  • Clipdat
    edited February 2019
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    There's a plethora of bananas out there. They all have their own pluses and minuses. You can over analyze all of them in the end what I prefer you may dislike and vice versa. I find myself coming back to the spring type like these over and over again.

Looks like they offer the spring type as well: https://silversonic.com/products/connectors/b-1c-banana-plug/
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Anyone have any thoughts on Tributaries cables?

https://www.tributariescable.com/products/8BW-B

8BW-B_01.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

They are wearing pants, that's always a plus.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Wireworld Eclipse.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Wireworld Eclipse.

No thanks.