McCormack

gwh
gwh Posts: 1,451
Noticed a lot of talk around here how sweet the McCormacks are, all I need is a three channel amp. I've been eyeballing this one on Ebay, seems a little bit on the high side to me.
I currently have an older Parasound on the front three and 99% of what I listen to is whatever I'm watching on dish :)

Should I even bother?

Thanks,
G

https://www.ebay.com/itm/McCormack-Deluxe-Edition-Power-Drive-DNA-HT1-Power-Amplifier-3-Channel/333037491572?hash=item4d8a94d574:g:tDwAAOSwH1pcTLj8:rk:4:pf:1&frcectupt=true

HT:
Martin Logan Motion 40
Martin Logan Motion 50XT
Emotiva Airmotiv E2
SVS SB16 Ultra
Def Tech Reference Sub
Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    TMR is fantastic to deal with. Also, buy direct to save the price bump they do to make up for eBay fees...

https://tmraudio.com/components/power-amplifiers/mccormack-deluxe-edition-power-drive-dna-ht1-power-amplifier-3-channel/

And that is a solid amp.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    TMR is fantastic to deal with.

Gonna have to politely disagree with that.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Clipdat wrote: »

I have purchased and traded many items from TMR. Nothing but first class service. Last item was a Technics R2R that did not have the original box. The packing was unbelievable. Best I have ever encountered in the used market.

o85lcwxhkw9o.jpg

7cvez26oxwjl.jpg

ynjlp686b7xd.jpg
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    gwh wrote: »
    Noticed a lot of talk around here how sweet the McCormacks are, all I need is a three channel amp. I've been eyeballing this one on Ebay, seems a little bit on the high side to me.
    I currently have an older Parasound on the front three and 99% of what I listen to is whatever I'm watching on dish :)

Should I even bother?

Thanks,
    G

https://www.ebay.com/itm/McCormack-Deluxe-Edition-Power-Drive-DNA-HT1-Power-Amplifier-3-Channel/333037491572?hash=item4d8a94d574:g:tDwAAOSwH1pcTLj8:rk:4:pf:1&frcectupt=true

If all your going to use it for is watching TV, then I'd say save your coin, the Parasound is just fine for that. Good price on the amp though for 3 channels.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    tratliff wrote: »

I have purchased and traded many items from TMR. Nothing but first class service. Last item was a Technics R2R that did not have the original box. The packing was unbelievable. Best I have ever encountered in the used market.

o85lcwxhkw9o.jpg

7cvez26oxwjl.jpg

ynjlp686b7xd.jpg

Similar experiences here. I have done a lot of buying and selling with them and the service has always been exceptional.
    When I couldn't sell my LSis for a fair price, I requested a quote from them and we even arranged it for me to drop them off. When I got to their office, I was offered a beverage, given a full tour of the operation and when I expressed how much I liked the Wharfedale Opus bookies they had, they offered to let me bring them home with me for a trial run with them...and I live 2 states away.

I understand everyone has their own experiences but as the old expression goes, for every 1 bad experience you hear about, there are the hundreds of good ones you don't.

Not discounting your experience at all Drew, but it seems to be the exception and not the rule.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I’ve dealt with them a few times. No issues to report. Gear was exactly as described, arrived quickly, packed well. Anytime I had to return, there were no problems.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    I understand everyone has their own experiences but as the old expression goes, for every 1 bad experience you hear about, there are the hundreds of good ones you don't.

Not discounting your experience at all Drew, but it seems to be the exception and not the rule.

I agree that they know how to properly pack things for safe transit. However I find their standards of customer service to be lacking.

I take issue with the fact that they would describe an amplifier that produces an easily audible hum/buzz when powered on as "Operational condition of this item is excellent, fully tested and no issues found."

Furthermore, standing by that description and stance when the item is shipped back to them at the customer's expense because of the noise, and refusing to acknowledge that that is an "issue". And then simply re-listing it for sale with the same inaccurate description and selling it to another customer.

That's a dishonest business practice in my opinion.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    FWIW, I know that one of their sources of used gear is from the PS Audio trade-in/trade-up program...both outfits there in Boulder, CO.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471

I agree that they know how to properly pack things for safe transit. However I find their standards of customer service to be lacking.

I take issue with the fact that they would describe an amplifier that produces an easily audible hum/buzz when powered on as "Operational condition of this item is excellent, fully tested and no issues found."

Furthermore, standing by that description and stance when the item is shipped back to them at the customer's expense because of the noise, and refusing to acknowledge that that is an "issue". And then simply re-listing it for sale with the same inaccurate description and selling it to another customer.

That's a dishonest business practice in my opinion.

I feel your frustration with that situation. However hums/buzzes are a **** to track down & remedy. There are so many potential causes, including the incoming power itself. Just because you experienced a problem doesn't mean they or another buyer did.
  • Clipdat
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I feel your frustration with that situation. However hums/buzzes are a **** to track down & remedy. There are so many potential causes, including the incoming power itself. Just because you experienced a problem doesn't mean they or another buyer did.

I don't want to derail this thread, but the long and short of it is that that particular amp hums/buzzes. That's a fact. It even did so when tested on a completely different power source/building.
  • ZLTFUL wrote: »
    TMR is fantastic to deal with. Also, buy direct to save the price bump they do to make up for eBay fees...

https://tmraudio.com/components/power-amplifiers/mccormack-deluxe-edition-power-drive-dna-ht1-power-amplifier-3-channel/

And that is a solid amp.

Yes The Music Room is straight up a first class act. Got my Acurus A2007 from them and was handled perfectly. I recommend them highly.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!