Audioquest cable help needed.

I just bought a used Audioquest Thunder AC cord and it appears to be hairy. The seller says it is exactly as he purchased new, he just pulled out of box plugged in and used for 100 hours before selling to me. The hairs or fibers are very fine and black. Any idea if these normal? Seems odd.7ncy6q7b6ctn.jpg
hsjl35nf7f1w.jpg
be8599o6fjrx.jpg
mltit1qol4ux.jpg

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Begs to question....if you bought this cable from Russ. Would explain the pubic hair look to it.

Otherwise I have no idea, that's the first time I ever saw a cable look like that. My first guess is, that's an aftermarket sheathing and not original. Could be wrong, but never have I seen an AQ cable look like that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Looks like your typical braided jacket fraying that would happen from friction or moving the cable around.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Ewwwww
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    Thanks guys, glad I used Paypal goods and services. Back she goes.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    How was the performance of it?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    I'd try gel first. Maybe check out some audio mag centerfolds for a sense of what's trending right now, and style your cable jacket hair after one of those?

Some cables use plastic-y sheathing like Techflex, and others cloth. I like those cloth ones. Looks like you're zoomed way in for those photos? Is it noticeable from a distance?
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I dunno gents, my bet is on he got sold a fake cable. I would send those pics to AQ and see what they say.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Looks like the cord got pulled through an opening in his audio rack abrading the techflex.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Polkitup2
    edited February 2019
    At first I thought they might have had a cat that used the cable as a rubbing post, but the fibers were very fine and imbedded in the cable and the seller said he has no pets. I too now wonder if the cables are fake. They had all original box, packaging, inserts, case, covers, etc. I would think would be difficult to fake but those guys are pretty good.

The seller was happy to return them and had decent feedback on usaudiomart. He actually had not noticed the issue and was dismayed when I pointed it out as he has 2 others cables that have same issue. He said he was going to talk to place where he recently bought them new - from Todd the Vinyl Junkie. Not a listed authorized dealer.

Only new from Music Direct for me now.
  • Polkitup2
    edited February 2019
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Looks like the cord got pulled through an opening in his audio rack abrading the techflex.

There were definite abrasions as you described, but it was like everywhere. Almost like bad sheathing was used when the cable was constructed.

Anyhow, just shipped it back. I see PayPal has new feature for free return shipping. I activated and we will see if it works.

• Polkitup2
    Clipdat wrote: »
    How was the performance of it?

Never even plugged it in. It takes me at least a week or two to evaluate something and I wanted this to go back quickly. I suppose I could have determine if it worked at all.
  • Polkitup2
    msg wrote: »
    I'd try gel first. Maybe check out some audio mag centerfolds for a sense of what's trending right now, and style your cable jacket hair after one of those?

Some cables use plastic-y sheathing like Techflex, and others cloth. I like those cloth ones. Looks like you're zoomed way in for those photos? Is it noticeable from a distance?

It was noticed immediately with bare eyes when I pulled them out of box. I have many older AQ cables and they fray eventually given enough abuse, but nothing like this cable.

As a side note I also recently purchased a new AQ Monsoon AC cable from Music Direct. This cable has a more of a Techflex type sheathing than the cloth AQ sheathing. Seems more durable than the cloth AQ sheathing.
  • msg
    I understand. I was also wondering along the lines of what Tony mentioned, the possibility of counterfeiting. AQ warns of this on their site, but I'm not sure how one could be certain, given that counterfeiting doesn't necessarily mean completely fake. Can be "not authorized", or in worse cases, yes, substandard materials substituted.

I have some older AQ cables that have the cloth sheathing, but I don't recall any of them being frayed like this, either. I'll check the SCs when I get home. I know they're a little rough, but I don't recall them being this hairy, Harry. (I just made up that name. If your name happens to actually be Harry, then this is a great and fun coincidence)
    I disabled signatures.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Techflex isn't expensive. I can't see a counterfeiter using frayed or cheap techflex.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    We had a situation a few years ago with an electronic part failing in the field.

Teardown and failure analysis pointed to faulty multi-layer surface-mount chip (MLCC) capacitors. These were small 0603 components. Cross-sections showed fractured inner layers so back they went to TDK. Quick response came back - not ours these are counterfeit.

Turns out they were missing the inner nickel layer on the terminals. Sure enough we cross sectioned a different batch from another reel and the nickel layer show up in the SEM. Externally identical, same reel, same label, same QR code with all the proper manufacturing plant information, etc.

Moral of my story, if someone will counterfeit a $0.01 capacitor, high $$$ AQ cables are a prime target for this type of crap. Buyer beware!

BTW, none of my AQ cables look like that.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• msg
    These are some old AQ Slate speaker cables.
    I would not want to find these in a salad.

r8md6gn33bla.jpg

fu1kf5lpnhig.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Shoot, wait, sorry, that first one was meant for someone else. That was a close-up of a nosehair that sprouted overnight. Ignore that.

The bottom image. The bottom image is of the AQ cables.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Polkitup2
    That's pretty much like what my cable looked like. Did you also get yours to look like that by running them through Russ's trousers a few times?
  • msg
    They were like that when he delivered them, yes.
    He called it "Original Packaging".
    I vaguely recall him using the term as a verb?
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    How did you identify which end was the clean one?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Polkitup2
    Only one way....
  • msg
    edited March 2019
    The directional arrows!

I prob'ly got quoted before the adjustment. Maybe not. My original answer was too bad, even for a Russ post.
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    msg wrote: »
    They were like that when he delivered them, yes.
    He called it "Original Packaging".
    I vaguely recall him using the term as a verb?

Hey don't drag me into this! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.