Warning or FYI about Google Nest

MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited February 2019
    Now all you need is the ring doorbell to go along with the nest to monitor all your family activity.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Yet, the masses gobble that crap up like free candy. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    F1nut wrote: »
    Yet, the masses gobble that crap up like free candy. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

Yep. Just like you gobble up a land line and the internet. Do you have a VPN? If someone really wants to know everything you do on the internet, they can easily. They can tap your calls too. Steal your mail while their at it.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • F1nut
    I try to limit the chances of things like that happening.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    headrott wrote: »
    I just try to be so boring that the people monitoring me, die in the process. Problem solved.

I'm with ya bro.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited February 2019

Apparently it's not even that difficult. Yesterday I received an e-mail from eBAY touting things that they're sure I'm interested in. They had a "was this e-mail helpful?" link at the bottom, to which I replied, in essence, "your algorithms are clueless". Yeah, I realize I was giving ammunition to the natives (so to speak), but it wouldn't take a rocket computer scientist to figure out that "Altec" and "Altec" are two disparate things ;)

hcefo79exb23.png
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2019
    ... of course, I guess it could've been worse. They could've started sending me auctions for Altec...

at62hwlgipj0.png
    tv0xcfcajoxi.png

Of course, I'd rather have one of these than a Bluetooth speaker -- come to think of it.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I just try to be so boring that the people monitoring me, die in the process. Problem solved.

I'm with ya bro.

That’s how I see it. If you’re an upstanding citizen not doing anything wrong or illegal then you’re probably not worth paying attention to. Nobody cares about decent, boring people!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Anyone who has a cell phone has the potential to be monitored. More than any Alexa, google or any home networked device.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2019
    My cell phone is a) not smart and b) turned off when I don't need to use it.
    Plus, there's no cell signal at our house.

Folks make risk/benefit decisions all of the time* -- the ownership and use of a "smart" phone, or any other IOT/"smart" gizmos, TVs, refrigerators, what have you, are choices -- at least for the present.

I have no doubt that, sooner or later, we'll all be forced into the use of such platforms. With luck, by then, I'll be dead! :)

EDIT: Mind you, I know I don't have a small internet footprint; that is a different matter entriely :)

Full disclosure, I do have a new car, which pays way more attention to what I'm up to than I would prefer... but this was absolutely a choice on my part (i.e., I am really in no position to complain). My 2002 Tacoma is still pretty clueless,though ;)

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862

Mission accomplished!! ;)
  • mhardy6647
    I think the intelligent algorithms that monitor our chatter work in a manner akin to Gary Larson's assessment of dogs.

cg5b78jjgmeu.png

i.e., they're selective.

• mhardy6647
    for completeness:

lvc1t27iy2js.png
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Anyone who has a cell phone has the potential to be monitored. More than any Alexa, google or any home networked device.
    ^This.

99% of the population are within range of their cell phones mic, a laptops built in mic, or other listening device, such as I iPad, Tablet, etc for most of their day. The smart devices have not even come close to the market saturation of those devices.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited February 2019
    Look at how this Smollett's guys scam came to an end.

CHICAGO (AP) — Police tapped into Chicago's vast network of surveillance cameras — and even some homeowners' doorbell cameras — to track down two brothers who later claimed they were paid by "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett to stage an attack on him, the latest example of the city's high-tech approach to public safety.
    Officers said they reviewed video from more than four dozen cameras to trace the brothers' movements before and after the reported attack, determining where they lived and who they were before arresting them a little more than two weeks later.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Plus he paid them with a personal check? Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Google probably has your DNA by now
  • I remember when Jerry Springer was the mayor of Cincinnati. He got busted by paying a hooker with a personal check.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Some thieving woman used a stolen check to buy some stuff at the grocery store. She used her own key chain thingy for that store to get discounted pricing. ( Habit maybe ?)

The cops were quick to arrest her at home. :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    I wonder how they filmed Robert Kraft doing the wild thing?
    Carl

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I wonder how they filmed Robert Kraft doing the wild thing?

They just googled it.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Rumor has it Kraft is not the biggest fish on the on the list? More to come?

Jesse ‘s personal check.
    Peace. D
    bgchp0x9zi43.png