Snake!

0uj2sp6d5vry.jpg
My friend was cleaning his car in the garage a few minutes ago and found this waiting to greet him. Looks like a Rattlesnake but, appears to be a Bullsnake since we're in central Illinois. He was able to use a rake and get it into a box and release it. Boy, if that wouldn't get your heart rate going!

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Nope Rope! Danger Noodle!
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Eff that noise. I’d be out in a heartbeat
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Anyone here know what species this is?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    hide your kids, hide your wife!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    its a snake and thats all that matters!
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
  • charley95
    It's crazy this happened in the middle of winter here. Said he fired up his propane heater to warm the garage and went into his house for a minute and saw him next to the heater when he came out. Gotta wonder how long it's been there. He has an entry door into the house from garage. Just think if that thing would've slithered into his house.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    That one would cause me to move to a different state.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • oldrocker
    Back in the 70's, was about 8 or 9, always wanted to hang with my older brother and his friends.

Didn't have videos games back then so for fun you would just go outside and play.

One of the guys caught a snake, being the runt of the group it looked like an anaconda to me, was probably just a black snake or corn snake, I don't remember.

I do remember this ^&%$#@ guy thought it would be funny to sneak up behind me and put it across my shoulders, which he did. I freaked, ran and tried to get it off me.

Got bit a few times in the process.

Never much cared for them since.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    charley95 wrote: »

bull snake and very strange that it is out... It has not been that warm here wonder if it had been in there all along?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited March 2019
    Man that Bull Snake looks poisonous but I just read it's not, but it will lunge and bite us. That thing looks to be mimicking a rattlesnake or copperhead.

After moving to NC. I saw a few of these little guys next to the back of my house. They were small but hissed pretty loudly. I thought POISONOUS from looking at their heads. A year later after telling a neighbor they were back, he came over and picked one up and started petting it! :o:#:p

He said these guys ARE the HOG NOSED snakes and make great pets. He kept that thing for a very long time too. They're only 14" to 24" but I saw mostly little 12" or less guys, probably from a nest nearby. I haven't seen any in many, many years. We used to have a bunch of spring peepers every year that they fed on. I just saw some spring peepers last year here. They were everywhere, but I didn't see any Hog Nosed snakes thank God.
    j47zbcivjjz6.png

Eastern Hog-nosed Snake in North Carolina
    https://animalprosonline.com/asheville/hog-nosed-snake

The eastern hog-nosed snake, often referred to as the “puff adder” from its dramatic behavior, is a common snake found in North Carolina. They are often mistaken for venomous snakes. The largest threat this snake will cause, is the injury you may receive if you trip while running away. :D

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Hey David, got a good laugh to your post up to the part where you were bitten a few times. Yikes, man, what was that like?
    I disabled signatures.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    @oldrocker, I hope you got some measure of payback on the guy that did that. If
    not, do you know where he lives and if he's got a pool (see where I'm going here?)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    We have quite a few snakes here in SW FL... Mostly Black Racers which are totally harmless and will always go the other way unless you corner one and give it no other choice. It may bite but won't break skin. They are really fast and can startle you with their surprise fleeing. Birds go after them and I will normally walk one to safety if I see birds pecking at them... They are fast but many can't out run a lawnmower so it seems.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Bull snakes are good snakes. They eat mice and other snakes including rattle snakes. They don't make very good pets though. Pretty aggressive
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • charley95
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    charley95 wrote: »

bull snake and very strange that it is out... It has not been that warm here wonder if it had been in there all along?

I was thinking the same thing. Had to have been camping out in his garage for quite a while.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    I had a rabbit get stuck in my garage one spring, probably in similar fashion. Went in, got freaked out and hid. I didn't even know it was there until I saw the scratch and gnaw marks, trying to chew its way out. Surprisingly destructive. None of the walls were made of lettuce, either.

I ended up having to create a channel out of boards, and then then rustle the area near where it was hiding to force it to flee. I'm pretty sure it bolted, but who knows maybe I'm going to find a little rabbit skeleton with exes over its eyes someday, under a shelf or cabinet.
    I disabled signatures.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    I saw unbelievable damage one squirrel did in a vacant house after been locked inside. This critter chewed up the wood on virtually every window in a two-story house trying to get out. I know it was a squirrel because I found it deceased in the basement laying by a floor drain. Cause of death unknown. Dehydration maybe?
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    We live in a wooded area and i see garter, black, rat and other snakes all the time sunning in the fall, spring and summer. They keep the rodent population manageable and are harmless if you leave them alone. We had a family of ringneck snakes (they’re actually more like big worms) that I found in the laundry room. Kids handled them and became very comfortable doing so. I actually think they are fascinating creatures - but if that was a rattlesnake, which it certainly resembles, I would have had to compose myself and change my drawers after shooing it out of the garage.....
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    I hate friggin snakes. Every year there has to be at least one scurrying around the yard while I am using my riding mowing. Let's just say the mulching deck works well.
  • Mikey081057
    Mulching does work better than having it go flying out the chute...

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087

Speaking of badgers.

Only 90 million+ views, so y'll may have seen it. Rated R (for language).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg
  • oldrocker
    msg wrote: »
    Hey David, got a good laugh to your post up to the part where you were bitten a few times. Yikes, man, what was that like?

It was just awful, a neighbor saw what had happened, got me to stop running and quit pulling to get it to let go, he got it off of me. He took me to the Doc's with the snake in a bucket.

Dr. Kindell was our small town Doc and he was pissed over the whole thing.
    Thankfully it wasn't venomous so he just cleaned the bites and put on some band aids.

Been skittish of em ever since.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    How snakes should be dealt with:

1330806-IMG_9830.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    ^^^works well on the two legged variety as well...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • oldrocker
    polrbehr wrote: »
    @oldrocker, I hope you got some measure of payback on the guy that did that. If
    not, do you know where he lives and if he's got a pool (see where I'm going here?)

I could have got some as a few years back I did see this guy again as he was dropping off his grandson at the Dojo where me and my Daughter used to train, he brought up the whole thing but didn't appear to be making any jokes over it.

• Mikey081057
    I always wanted put a rubber snake in an office toilet with a piece of mono filament attached to the door so when it was opened it would come flying out of the toilet. Could you imagine not making it to the toilet in time?
    Today that would be grounds for dismissal for sure.

Holy S

Instead I settled for cutting the corners off of mayo packets and putting them underneath the rubber feet of the toilet seat. You sit down and you get franks and beans with mayo....only comes off with soap and water....