College Athletics Rant

Options
So I saw where the first woman was offered a "non kicker" football scholorship (sorry kickers!)...so good for her. But then I started thinking about the hypocrisy of major college athletics and how football and basketball all revolve under the guise of competirion and building better human beings...when it all comes down to the almighty dollar. Look at Kentucky basketball...most of those kids dont stick around for four years, and ever earn a degree. You see kids recruited from Sweeden or Eqypt who never would have attended a school like Kansas until the university went out and found that kid. I dunno....people who say ' I only follow college football because ....' are only kidding themselves. The NCAA has just done a better job of masking the hypocrisy than the NFL....which, if you think about it....the NFL doesnt pretend to be doing anything else than selling pro football to fans. Lastly...you have kids in other sports such as swimming which, if lucky, get a 1/3 of a scholorship and work just as hard as the "headcount sport" athletes...but back to that almighty dollar I suppose. I say all of this as Im on day 4 of a big swim meet in Knoxville....waiting for Sunday night finals. End of rant. 🖖

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I hear ya man, but lets face it....swimming isn't bringing in the revenue that basketball or football does for colleges. Almighty dollar wins every time bro.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    Options
    Here's some fun facts, that'll make you scream:
    William Bryce stadium, in Columbia SC, host's the University of S.C. 'Gamecocks'
    It seats 80,000 people, which is twenty thousand more than the New England Patriot's Gillette stadium.
    AND, this team has NEVER WON a national, conference or EVEN A DIVISIONAL championship!
    On top of that, they go to BOWL GAMES WITH A LOSING RECORD?!
    You wouldn't believe how much $ is WASTED in college sports.

r7maqju07pf7.jpg

I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    I will say....Tennessee has one of the better facilities I have been to
    ba80hsfte064.jpeg
    lbz75sf5dzoo.jpeg
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    You think the almighty dollar is bad at D1 school sports, you should see how the "academics" are run. The kids who want a good education can certainly get it, and many do. But in a revenue sport (mostly football/basketball) the expectations of kids being pushed through is ridiculous. If you talk to students who played non-revenue sports, most of them will have stories about some of the football and basketball guys. I know where I went to school there was at least one non-starting defensive football player who was legally illiterate, yet was still somehow in his 3rd year of being eligible to play. You don't hear about that on ESPN.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    Options
    Just this past week Nebraska announced it was now free of any outstanding payments to any coaches. They mailed Bo Pelini his last monthly check of $128,009. He received a total of $6.54 million from NU. Mike Riley was paid off in a lump sum of $6,253,393 in Dec. 2017. The former athletic director Shawn Eichorst was let go and he was paid $762,439.

I think all the huge TV and cable contracts (money) have destroyed any remnants of so-called "amateur" athletics especially in the top sports, football and basketball, even at mid-level colleges. This really started rolling back in the 1960's with more and more sports being broadcast.

Many prize "student-athletes" are still given unbelievable treatment, even with the NCAA watching.

There was lobbying by Tom Osborne 25 years ago to be able to pay players.

It's very sad IMO. But I'm still a Husker fan. :)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited March 2019
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    ba80hsfte064.jpeg
    lbz75sf5dzoo.jpeg
    Paid for with profit-sharing revenue from basketball and football, within the athletic department and donations from VIP alumni that want their name on a building.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • displayname
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    ba80hsfte064.jpeg
    lbz75sf5dzoo.jpeg
    Paid for with profit-sharing revenue from basketball and football, within the athletic department and donations from VIP alumni that want their name on a building.
    I don't know if this is the same at all schools, but I appreciated that our swim team's facility was part of the rec center that all students had access too. Same with our Tennis center. If you try getting on the football field as a regular student you'd probably have criminal trespassing charges.
    Discogs
  • tonyb
    Options
    You think the almighty dollar is bad at D1 school sports, you should see how the "academics" are run. The kids who want a good education can certainly get it, and many do. But in a revenue sport (mostly football/basketball) the expectations of kids being pushed through is ridiculous. If you talk to students who played non-revenue sports, most of them will have stories about some of the football and basketball guys. I know where I went to school there was at least one non-starting defensive football player who was legally illiterate, yet was still somehow in his 3rd year of being eligible to play. You don't hear about that on ESPN.

Nothing new there, it's been obvious for years. All one has to do is listen to some of these NFL players who can't string a sentence together or use proper English.

It's one of those things that gets by with a wink and a nod, while claiming to be doing the right things. Everyone knows it, but nobody cares, because the dollars are more important than the morality. That's the reality, not the rhetoric these schools spew.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    The tuition at the university of North Texas shot up 40% in a couple of years.
    They completed a lot of new athletic improvements at the same time.
    1+1=2. Welcome to most colleges where all athletic costs get passed along to students and parents. No controls at all. Add parking costs(no car and you still pay it)
    a bus pass (even if you don't ride it) and about a hundred or so more things.
    No wonder the new generation is upset about college costs.
    My guess is most of it goes online and the whole current college
    system collapses under it's own weight.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    Options
    Maybe the proper question to ask is....if student tuition is reflected in these sports upgrades, what benefits do the students get out of it ?

Just sayin'....because if all these sports programs bring in x amount of revenue, shouldn't tuition be....cheaper ? Or is all the benefits being grabbed by salaries/benefits of administration and coaches. Hmmm
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Look at the rate of increase of fully-loaded tuitions over time compared to inflation* :(
    Then, look at the endowments of the big private universities :(

Don't get me started...

* Oh, and may I add -- some folks will say almost no-one pays sticker price for those schools. Well, maybe almost no one... but I can vouch for two kids who did (albeit with considerable help from scholarships -- but no financial aid). :|
  • displayname
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Maybe the proper question to ask is....if student tuition is reflected in these sports upgrades, what benefits do the students get out of it ?

Just sayin'....because if all these sports programs bring in x amount of revenue, shouldn't tuition be....cheaper ? Or is all the benefits being grabbed by salaries/benefits of administration and coaches. Hmmm
    Unfortunately even if the athletic contributions went to just keeping tuition at a level rate, the cost of going to school still skyrockets with major sports programs. Big sports leads to higher football ticket prices, and higher enrollment. That creates a housing shortage, and the cost of living goes up. At some big football schools there isn't enough on campus housing to support even 10% of the student body. The cost of living goes up exponentially as you get closer to campus. The cost/sqft of living near campus can rival living downtown in a major city. This forces lower income students to live further off campus, generally work off campus, and require investment in a vehicle.
    Needless to say, I'm not a fan of the college athletic systems, particularly at D1 schools.
    Discogs