Used Plasma TV Opinion

Options
I havn't really research the TV market recently. I have a 2009 Samsung that I'm still very happy with. Would you consider a used 2011 50 inch Samsung Plasma for 2 bills or would rather pay retail for a UHDTV ? This would be an addition not a replacement. What do you think?
HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    I own a 50 inch plasma. I wouldn't buy another unless I needed a cheap TV in a pinch. It's weights a ton, is finicky to transport, gets hot, and sucks up power by comparison. The picture is fine, but so are LEDs. It has nothing inherently superior to modern TVs, except the price on used one.

If you do pick it up, bring a friend to move it. 50-65lbs is really awkward in a giant fragile sheet shape.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Plasmas got thinner, not sure how thick and heavy Samsung 50" plasmas were in 2011. I had a friend with a behemoth plasma that almost killed me and him carrying it when he moved, but I have one of the last Samsung 55" plasmas and its not that heavy. Picture is really good too. Do you think that guy will get 2 bills for that 2011 plasma? They don't seem to sell where I am. There are some pretty good deals out there right now on TV's but prices on sale kind of depends on what quality you want it seems. Check slickdeals website for examples of sales prices. Super Bowl period was a good time to buy, not sure about right now.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Plasmas got thinner, not sure how thick and heavy Samsung 50" plasmas were in 2011. I had a friend with a behemoth plasma that almost killed me and him carrying it when he moved, but I have one of the last Samsung 55" plasmas and its not that heavy. Picture is really good too. Do you think that guy will get 2 bills for that 2011 plasma? They don't seem to sell where I am. There are some pretty good deals out there right now on TV's but prices on sale kind of depends on what quality you want it seems. Check slickdeals website for examples of sales prices. Super Bowl period was a good time to buy, not sure about right now.

My first HDTV was a 36" Sony. Effing thing weighed like 300#. Give me a 70# plasma any day lol
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    My Panny plasma is not heavy, is thin and never gets hot. If it uses more electricity I really don't care because I love the movie quality picture.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »

My first HDTV was a 36" Sony. Effing thing weighed like 300#. Give me a 70# plasma any day lol
    You can keep that 70 pound plasma. I'll pay a couple extra bucks for a 30 pound LED of the same size.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    Options
    Go plasma. Period.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    My 9 year old Samsung plasma will not quit.

I still get compliments on how good the picture looks.

Just saying.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    We still use our 50” plasma purchased in 2006 in our bedroom. The panasonic was purchased at Costco and has worked perfect in every room since 2006. Impressive and great value. We purchased another panasonic plasma in 2011 for under 500.00 and it works great when the grandkids need a source. I still believe in plSma but the new Sony xbr is still nicer by far.