Is anyone running an Aries Mini with an internal HD installed?

If so, how do you add files to the HD. I used to be able to copy and paste files to it when my Aries showed as a computer on my network. This ability disappeared from my PC's one by one.

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited February 2019
    Hey B

Just put your song onto a flash drive and plug it into the back of the mini to the left :)

then go into setting and look for a way to add/import song to the drive via USB... I will have to find the correct way to see where to click on Import from files (USB) for you later tonight...
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    ok just plug your USB flash drive in back of Mini...then fire it up...
    in the lightning app goto settings: then click on music library

then where it says currently available click on what ever is there...mine says Lightning Servr (living room)

then click on additional operations = then in the second box down...should say "Library Path Info" and HDD connected below that..

Click on HDD and the box will open more..about six lines down it should say "Import Music from USB Drive" click on that and it should start down-loading your music from the Flash Drive!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @voltz Darryl, I got one PC working right again but in case it quits again, will the thumb drive method let you select which folder the new Music goes to? I have my music in a bunch of different sub folders.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    edited February 2019
    I have 2 mini’s with 2differnt brand hd’s Installed and neither would be recognized after install. I gave up . I have a cxn v2 coming next week to see if it can replace the mini in quality of sound .
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Bob, presume you tried to initialize the disks through the app?
    I disabled signatures.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    I have 2 mini’s with 2differnt brand hd’s Installed and neither would be recognized after install. I gave up . I have a cxn v2 coming next week to see if it can replace the mini in quality of sound .

I have been looking for a mini but interested in hearing your thoughts on the cnx vs the mini. Please keep me in the loop on your findings.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • afterburnt
    For the record I will be doing an apples to apples comparison of the CXN and the Mini. When I do I will post my findings.
  • WagnerRC
    Yes I tried the app and I am using ss drives. I will find the part numbers . It's 2 different brand drives. Thanks

The mini is fantastic for sound quality . I have no complaints there.
  • afterburnt
    @WagnerRC just wondering did you load music before you installed it?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    afterburnt wrote: »
    For the record I will be doing an apples to apples comparison of the CXN and the Mini. When I do I will post my findings.

Granny Smiths or Fujis?
  • WagnerRC
    Samsung Seagate Spinpoint M9T 2TB
    Samsung Seagate Momentus SpinPoint 2TB

These are the drives
  • WagnerRC
    @WagnerRC just wondering did you load music before you installed it?

No i did not, blank

• msg
    edited February 2019
    Does the Initialize Internal Storage option even appear in the app? or does it not get that far?
    https://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/articles/206621237-How-to-Start-Using-Internal-Storage-

From the article above:
    qooqpfhuh6k3.png

I disabled signatures.
  • WagnerRC
    It doesn't get that far.
  • msg
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    It doesn't get that far.
    Do you have the option to set the "Lightning Server Work Mode" to Hard Disk?
    Format?
    I think that's what the Initialize Internal Storage command does, Bruce, but you may not even see that if it won't detect the disk.
    I disabled signatures.
  • WagnerRC
    It just wont detect the disk. No "Lightning Server Work Mode" to Hard Disk?

Thanks
  • msg
    So weird. Not like Seagate's some bobo brand or anything.
    Looks like a pretty straight forward process.

Got the latest firmware too?
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    edited March 2019
    All is lost...Again! PC went back to normal (SNAFU) and I can't find a way to "add" music to the internal HD. And my DSL is down again to boot (to the head).
  • afterburnt
    @voltz Darryl I didn't get "Import Music from USB Drive" as an option.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Maybe the Aries needs a tune up?

h6x0x0zdgfpo.png
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • msg
    I had the wagon version of that when I was a kid. No AC and rear windows that didn't roll down.

It caught fire one day at the foot of a pretty girl's driveway while I was returning her camera for a friend. Her mom was down nearby moving the sprinkler and saw the white cloud coming from the gaps and said, "Oh, is your car running a little hot?" I said, "Yeah, it does that sometimes." She said, "Well, you're welcome to some water," as I popped the hood. It was not steam, it was smoke. And flames. She ran off screaming. I ran up after and grabbed a bit bucket of water and ran back down the driveway wrestling that 5gal bucket, and doused the engine.

Her dad, a well to do gearhead, fixed it up enough for me to get it home.

I thought he was being nice. Thinking back now, remembering the frenzy and determination with which he worked, I realize now that it was simply more likely that he didn't want it sitting there any longer than necessary.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    Maybe the Aries needs a tune up?

h6x0x0zdgfpo.png

Nope mine is reengined with a Pratt & Whitney J75
  • WagnerRC
    I received 2 of these today. Very nice product. Thanks again for the tip.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MOTGS3U3
  • msg
    Nice, Bob, yeah, those little enclosures are pretty nifty. Glad you like 'em.
    Just in case it's not clear to anyone else, they work on both Windows & Mac machines.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    msg wrote: »
    Just in case it's not clear to anyone else, they work on both Windows & Mac machines.

they look clear, what are they?
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    msg wrote: »

they look clear, what are they?

An enclosure for an internal HD that will repurpose it to be used as an external device. I'm looking at the same one for my Seagate HD
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • msg
    That is, indeed, what they are. Nice little enclosure for bus-powered USB disks with a power switch and heatsink. Comes with a handy little bag and short USB 3 cable.
    Works with 2.5" spinning and SSD disks, with the real benefit in the use of SSD with USB 3.0. I mentioned it to Bob as a means of repurposing the SSDs that weren't working in his Mini.

Bit of a side-jack here, Bruce, sorry; it won't do anything to help with your Mini/Network issue. I can try to help you with that when your internet's stable.

Side note here - I heard back on an inquiry to Auralic. They recommend a few brands, the tech specifically recommending the Samsung EVO series, but he said that anything requiring greater than 5v/1A spec would not work correctly in the Mini.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    No side jacked, my threads are jacked from the inception
  • msg
    Bruce, I just messed around with a few things to give you some stuff to check.
    Here's a process I think may help make sure you're set to be able to see everything. This is for Windows 10.
    • Right-click Windows Start Button, click Network Connections
    • Under Network Status Area, verify that you're set to Private Network. If not, then
      • click Change connection properties
      • Set Network Profile to Private
    • Go Back.
    • Click Sharing Options
    • Set Turn on Network Discovery
    • Set Turn on File & Printer Sharing
    • Save Changes
    • Repeat on all machines

Right-click Windows Start Button, click Network Connections
    n2kw4ss4uoc2.png

Under Network Status Area, verify that you're set to Private Network. If not, then
    - click Change connection properties
    - Set Network Profile to Private

01i7zsad6np3.png
    a5jcc9dcusu8.png

Go Back
    Click Sharing Options

t00uy063vlpa.png

Set Turn on Network Discovery
    Set Turn on File & Printer Sharing
    Save Changes

go0cxo0ya2nf.png

I disabled signatures.